1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 F1 "Attempt to do something" project thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:29 PM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a great cab cart you have there!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:00 AM
The Hill Boys
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougofMontana
That's a great cab cart you have there!

Thanks! We have the truck stored on the side of the house and have landscape rocks instead of a pad so I needed the bigger rubber tires. It worked like a charm.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Re-assembly

Originally Posted by The Hill Boys
Starting to build up quite a pile in the side yard.... Really hope there are "re-assembly" pics down the line!
Yes re-assembly.......that's where the pictures and taking notes come in

Spent many hours at junk yards looking for cars similar to my donor so I could get the parts in the right places. Also handy to list the parts you will use, to reference later on when buying replacements.

Keep at it, showing good progress.

Tom

Old 01-03-2016, 11:16 AM
The Hill Boys
Junior User
Originally Posted by tip49
Yes re-assembly.......that's where the pictures and taking notes come in

Spent many hours at junk yards looking for cars similar to my donor so I could get the parts in the right places. Also handy to list the parts you will use, to reference later on when buying replacements.

Keep at it, showing good progress.

Tom
We were thinking about heading over to Pamona on the 17th to see what they might have.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 AM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Great project, it will be a nice one when complete. I just started one with my Grandson. I got the rear end out went through bearings seal and repainted rear axle and springs. will finish it today. That is phase 1 of our journey. got the cab stripped out and ready to remove. You and your son work safe and good luck.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Cool build. Looking forward to watching your progress

Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 AM
The Hill Boys
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jim and Austin
Great project, it will be a nice one when complete. I just started one with my Grandson. I got the rear end out went through bearings seal and repainted rear axle and springs. will finish it today. That is phase 1 of our journey. got the cab stripped out and ready to remove. You and your son work safe and good luck.

Thank you! I will be watching your build as well. Thank you for spending time with your grandson. We need a lot more of that in the world today.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 AM
The Hill Boys
Junior User
Originally Posted by Oldcrowbarber
Cool build. Looking forward to watching your progress
Thanks! I will be interesting if nothing else!

Old 01-11-2016, 07:17 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
great work thus far, look forward to seeing progress

Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 AM
The Hill Boys
Junior User
A first for both of us, using an engine hoist....

It's easier to move now!

Questions...

1) What should we do with the engine block and transmission? Is this something someone might have an interest in or just take it to the scrap yard?

2) Rear axle/leaf spring removal. Never done this before either. Can we just remove the leaf springs from the shackle and leave connected to the axle? We will be swapping out the axle and I am assuming we will be putting in new leaf springs. Do we lift the frame and place on stands to remove pins? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron and Ryan

Old 01-17-2016, 11:36 AM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Ron & Ryan, you are doing the same things I did to my '49 F1 when I started. I sold all the parts to other builders, except the rear axle and springs so far. There is a couple great threads here on FTE about how to remove the springs from the shackles. I traded mine out for a 2000 Explorer diff and 2000 Dakota springs/shackles. You all are making GREAT progress!

Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Great Progress

R&R

Things are progressing nicely; keep the pace going!

If the shackles and bushings are not too far gone; I would consider using the stock rear springs , if feasible. I know in hind sight I would like to have remained with the stock springs. Probably a pretty stiff ride but some have "softened the ride" by removing leafs.

I used 2001 Explorer rear, axle on top of springs, and made spring mounts at stock mounting holes.

Nissan Pathfinder were my choice of rear springs because of length, which surprising gives me a "stiff" ride.

Can't remember if you are using AOD with 5.0 L for power train.

Tom

Old 01-17-2016, 02:05 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Your project is really coming along, looks Good! Definitely save the engine, good exhaust manifolds are hard to come by. The half bellhousing that is bolted to the front of the 4 speed transmission case is valuable for T5 transmission swaps to flatheads. The rest of the 4 speed is probably scrap.
BTW, I noticed your Ranger boat. They are built only about 15 miles from me. Most of my family, including myself has worked there. My Dad retired 7 or 8 years ago as the head of the tooling department.
Mark

Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM
The Hill Boys
Junior User
Originally Posted by DougofMontana
Ron & Ryan, you are doing the same things I did to my '49 F1 when I started. I sold all the parts to other builders, except the rear axle and springs so far. There is a couple great threads here on FTE about how to remove the springs from the shackles. I traded mine out for a 2000 Explorer diff and 2000 Dakota springs/shackles. You all are making GREAT progress!
Thank you! I'll do some research on the threads you referred to.

Originally Posted by tip49
R&R

Things are progressing nicely; keep the pace going!

If the shackles and bushings are not too far gone; I would consider using the stock rear springs , if feasible. I know in hind sight I would like to have remained with the stock springs. Probably a pretty stiff ride but some have "softened the ride" by removing leafs.

I used 2001 Explorer rear, axle on top of springs, and made spring mounts at stock mounting holes.

Nissan Pathfinder were my choice of rear springs because of length, which surprising gives me a "stiff" ride.

Can't remember if you are using AOD with 5.0 L for power train.

Tom
We are putting a 302 in. Ryan just came across a guy at school that is going to sell him a 9 inch rear end out of a 1971 F-100 (w/posi) and a AOD out of a 1991 Ford F-100.

Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
Your project is really coming along, looks Good! Definitely save the engine, good exhaust manifolds are hard to come by. The half bellhousing that is bolted to the front of the 4 speed transmission case is valuable for T5 transmission swaps to flatheads. The rest of the 4 speed is probably scrap.
BTW, I noticed your Ranger boat. They are built only about 15 miles from me. Most of my family, including myself has worked there. My Dad retired 7 or 8 years ago as the head of the tooling department.
Mark
Thank you! We bought the Ranger last spring. It's a 1999 Reata. I never though I would own a Ranger. We love it. Tip of the hat to your family!

Old 11-16-2016, 08:54 PM
KirkF
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Any Progress on your build?

Kirk

Quick Reply: 1948 F1 "Attempt to do something" project thread