1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Chewing Up Belts/Water Pump Pulley Out Of Alignment - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T_F_E
Press the power steering pump pulley on another 1/8 inch

Originally Posted by ReBilld
I think he is on the right track, but use a pulley remover and pull it out a little instead of pressing it in farther. My belt does the same thing, and I think that is the issue with mine....I think it is anyway. Just haven't done anything with it yet. But, just like yours, it will chew the last rib toward the block up, then it is fine. I'm gonna try pulling the power steering pulley out just a little before I do anything.

T_F_E and ReBild put me on the right track - pulling the pulley *out* about 1/8" to 3/16" allowed everything to *just* be within tolerances and the belt stopped rubbing. Time will tell if there's any other sign of accelerated wear but I *think* the deliberate misalignment is within a serpentine drive's allowable deflection. This has to be the first time ever that the stupid pressed-on pulley idea worked to someone's advantage.

Originally Posted by Vertrees
I have never had this issue myself, but if I had to guess i would assume the water pump tolerance is out of whack. 9 times out of 10 the water pump as been replaced on that truck. If so the replacement may be a cheaply made one.

I am a prior machinist, and I have seen a lot of companies hire right off the street. Give these guys a couple weeks to train with one of there other guys (who was probably off the street when they started) before assigning a machine. I will not name any company, but particularly I was offered a job at a company making rifles. They wanted me to teach their guys how to teach the tooling to the CNC machines, write programs, and fix glitches in programs as they came up.

It would not surprise me in the least if automotive industries are doing the same. The quality control often misses little things like this.
I think I figured this out, thanks to some prompting in your post above. I found a lot of people reporting this same problem with their trucks. It occurred to me that the vast majority of the posters had 1995 trucks, or had the engine from a 1995. 95 is the half year change truck, where halfway through the production year a lot changed from the 94.5-early 95 over to more or less the 96-97 standard (the 7 to 8 rib change is one thing, though the fuel bowl didn't change until 96). I did some digging and found this in the Gates catalog:

Water Pump Part Numbers:
94.5: 45007
95: 45007
96: 45000
97: 45000

Every other major aftermarket parts maker I could find had a similar situation; GMB, Bosch, Cardone, even Motorcraft! They don't even list a half-year breakover.

I think we found our problem. People are buying the pumps called out in the catalog for the 1995 and getting the pump intended for the 7 rib belt drive trucks. Only thing is, if they have a late 95 with the 8 rib belt, the spacing's wrong and it chews up the belt with no outward sign of this being the problem.

Proposed moral of story: If you have an 8 rib 1995, order the pump for a 1996 or you will get the wrong pump and have the same puzzle I did.

Maybe we should put this in the stickied tech post?

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-08-2015, 01:18 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Spktyr
This has to be the first time ever that the stupid pressed-on pulley idea worked to someone's advantage.
First time ever? Um, isn't the ability to align it the very reason that these pulleys are pressed on?

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
First time ever? Um, isn't the ability to align it the very reason that these pulleys are pressed on?
No, the pressed on pulley is there so they can save a lot of money on assembly. It's easy for an automated hydraulic press to just slam on whatever pulley is required, instead of having to have someone install three or four screws to a precise torque.

There's a reason that only the Big Three ever used this design. Unless they were using a US power steering pump, just about nobody else in the post war era ever did. None of the Europeans, none of the Japanese. They used bolt-on pulleys, which are much easier to service and easier to precisely shim into alignment.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:28 AM
bob yankus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 f250, 360k miles on original waterpump.

Had a belt rubbing on the inside of the water pump pulley on a new water pump and power steering pump install. Was focusing on the water pump being the problem till a found this thread.

Pulled power steering pulley out about 1/16 inch, perfectly in line now. The power steering pump shaft does have some in and out travel, It must of been near it's limit and was not allowing it to float enough. Thanks for the tips.

Be carefull now to check the vacuum pump pulley alinement. A straight edge starting from the Harmonic balance can solve a lot of problems.

Bob

Old 07-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I've had this issue.

Adjust the power steering pump out from the block. it seems fine, but you gotta pull it out further otherwise the belt will walk up and down the waterpump pulley and chew it up.
took me 3 years to figure out the issue.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Vertrees
I have never had this issue myself, but if I had to guess i would assume the water pump tolerance is out of whack. 9 times out of 10 the water pump as been replaced on that truck. If so the replacement may be a cheaply made one.

I am a prior machinist, and I have seen a lot of companies hire right off the street. Give these guys a couple weeks to train with one of there other guys (who was probably off the street when they started) before assigning a machine. I will not name any company, but particularly I was offered a job at a company making rifles. They wanted me to teach their guys how to teach the tooling to the CNC machines, write programs, and fix glitches in programs as they came up.

It would not surprise me in the least if automotive industries are doing the same. The quality control often misses little things like this.
I work at a plant that makes OEM auto parts, and I got a couple of *days* of training. I'm not running equipment, though. So take that for what it's worth.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Jeff heine
Senior User
Water pump

Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM
boat567b
New User
Originally Posted by Spktyr
My truck has had this problem since I got it a couple of years ago but now it's really pissing me off. I've checked the archives and not found a definitive answer. It *quickly* chews off the last rib on the serpentine belt, the one closest to the block. However, after that it would run indefinitely on the remaining 7 ribs.

The FEAD belt on the front of the engine is supposed to be an 8 rib model on my truck by production date. Most of the engine driven accessories on the truck when I got it were 8 rib except the pulley on the alternator, which I quickly replaced. That didn't solve the problem but I couldn't see anything else that could cause it so I had to leave it alone.

Over the course of the last couple years, I replaced the alternator, idler pulley, a/c compressor and I did the conversion to the Super Duty style tensioner. Recently my vacuum pump failed in fairly spectacular fashion; the belt just started disintegrating before I could get home and shut it down - it was down to 4 ribs at the end. I was able to replace the pump last night but due to a surprise rain storm I didn't get the belt on. I installed the special Motorcraft belt that the SD conversion required, carefully checked that the belt was properly installed on all pulleys and cranked it up. I immediately heard squeaking and saw wear on the back edge of the belt. I shut down the engine and went checking belt installation and pulley alignment. Didn't see anything wrong, so I fired it back up and looked hard at all the pulleys. What I finally saw is the water pump pulley is sticking out too far in front; the belt is running into and trying to climb the back lip, which is causing damage.

The water pump pulley is not wobbling, neither is the fan. Every other pulley is correctly aligned with each other and the tensioner is obviously recently replaced. The water pump seems to be working fine, no significant weepage and spins well when the belt is removed.

Pictures are clickable for larger versions.

Is there any way to fix this short of replacing the water pump and hoping that it somehow changes clearances? Do I maybe have an IDI pulley instead of what I'm supposed to have? There seems to be enough room in the drive area of the pulley for the 8 rib belt, but it's just jammed against the back edge.
ive got same issue im going to pull power sterring pully out ive had ot to dealer 3 times they can not fix it

Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM
AZFX4
Senior User
I have this issue on th 4.0 V6 in my Bronco II but I just live with 1 less rib on the belt...I assumed it was related to removing the AC comp. but come to think of it I think I did install a new WP when I installed the engine so maybe thats causing the problem.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Play Harder
2nd Gear

I replaced the ENTIRE contraption as ONE UNIT, not disturbing anything and the problem is still solved.
UPDATE: To fix my problem [chewing up the belt and walking itself off via the power steering pump], I went to a salvage yard and found a 4.9L (VIN: K) engine/truck that had PERFECT belt alignment. I then removed the entire bracket with power steering pump and tensioner UNTOUCHED and installed everything as ONE UNIT onto my truck.

Immediately I could visually see the difference! In my case, the driver's side pulleys (tensioner, power steering pump and A/C) did not even LOOK straight compared to the other pulleys on the passenger side.

So, I replaced that entire bracket, installed ALL the bolts [including the additional support bracket for the A/C to PSteering pump, smaller bracket] and NO PROBLEMS WITH ALIGNMENT OR BELT WEAR SINCE!