Sponsored by:

1st Post - New (to me) 2003 w/ 231,000 miles - Needs front suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:16 PM
done12many2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by done12many2
After confirming that I need to replace ball joints and hub assemblies, and upon seeing all the rust on the adjustment sleeves and other steering components, I've decided to replace the tie rods and other steering parts.

I plan to order the Ball Joint Kit and the Steering Kit.

Can anyone verify that the following will work for me?

XRF Ford Truck Front End Kits | Front End Kits available from American Undercar

Looks like these were the right kits.

Oddly enough, you save quite a bit of money ordering the two kits from the same company, but through their eBay store instead of their website.

The steering kit was listed as $369 and the ball joint kit as $125 with free shipping on thetireclub.com, but $299 and $129 on their eBay store with free shipping as well.

So far, I'm pretty happy with parts hunt.

Timken Hub Assembly x 2 - $347.04 shipped
XRF Steering Kit - $299 shipped
XRF Ball Joint Kit (all 4) - $129 shipped
Michelin LTX M/S2 tires x 4 - $852.76 shipped

I'll start working on replacing all the filters and fluids while I'm waiting on these parts to show up.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 PM
sfoltz
Junior User

The underneath of your X looks like mine, especially the oil pan.

I'm setting up to replace front end parts too so thanks for the link and part numbers.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 AM
done12many2
Junior User
Originally Posted by sfoltz
The underneath of your X looks like mine, especially the oil pan.

I'm setting up to replace front end parts too so thanks for the link and part numbers.
Sean,

Here are the kits broken down even further in case you decide to order things individually due to not needing a part.

XRF Steering Kit
1- DS1438 Drag Link pass side Greasable
1- ES3426s Sleeve
1- ES3427t Tie Rod at pitman arm , connects to drag link Greasable
1- DS1439 Drag Link pass side Greasable
1- ES3422s Sleeve
1- ES3423 Tie Rod drivers side outer, conn to pass side drag link geaseable

Ball Joint Kit
2- K8607T Lower ball joints
2- K80026 Upper Ball joints

Here's a link to XRF's catalog. After inputting the information for my vehicle, I was surprised by the amount of replacement parts that XRF makes for the Excursion.

http://showmetheparts.com/xrf/

Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM
obiwan kenobi
Mountain Pass
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like these were the right kits.

Oddly enough, you save quite a bit of money ordering the two kits from the same company, but through their eBay store instead of their website.

The steering kit was listed as $369 and the ball joint kit as $125 with free shipping on thetireclub.com, but $299 and $129 on their eBay store with free shipping as well.
The parts are on amazon and if you have prime free shipping for a grand total of $290
1- ES3426s Sleeve
1- ES3422s Sleeve

Old 07-02-2015, 09:28 AM
done12many2
Junior User
Originally Posted by obiwan kenobi
The parts are on amazon and if you have prime free shipping for a grand total of $290
1- ES3426s Sleeve
1- ES3422s Sleeve
Thanks. I do have prime and I'll keep that in mind.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:02 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Once I get done with the front end and anything else that needs attention before driving the Ex regularly, I'll definitely look this setup. I appreciate the information.
Congrats on the X.

I'd check if yours came with a rear sway bar- being a performance guy, you can imagine how absurd it would be to not have one on a vehicle this large and top-heavy. If it doesn't, you can get one cheap and easy from an F350 at Pick n Pull (or similar). Hellwig makes a good one, too.

Best/ cheapest mod I've made!

Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
done12many2
Junior User
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
Congrats on the X.

I'd check if yours came with a rear sway bar- being a performance guy, you can imagine how absurd it would be to not have one on a vehicle this large and top-heavy. If it doesn't, you can get one cheap and easy from an F350 at Pick n Pull (or similar). Hellwig makes a good one, too.

Best/ cheapest mod I've made!
You see, it's stuff like this that makes the FTE/Excursion forum community better than any other forum I'm a member of. As I read back through many old threads trying to learn more about my recently purchased Ex, I realize that the people here just seem to share their knowledge without expectation. Fantastic community!

I should have bought a Ford sooner.

Back on topic, I just checked and I guess I'm lucky because it already has a rear sway. The Ex actually rides pretty damn good considering it's age, horrible tires, shot ball joints, and bad bearings. It's definitely not as smooth as our other people hauler, but it is capable of a great deal more.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Old 07-02-2015, 06:01 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You see, it's stuff like this that makes the FTE/Excursion forum community better than any other forum I'm a member of. As I read back through many old threads trying to learn more about my recently purchased Ex, I realize that the people here just seem to share their knowledge without expectation. Fantastic community!

I should have bought a Ford sooner.

Back on topic, I just checked and I guess I'm lucky because it already has a rear sway. The Ex actually rides pretty damn good considering it's age, horrible tires, shot ball joints, and bad bearings. It's definitely not as smooth as our other people hauler, but it is capable of a great deal more.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Your other people hauler must not be a straight axel 3/4TON 4x4

Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 PM
done12many2
Junior User
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Your other people hauler must not be a straight axel 3/4TON 4x4
Very far from it. FWD 4.0 V6 beast known as the Chrysler Town & Country Limited. Well at least my wife drives it like she thinks it's a beast.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 PM
done12many2
Junior User
I just got the new stock sized Michelin LTX M/S2 tires mounted and balanced and it made a dramatic difference! I can't believe that the previous owner was driving around on the last set of tires.

In addition to the other parts ordered, I just ordered four new Monroe Reflex shocks. Like anyone else, I was trying to get them as cheap as possible so I hunted around and found them on Amazon for the lowest price. I looked at Advance Auto because they have a Lifetime Warranty if purchased through them, but their price was much higher. I started doing the math and figured that if I split the order into two separate purchases through Advance Auto, I could use the online discount code that gives you $40 off for every $110 spent. I had a $5 discount remaining through the SpeedPerks and then I found out that there was a 20% rebate if you bought at least 4 qualifying Monroe shocks. This is a really long way of telling you that all said and done, four new Monroe Reflex shocks will have cost me $123.68 with a Lifetime Replacement through Advance Auto.

The initial vehicle purchase plus the maintenance costs still has me feeling pretty good about buying this beast.

In-progress/Completed Maintenance

1- ES3426s Sleeve
1- ES3422s Sleeve
Ball Joint Kit - $129 shipped
Monroe Reflex Shocks x 4 - $123.68
Mounting/Balance w Lifetime Balance - $54.95

Not counting the title and registration fees along with Virginia's outstanding road tax, I'm sitting at $10,306.43 total invested so far including the original purchase price.

Additional Repairs Needed

Clunking sound from front end - I think this will correct itself once I change the ball joints and bearings. The noise happens to be coming predominantly from the same side as the shot ball joints so I'm pretty optimistic.

Stuck passenger side hub - It's completely frozen in the auto position. 4 wheel drive works fine and when disengaged, the wheel spins freely independent of the axle, so I'll fix the hub whenever.

Overhead center console display - Not important, but I'll fix it whenever. It has a broken lid on one of the overhead storage compartments that doesn't close easily so I'll probably replace it when I get around to it.

Once all the maintenance stuff is done and I know that the vehicle is truly sound, I'll get started with the clean up which has yet to be done. Amazingly, I only found one scratch on the front bumper and no dents in the body at all. Everything else will definitely come out with some compound, polish and wax. The carpet is free of tears and bad staining, but the front seats need recovering.

As a bonus, my county requires emission inspections, which is why my Pontiac still has out of state plates. When I was registering the Ex, I found out that it doesn't require an emissions inspection at all based purely on the fact that it's over the weight limit requirement. I've had a hell of a time trying to get some of my previous used cars to pass emissions so that's another reason to keep it running for as long as I can.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:18 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the new stock sized Michelin LTX M/S2 tires mounted and balanced and it made a dramatic difference! I can't believe that the previous owner was driving around on the last set of tires.

In addition to the other parts ordered, I just ordered four new Monroe Reflex shocks. Like anyone else, I was trying to get them as cheap as possible so I hunted around and found them on Amazon for the lowest price. I looked at Advance Auto because they have a Lifetime Warranty if purchased through them, but their price was much higher. I started doing the math and figured that if I split the order into two separate purchases through Advance Auto, I could use the online discount code that gives you $40 off for every $110 spent. I had a $5 discount remaining through the SpeedPerks and then I found out that there was a 20% rebate if you bought at least 4 qualifying Monroe shocks. This is a really long way of telling you that all said and done, four new Monroe Reflex shocks will have cost me $123.68 with a Lifetime Replacement through Advance Auto.

The initial vehicle purchase plus the maintenance costs still has me feeling pretty good about buying this beast.

In-progress/Completed Maintenance

1- ES3426s Sleeve
1- ES3422s Sleeve
Ball Joint Kit - $129 shipped
Monroe Reflex Shocks x 4 - $123.68
Mounting/Balance w Lifetime Balance - $54.95

Not counting the title and registration fees along with Virginia's outstanding road tax, I'm sitting at $10,306.43 total invested so far including the original purchase price.

Additional Repairs Needed

Clunking sound from front end - I think this will correct itself once I change the ball joints and bearings. The noise happens to be coming predominantly from the same side as the shot ball joints so I'm pretty optimistic.

Stuck passenger side hub - It's completely frozen in the auto position. 4 wheel drive works fine and when disengaged, the wheel spins freely independent of the axle, so I'll fix the hub whenever.

Overhead center console display - Not important, but I'll fix it whenever. It has a broken lid on one of the overhead storage compartments that doesn't close easily so I'll probably replace it when I get around to it.

Once all the maintenance stuff is done and I know that the vehicle is truly sound, I'll get started with the clean up which has yet to be done. Amazingly, I only found one scratch on the front bumper and no dents in the body at all. Everything else will definitely come out with some compound, polish and wax. The carpet is free of tears and bad staining, but the front seats need recovering.

As a bonus, my county requires emission inspections, which is why my Pontiac still has out of state plates. When I was registering the Ex, I found out that it doesn't require an emissions inspection at all based purely on the fact that it's over the weight limit requirement. I've had a hell of a time trying to get some of my previous used cars to pass emissions so that's another reason to keep it running for as long as I can.

Order & replace the front sway bar end links while your under the frontend. Very likely the CLUNK mentioned above.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:19 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Clunking sound from front end: might also be a loose front anti-sway bar link or bushings. Might also be a drive shaft slip joint in need of lube.

While you're in there, pump some grease (down the ABS sensor hole) into the non-serviceable unit bearing for some additional life.

Oh, and Welcome!!

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2015, 11:43 AM
done12many2
Junior User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Clunking sound from front end: might also be a loose front anti-sway bar link or bushings. Might also be a drive shaft slip joint in need of lube.

While you're in there, pump some grease (down the ABS sensor hole) into the non-serviceable unit bearing for some additional life.

Oh, and Welcome!!
Sean,

You were spot on. The sway bar links joints were shot and the bushing on the sway bar were worn badly so I replaced them all. Problem resolved.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:46 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Woohoo, sometimes we get lucky with a volley of ideas!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:07 PM
azex2001
Junior User
Welcome to the clan. I'm sure with some research you'll find tons of projects to work on: door lock actuators, rear lift struts, door seals, fuel tank mods...

Quick Reply: 1st Post - New (to me) 2003 w/ 231,000 miles - Needs front suspension work