Sponsored by: Moser

2010 F-150 Instrument Panel Issue & Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:30 PM
torbic968
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F-150 Instrument Panel Issue & Limp Mode

I have a 2010 F-150 5.4L Supercrew Lariat that has a bizarre problem that my dealer has not been able to correct for the last two weeks. My instrument panel begins flashing multiple warning lights, ABS, Brakes,Engine Light, Trsction Control. Theywill flash and go out then the limp mode box will illuminate and the truck will go into limp mode or clear itself. The dealer gave me an old OBD scanner that I can clear the code with so I'm not stuck because it is completely random when this occurs. If you cycle the truck on and off it will clear as well but not everytime. I have it at the dealer again and have a rental if anyone has experienced anything similiar please let me know. The dealer just changed out all my plugs a week ago for service and said that I had a misfire in the engine that could have caused the issue but the problem occurred the same night that I picked up my truck and two more times last weekend. Hope someone has some advice or insight becasue it has my dealer stumped.

Last edited by torbic968; 06-25-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: incomplete submission
Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
I ha a 13 Fiesta that started to do the same thing. There was a TSB to repair and engine harness connector. You may have a bad connection in the engine harness somewhere. I know it does not help much but something to make the dealer look for

Matt

Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 PM
torbic968
New User
Thanks Matt I will let them know.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:42 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by torbic968
I have a 2010 F-150 5.4L Supercrew Lariat that has a bizarre problem that my dealer has not been able to correct for the last two weeks. My instrument panel begins flashing multiple warning lights, ABS, Brakes,Engine Light, Trsction Control...
Welcome to the forum, torbic968. I'm the Ford Service rep here; let's see what I can do to help solve this puzzle. How many miles are on your truck currently? Have you heard anything new from the dealership today?

Crystal

Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 AM
torbic968
New User
Crystal i have 140k on the truck and it was just serviced to change out all the.plugs. The dealer drove the truck home last night to see if the problem could be identified as its not something that is occurring every day. They've had it in the shop all week long. The problem first arose about two weeks ago after I had the front left tire repaired for a slow leak. Since the ABS light was coming on I thought there could have been some damage done to the sensor on the wheel but since it goes into limp mode I don't think that work had anything to do with the problem. They have had my instrument panel off and have checked the connections but still no luck. I'm assign it is a problem somewhere within a harness

Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal i have 140k on the truck and it was just serviced to change out all the.plugs. The dealer drove the truck home last night to see if the problem could be identified as its not something that is occurring every day...
Thanks for the quick reply, torbic968; it sounds like your dealership is hard at work on this. Come back and tell us how things progress.

Crystal

Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 PM
mccorpa
New User
2010 F150 Lariat with 5.4 same problem. Truck drives fine until in stop and go traffic, then flashes all gauges drops into limp home mode. On recommendation replaced the accelerator pedal and its related switch, cleaned the Throttle Body, problem not resolved.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:29 AM
MNGolfer
New User
I have a 2010 F-150 5.4L Supercrew Lariat that has a bizarre problem that my dealer has not been able to correct for the last two weeks. My instrument panel begins flashing multiple warning lights, ABS, Brakes,Engine Light, Trsction Control. Theywill flash and go out then the limp mode box will illuminate and the truck will go into limp mode or clear itself. The dealer gave me an old OBD scanner that I can clear the code with so I'm not stuck because it is completely random when this occurs. If you cycle the truck on and off it will clear as well but not everytime. I have it at the dealer again and have a rental if anyone has experienced anything similiar please let me know. The dealer just changed out all my plugs a week ago for service and said that I had a misfire in the engine that could have caused the issue but the problem occurred the same night that I picked up my truck and two more times last weekend. Hope someone has some advice or insight becasue it has my dealer stumped.
We have a 2010 Lariat Crew and have had the instrument cluster go nuts with the lights, no less than 4 times. It has never happened while we were driving. It has always happened when we go to use the truck. First symptom was headlights flashing every few minutes. Keyless entry does not work, interior lighting does not come on when entering the truck, memory seat does not respond when putting the key in the ignition. Truck will start, but instrument cluster goes nuts as you described. The truck labors to start and then the shift lever is locked and unable to put the truck in gear. Have always cleared the problem by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes and the reconnecting it. Then truck is good to go. Have had the battery go dead on me a couple of times after the truck has sat for several days and I am convinced the truck is going into this odd mode of behavior when we are gone. It is not the battery. Last time, took the truck to the dealer and they had it for 10 days and never found anything. No fail code, so they don't know where to start. They said there was normal draw from the battery. Personal opinion is the body control module is getting hosed up. Dealer said to have it towed next time it happens.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by mccorpa
2010 F150 Lariat with 5.4 same problem. Truck drives fine until in stop and go traffic, then flashes all gauges drops into limp home mode. On recommendation replaced the accelerator pedal and its related switch, cleaned the Throttle Body, problem not resolved.
Hi mccorpa,

Did you do the work yourself or were you working with your local Ford Dealership? How many miles are on your truck? I'll research some ways to help.

Crystal

Old 02-14-2016, 11:45 AM
MNGolfer
New User
Here we go again

Originally Posted by MNGolfer
We have a 2010 Lariat Crew and have had the instrument cluster go nuts with the lights, no less than 4 times. It has never happened while we were driving. It has always happened when we go to use the truck. First symptom was headlights flashing every few minutes. Keyless entry does not work, interior lighting does not come on when entering the truck, memory seat does not respond when putting the key in the ignition. Truck will start, but instrument cluster goes nuts as you described. The truck labors to start and then the shift lever is locked and unable to put the truck in gear. Have always cleared the problem by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes and the reconnecting it. Then truck is good to go. Have had the battery go dead on me a couple of times after the truck has sat for several days and I am convinced the truck is going into this odd mode of behavior when we are gone. It is not the battery. Last time, took the truck to the dealer and they had it for 10 days and never found anything. No fail code, so they don't know where to start. They said there was normal draw from the battery. Personal opinion is the body control module is getting hosed up. Dealer said to have it towed next time it happens.
February 14, 2016. Truck electrical problem again this morning. FOB door lock not working. Had to unlock the truck with the key. MEM seat not working. Went to start truck and instrument cluster lights flashing. TPM fault, ABS, traction..... Disconnected the negative battery terminal and reset the computers. Truck started and back to normal. We took a short drive to get to a walk path and walked for and hour. Got back to the truck and electrical issue again. FOB did not work. Had to unlock the truck with a key. Instrument cluster flashing again. Disconnected the negative battery cable to reset the computers and truck is back to normal. Interesting we just had the truck to the dealer for a Works lube. Battery got a clean bill of health. This problem has gotten to the point. We are traveling so PITA to get it to a dealer. Made the 30 mile trip to get the truck serviced. Just had a water leak in the 3rd brake light and fixed that myself, since Ford is basically ignoring the problem. Not very happy with Ford and this truck is not going to be in our garage much longer.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 PM
sjcumpsty
New User
I'm having similar issues with my 2010 F150 FX4. Two days ago I started getting all the cluster messages (tire pressure monitor fault, 4x2, traction, door ajar, brake light). My turn indicators also pause. The next day the tach and speedo are out of wack, and resting in the middle of the dial sometimes. Today i started having issues with the radio and not being able to see the channel or change the clock. I removed the instrument cluster, and the radio seemed to work. I'm going to check the cluster circuit board to see if I can see any bad solder points. I've also read it can be related to the battery condition, so I'm going to get it tested. My truck only has 125,000 km on it, so I'm pretty disgusted that this is happening.
I've got several other things wrong with the truck that real make me consider getting rid of it. To list a few: my carrier bearing went last summer, so needed a new front drive shaft. The blend door actuator has gone on the drivers side, and passenger is making noise, needs dash removed to replace $27 part. The front 4x4 actuators make a grinding noise.