1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering shaft u joint help! Pic

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pushed the u joint further down in the splined output shaft and now it clears. It's really close, so I think I'll grind down a little header flange a little. If that's not good enough, I might shim the rack n pinion a little to change the angle just a smudge. This isn't permanent, I just want to steer so I can start it and go through the gears and check my transmission vacuum line and brakes.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:41 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I would index the point on the steer shaft where the set allen screw contacts to get the allen screw lower, than bevel the jamb nuts =2 and see where it goes.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you remove the set screw's and jam nuts from the bottom joint and weld it to the shaft?

Old 06-28-2015, 04:23 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nicholas+
Can you remove the set screw's and jam nuts from the bottom joint and weld it to the shaft?

I wish I would have thought of deleting the whole mess through welding. So, ....or, leave the set screws in place, grind them flush, and then weld the shaft to the u-joint.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:14 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would use the screws to center the shaft in the joint. Then weld the shaft to the coupler. Remove the set screws and put in a few plug welds where they used to be.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:25 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
If it isn't permanent, don't weld it. There is more than enough space on that header flange to grind a nice V notch in it and get all the clearance you need. If you weld and then find you need other adjustments, you may well be in real trouble, or even have wasted the u-joint.
I'd grind in along the same lines as the shoulder on the header bolt, about an 1/8 of an inch away, then come straight in from the shaft to meet the other cut. That should give plenty of room, even if you have to move the joint up again.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:42 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
I think once I get the truck driving, then I'll consider welding the u joint to the shaft. I'll shave down the exhaust header a little for now. Moving onto lokar transmission shifter. Thanks for all your help fellas

Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd want an inch, myself. There shouldn't be any way, under any circumstances, that the engine can touch the steering. Cooking the joints with exhaust heat isn't going to do them any good, either.
In a fantasy world maybe, but without different/heavily modified headers or drastically offsetting the engine, (or swapping in a I-6 ) there is no way to get anywhere near that much clearance. Engine torque movement is rotational around the crankshaft and with commonly used engine mounts it's likely to move the clearance apart rather than closer together. Except for a highly modified torque monster motor today's engines don't really move that much, production engine compartments have gotten a lot tighter, they can't be jumping all over, so old rubber mounts have been replaced with much more controlling engineered urethane pads. Those look to be SS needle bearing U joints, so damage from heat soaking shouldn't be an issue, but welding would be.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:07 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
I pushed the u joint further down in the splined output shaft and now it clears. It's really close, so I think I'll grind down a little header flange a little. If that's not good enough, I might shim the rack n pinion a little to change the angle just a smudge. This isn't permanent, I just want to steer so I can start it and go through the gears and check my transmission vacuum line and brakes.
Be sure the shaft has enough clearance between it and the U joint trunion so it doesn't bind. (See pg 28 of Borgeson catalog.) a small amount <3/32" could be ground off end of rack input shaft if needed for clearance (also see caution on welding on pg 30) : www.borgeson.com/Images/09Catalog.pdf

Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
I think once I get the truck driving, then I'll consider welding the u joint to the shaft. I'll shave down the exhaust header a little for now. Moving onto lokar transmission shifter. Thanks for all your help fellas
Did you read what Borgeson had to say about welding U joints? Plus you can't weld SS to mild steel, so you would need to buy mild steel u joints. There are better solutions.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:08 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If it were mine I would not leave it as is, just too close for me. If the exhaust cant be modded I would add a 3rd joint and support bearing.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
If it were mine I would not leave it as is, just too close for me. If the exhaust cant be modded I would add a 3rd joint and support bearing.
Exactly!

Old 06-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My old setup had an eyelet type of fitting welded to the chassis rail. The bar fed through it and another set of unis ran another piece of rod to the uni at your column.
Like this (not a very good picture of it, but you can see the chrome thing to the left. This cleared the exhaust in this instance (ignore the welded joints- the whole thing was taken out, but that may be an option?
another example (not my truck- though I wish it was) I just typed in "support DD shaft" in google and got a whole heap of pictures of women in large bras! Heheh. I'm innocent! Really!

Old 06-28-2015, 11:33 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Seems to me the whole mess could be avoided with a rear dump exhaust collector, rather than a center dump. Perhaps it's at least something for others to keep in mind when doing a MII install. Peter's pic above seems to call out the same thing, as well. My 2c.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Seems to me the whole mess could be avoided with a rear dump exhaust collector, rather than a center dump. Perhaps it's at least something for others to keep in mind when doing a MII install. Peter's pic above seems to call out the same thing, as well. My 2c.

These are the headers that fit so I went with those. Seems like if it's not one hurdle, it's another.

Quick Reply: Steering shaft u joint help! Pic