Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak/rattle behind the dash - help requested.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 AM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeak/rattle behind the dash - help requested.

A little back ground... Drove from NM to MN. Truck ran well averaged 13.5 mpg. hand calc'd (only .1 off of trip computer, I found it was typically a rounding difference). Shimmy and vibration from 70 to 80 mph, I am getting wheels rebalanced today. Rear AC blows very cold, front AC needs some help, coldish air blowing.

I have a squeak behind the bash on the passenger side. After about 300 miles of feeling in, under, over etc we couldn't find the squeak. After a bit we turned off the max AC and the squeak went away. Now it is a squeak with road movement but it only does it when the Max AC fan is running. When we got to Minnesota, we lifted the hood and I can move the whole AC unit and recreate the squeak/rattle. Is this movement usual? Would this be the cause of my front AC not blowing cold?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:49 AM
BEARDOWN
Senior User
When I first bought me EX I had a squeak that I thought was in the dash. Mine ended up being the middle screw on top of dash was loose. I think there are 3 of them one on each end and one in the middle they have a cap over them that pops out. You might want to try that.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:04 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NMSU_RRAggie
A little back ground... Drove from NM to MN. Truck ran well averaged 13.5 mpg. hand calc'd (only .1 off of trip computer, I found it was typically a rounding difference). Shimmy and vibration from 70 to 80 mph, I am getting wheels rebalanced today. Rear AC blows very cold, front AC needs some help, coldish air blowing.

I have a squeak behind the bash on the passenger side. After about 300 miles of feeling in, under, over etc we couldn't find the squeak. After a bit we turned off the max AC and the squeak went away. Now it is a squeak with road movement but it only does it when the Max AC fan is running. When we got to Minnesota, we lifted the hood and I can move the whole AC unit and recreate the squeak/rattle. Is this movement usual? Would this be the cause of my front AC not blowing cold?
You might try dropping the glove box, you can pull in the sides with your hands and the door will drop (swing it out towards the seat). Start the engine and turn max ac on/off. YO\ou'll see the AC unit rotate, maybe that is the source of your squeak.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 AM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Well I can say for certain it's the AC unit, I can recreate the sound in the cab by shaking the unit from under the hood. The unit has a lot of play, is that normal?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NMSU_RRAggie
Well I can say for certain it's the AC unit, I can recreate the sound in the cab by shaking the unit from under the hood. The unit has a lot of play, is that normal?

No, it isn't normal.