1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F-100 Wheelbase Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 PM
SaskF100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 F-100 Wheelbase Mystery

Having a difficult time figuring this out.
55 F-100 Books all say 110" wheelbase. Near as I can figure mine measures 109". Working on the bare frame right now with the gear pulled off (yes.. should have marked it better!). Logic tells me the front axle lines up with the axle bumper + the TCI MII measurement also gets me to the same location. Rear, I used mid way between the two bolt axle bumper. I also bolted the original leaf springs back in place. Center of the leafs ends up in front of the 109" mark but moves to the rear as the spring compresses. Looks like it would end up at about the 109" point under load.
The truck is Canadian manufactured but it's difficult to believe that makes a difference.
Anyone brave enough to hazard a guess?

Old 06-25-2015, 11:08 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 397 Likes on 185 Posts
Don't know if this will help you or not. Sorry, after reading your question again this wont help you.

Last edited by avf100; 06-25-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: after reading the post again. this wont answer your question
Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 PM
SaskF100
New User
It might help but opens another question. It gives the dimension from the rear of the frame to the center line of the rear axle which should verify where my measurement is to BUT.... this dimension is for a bare cab model. Anyone know if I can assume the short box version is the same?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
All F100's are short box those years. Yours is the same as posted.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 PM
SaskF100
New User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
All F100's are short box those years. Yours is the same as posted.
Yes, I kind of know all this. If you go back to my original question, I'm wondering if I can get some reliable measurements from known frame locations. My truck measures 109" axle to axle which I know is wrong but I am trying to confirm locations before laying down a bunch of MIG weld bead. The chassis with cab gives a 35.80" that looks like it is from the end of the frame forward to the rear axle. Can I rely on that? Anybody with the same truck willing to take a measure?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Sask

I can't help with the details, but as I read the posts, it isn't clear to me what measurements are needed. Can you re-ask your question? It might help with the responses.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 AM
highdesert55
Senior User
I read somewhere that you can't trust the bump stop holes as center of axle because they shifted them a little to compensate for the arc of the suspension under load.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SaskF100
Having a difficult time figuring this out.
55 F-100 Books all say 110" wheelbase. Near as I can figure mine measures 109". Working on the bare frame right now with the gear pulled off (yes.. should have marked it better!). Logic tells me the front axle lines up with the axle bumper + the TCI MII measurement also gets me to the same location. Rear, I used mid way between the two bolt axle bumper. I also bolted the original leaf springs back in place. Center of the leafs ends up in front of the 109" mark but moves to the rear as the spring compresses. Looks like it would end up at about the 109" point under load.
The truck is Canadian manufactured but it's difficult to believe that makes a difference.
Anyone brave enough to hazard a guess?
This is your only question in your OP, not very descriptive of what you are looking for. I will cut you some slack as you are new here, welcome.

Your second post a little more descriptive as to what you may want so I measured my truck and the rear of frame to axle centerline is 36.25" at ride height.

Like Fortyniner said, be specific as to what you need or want and you will get a lot of help. Come off any other way and you will be on your own. There are people who know a next to nothing on here and there are guys that know everything. We never know who we are dealing with until you start to establish yourself, this helps us know how to help without assuming, which usually does not work out well for all.

If you need specific measurements from a truck one of us can help, I am sure.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 PM
SaskF100
New User
Yes, I am new here. Yes, I am a first time builder. Thanks for the slack. I appreciate all the information and all the effort. As clear as I can state:
- I want to be sure of axle locations before I weld.
- Front seems good. I used the TCI MII measurement of 20.5" back from the original front spring mount and it lines exactly with the front bump stop hole. Good to go with the front.
- Rear doesn't work as well.
- Using the center point between the rear bump stop mount holes gives me a wheel base of 109". Not what Henry Ford designed!
- Today I measured from the rear of the frame forward to the same center point between the bump stop mount holes and get 36.125" (almost the same as diagram from avf100 (35.8") and verified by truckeemthfords (36.25" - thanks by the way for crawling under your truck)).
A possible issue with this is the truck had a 'highly modified' rear work bumper after I rescued it from the field after 30 years of work and 25 years of sitting. Maybe what I think is the end of the frame is not actually the original end. Anyone know the true length of an original frame rail?
- So the rear axle seems like it is actually is 109" from the front not 110" as it is supposed to be. See my dilemma?
I am wondering if I should just set the rear axle 110" behind the front and forget about the other measurements? Seems impossible the wheelbase is 109" but I'd rather be sure about where it goes - so I'm learning how to use this forum!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:07 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
One thing to consider on the front axle is Henry had them to the rear of the front fender opening. Most,like me and others, move the front axle centerline forward to center it in the wheel opening. As far as the rear my suggestion would be to center the axle in the rear wheel opening, if you're using a bed. If you're using a flat bed go with what looks good. I know putting a bed on may be a pain but it will guarantee the tire is centered on the wheel opening. Wheelbase is not all that critical, mine stretched due to the front axle centerline being moved forward.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:35 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 397 Likes on 185 Posts
Yes you should move the frt axle center line 1 1/4" forward from the stock location, to center it in the wheel well.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:03 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Saskf100, it might help if you could post some pictures of what you have and especially the areas of your concern. I'm surely not the guy who will have the answers you need, but sometimes pictures can help our resident experts spot something that you may have overlooked.

Oh, and welcome to FTE it really is the best place for help and advice.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:48 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I'm no help but welcome to the club

Old 06-27-2015, 11:11 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
First: The diagram shown above does not reflect chassis cab dimensions. It represents a completed fully loaded vehicle. This has always been the automotive standard for dimensions. The actual box picture is deleted for clarity of rear measurements.

Second: The rear axle does not move directly up and down because the shackles at the back of the rear springs modify the travel.

If you were to load your vehicle weight up to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating shown in the figures below the diagram, you would probably find a number closer to the 110 target.

Last edited by ranger pat; 06-27-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: correct typo due to too much coffee the morning
Old 06-27-2015, 11:30 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Also as stated earlier the bump stops are not always an exact reference for axle centerline. I know I have my rear axles offset 1" or so from the bump stops so that when the rear leafs compress, which makes them longer and changes the position of the axle, the axle will be centered with the stop under compression.
Your best bet is to mount the bed and get your center line if you have no reference.

Quick Reply: 55 F-100 Wheelbase Mystery