1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Head Gasket blown and I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Pebcak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Head Gasket blown and I have a question.

I have a situation that I would like to explain and see if anyone has any suggestions or honest opinions.

My 2001 Ford Truck Expedition XLT 2WD 4.6L EFI 8cyl finally broke more than I'm capable to fix. I took it to the shop that they explained to me that I blew a head gasket. I knew it wasn't something good just by the reaction of the vehicle and dropping all my radiator fluid all over when I was almost home from work.

Now to my quandary, the garage has said that the work to be done is on an average of 16ish hours to replace. Also, they will have to all but remove the engine to get the head gasket replaced due to the configuration of the Year and Model of my truck. The suggestion they've given to me is that they would quote what it "could" cost to replace the head gasket OR to just purchase the same model engine that's been rebuilt and put that into the truck instead. They said that the price might be a $300-$500 in difference.

The Mrs and I have talked it over and we would like to see about doing one or the other. We can afford it in a few weeks to do either. I honestly don't know enough to make a educated decision of which might be better to do.

Pros:

1. The only ting really wrong with the truck is that it needs a new heater core, rotors and pads.
2. It does have 270Kish miles on it now.
3. Has ALWAYS been run with 100% synthetic oil since being built. ( I know because I'm the second owner)
4. I've kept up with all maintenance and basics myself and overall there isn't much wrong with the vehicle as a whole except the faded and beat up front seats.

Cons:

1. It does have 270Kish miles on it now.
2. Will a rebuilt engine be a better deal with Break/Fix?
3. If it's cheap enough to put the rebuilt in why not?
4. Can't really think of a 4.

It's being retired as the main vehicle now. It's going to be a backup for the family. Myself, wife, two 19 yr old boys and 17 yr old daughter w/ permit. One son is on his last leg with his Pontiac. The other just needs work done on his 98 Honda Accord at a garage and could borrow the truck. My lovely daughter is 17 with a permit and when/if she gets her license she can drive it the 2.5 miles to school and the 4ish mile to the stable.

I'm more than open to any suggestions or ideas y'all may have. I'm in the DFW area and someone here might "know someone" that has a garage that could give me a better option. I don't know.

Lastly, It will still drive great as long as I put fluid in the radiator we I leave and arrive somewhere. I'm not doing that but I know I could if I needed to get it somewhere to have the work done.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2015, 11:45 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my best friends replaced a head on his 2000/01? 5.4 F150 a couple of years ago and easily worked on the engine with it still in the truck. He is in the average driveway mechanic range and hadn't ever done anything quite that extensive but got it done in a short week while also working full time, the only help he asked for was with the timing chains and timing the cams but with FTE it was only a 10min search to the answer! He moved to a different state and put tons of miles on the truck since then but last time I talk to him it was still running strong at well over 200k.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:10 AM
83sd
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pebcak
I have a situation that I would like to explain and see if anyone has any suggestions or honest opinions.

My 2001 Ford Truck Expedition XLT 2WD 4.6L EFI 8cyl finally broke more than I'm capable to fix. I took it to the shop that they explained to me that I blew a head gasket. I knew it wasn't something good just by the reaction of the vehicle and dropping all my radiator fluid all over when I was almost home from work.

Now to my quandary, the garage has said that the work to be done is on an average of 16ish hours to replace. Also, they will have to all but remove the engine to get the head gasket replaced due to the configuration of the Year and Model of my truck. The suggestion they've given to me is that they would quote what it "could" cost to replace the head gasket OR to just purchase the same model engine that's been rebuilt and put that into the truck instead. They said that the price might be a $300-$500 in difference.

The Mrs and I have talked it over and we would like to see about doing one or the other. We can afford it in a few weeks to do either. I honestly don't know enough to make a educated decision of which might be better to do.

Pros:

1. The only ting really wrong with the truck is that it needs a new heater core, rotors and pads.
2. It does have 270Kish miles on it now.
3. Has ALWAYS been run with 100% synthetic oil since being built. ( I know because I'm the second owner)
4. I've kept up with all maintenance and basics myself and overall there isn't much wrong with the vehicle as a whole except the faded and beat up front seats.

Cons:

1. It does have 270Kish miles on it now.
2. Will a rebuilt engine be a better deal with Break/Fix?
3. If it's cheap enough to put the rebuilt in why not?
4. Can't really think of a 4.

It's being retired as the main vehicle now. It's going to be a backup for the family. Myself, wife, two 19 yr old boys and 17 yr old daughter w/ permit. One son is on his last leg with his Pontiac. The other just needs work done on his 98 Honda Accord at a garage and could borrow the truck. My lovely daughter is 17 with a permit and when/if she gets her license she can drive it the 2.5 miles to school and the 4ish mile to the stable.

I'm more than open to any suggestions or ideas y'all may have. I'm in the DFW area and someone here might "know someone" that has a garage that could give me a better option. I don't know.

Lastly, It will still drive great as long as I put fluid in the radiator we I leave and arrive somewhere. I'm not doing that but I know I could if I needed to get it somewhere to have the work done.

Thanks
Something to think about, if you are getting any water at all into the crank case, you will start wiping bearings pretty quickly. Check to see if the oil is chocolate milk.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:24 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
You can fix it yourself for about $110
http://www.steelseal.com
My only clarification to their instructions is to drain 32 oz. out of the radiator, remove the upper radiator hose, and add the steelseal directly into the radiator and not the fill bottle. Other than that, follow their instructions to the letter and you'll be driving the vehicle for some time to come.

There is also a $20 product by Bar's Leak that does the same thing, but I cannot attest to how well it works or how permanent the repair is. Feel free to research it.
http://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-fix/

Old 06-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Pebcak
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro
You can fix it yourself for about $110
http://www.steelseal.com
My only clarification to their instructions is to drain 32 oz. out of the radiator, remove the upper radiator hose, and add the steelseal directly into the radiator and not the fill bottle. Other than that, follow their instructions to the letter and you'll be driving the vehicle for some time to come.

There is also a $20 product by Bar's Leak that does the same thing, but I cannot attest to how well it works or how permanent the repair is. Feel free to research it.
Bar's Leaks US site Head Gasket Fix - Bar's Leaks US site
The Steelseal looks too good to be true. Does anyone know someone that has used it successfully? I'm willing to save $2K to try this. I'm wondering if it's like the Seal-A-Flat though. Could it make the issue worse if it doesn't work?

Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM
alloro
They offer a Lifetime Guarantee, so you have virtually no risk in trying it.

We guarantee that Steel Seal will permanently repair a blown head gasket, cracked head or block. If the Steel Seal fails to repair or fails at any point during the time you own your vehicle you have two choices:

1. You can receive a one-time free replacement to re-dose your car

OR

2. You can receive a full refund (less shipping and handling). Simply send us a copy of an estimate from a licensed repair facility which states the vehicle has been diagnosed with a blown head gasket via compression or gas test or confirmation that the vehicle has been scrapped or an invoice showing that a mechanical head gasket repair has subsequently been carried out.

Mail to: Steel Seal 2417 Welsh Rd Ste 21 #320, Philadelphia, PA 19114

Old 06-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Pebcak
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro
They offer a Lifetime Guarantee, so you have virtually no risk in trying it.

We guarantee that Steel Seal will permanently repair a blown head gasket, cracked head or block. If the Steel Seal fails to repair or fails at any point during the time you own your vehicle you have two choices:

1. You can receive a one-time free replacement to re-dose your car

OR

2. You can receive a full refund (less shipping and handling). Simply send us a copy of an estimate from a licensed repair facility which states the vehicle has been diagnosed with a blown head gasket via compression or gas test or confirmation that the vehicle has been scrapped or an invoice showing that a mechanical head gasket repair has subsequently been carried out.

Mail to: Steel Seal 2417 Welsh Rd Ste 21 #320, Philadelphia, PA 19114
I think the Mrs and I might be going with this option. Mainly because I got the formal quote of $2,800 just to fix the issue and check it out. $4,800 to put in a used engine (with warranty) and $7,200 for a rebuilt engine (with warranty) to be put in.

The $100ish to get the Steel Seal is worth a shot. Worst that can happen is it won't work and I get my money back. I'm going to offer it up for sale/trade (for 1986 F150 parts) on here first, scrap it or sell it to a Pick n Pull anyways. The truck is still good. Just not worth the money to fix for the Mrs and I. I want to get the 1986 F150 up to shape.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...l#post15373395

I'll wait and see if anyone else replies with any other suggestions before ordering it tonight.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pebcak
I'm going to scrap it or sell it to a Pick n Pull anyways.
If you're planning to scrap it, why bother fixing it?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Pebcak
Senior User
Originally Posted by Skauber
If you're planning to scrap it, why bother fixing it?
My one son with a rusted out, Upstate NY original Pontiac is about to fall apart. He can't get it registered here in TX without a lot of work because it's so rusted out. We want to try to help him get a good vehicle to use until he gets on his feet with the new job and get something for himself.

The initial plan was to have the Expy for a backup vehicle if anyone needed it for the next year. Plus, my daughter would drive that when she first gets her license, then she is going to get the 1986 F150 I'm working on now. Then trade it in next spring/summer towards another vehicle.

I've always wanted a Nissan Titan. The new Titan XD comes out later this year. I'm going to save up and have it be my "College graduation, bonus, first new and the Mrs. said I deserve it" vehicle.

The All-New 2016 Nissan Titan | Nissan USA

Old 06-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Rockauto has a rebuilt long block for 2900 bucks, of which 535 bucks is refunded if you send in the core. Not sure how much you have to pay to have someone replace the engine, but it can't be more than a grand can it?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Pebcak
Senior User
Originally Posted by Skauber
Rockauto has a rebuilt long block for 2900 bucks, of which 535 bucks is refunded if you send in the core. Not sure how much you have to pay to have someone replace the engine, but it can't be more than a grand can it?
Below is what I was quoted:

I wish I was better mechanically and had the time to do it myself. But I don't.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Ok, so if you get the long block from Rockauto, and send in the core for a refund, you could walk away with around 3 grand for a rebuilt engine.

Edit: nevermind, I misread the quote, 2500 bucks for labour? Jeez! I bet you can find someone cheaper than that.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
There is nothing I'm aware of that you can dump in the radiator will fix a blown head gasket. And generally with a blown head gasket there is some drivability issues, it is possible the diagnosis is incorrect and only a leaking intake or something in that line of possibilities?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by twigsV10
There is nothing I'm aware of that you can dump in the radiator will fix a blown head gasket.
I listed 2 above in post #4.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Pebcak
Senior User
*Update*

Just purchased the Steel Seal. I'll post an update once I know for sure. All I'm asking for is another year at the most to have it last as a backup vehicle. I don't even want it as an everyday driver.