Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1 vs 2 piece drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Question 1 vs 2 piece drive shaft

I performed a search and could not find the answer to my question. If you have seen this before and know of a thread, I would be glad to look over it if you would post the link here.

Since looking into and resolving my wheel hop/axle wrap issue recently, I discovered that most trucks like ours have 2 piece drive shafts. I have a 1 piece drive shaft and would like to know if it came from the factory like that or if it was an aftermarket add-on. I cannot see a mount for a carrier bearing on the under body, so I suspect it was installed from the factory.

What is the point of some trucks have a 1 piece and others have a 2 piece drive shaft?

I assume the 1 piece is better from the research I have done, but that is probably too opinionated to resolve?

For reference, I have the truck in my signature.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:54 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Tim, I read through that post before starting this one and saw where the creator was wanting to convert to a 1 piece drive shaft. The noted thread did not seem to answer my question about if some trucks came from the factory with a 1 piece drive shaft, and if so why?

Old 06-24-2015, 05:32 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
A quick look at mine and it looks like a one piece drive shaft...sort of. It looks like there's a slip joint and about a 6" section at the rear. No carrier bearing. I am 3rd owner on a truck that has had a lot done to it so I can't tell you what it came with.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Standard cab with a short box? I think that's a breed of unicorn. It's very possible the single shaft was the call for that wheelbase. Single shaft is simpler and more reliable, but not as strong as a two-shaft. That's the difference.

Twerkin' truck? Ladder bars. I had a member drive Stinky this weekend and he could feel them back there - he said it made the truck feel solid (and I agree). My wife and I both noticed (and enjoyed) the difference instantly when they were first installed - without even conducting WOT tests or anything radical like that.

Based on my experience, I think ladder bars belong back there - and Stinky is stock height.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I am in the same boat Walleye Hunter, just thought it was interesting when researching my wheel hop issue that I did not have the same drive shaft as what I was seeing online.

Rich, I have a 2000 short bed extended cab, I guess I should spell that out in my signature instead of assuming SC means super cab.

In order to cure my issues I installed new rear leaf springs and Roadmaster Active Suspension and it is rock solid from a stop. Even headed up hill with a high torque situation.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
In that case, the PO installed a single shaft. I looked at this when I was having driveline problems, but the trade-offs were too great with an estimated 800 ft/lbs of torque.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
So it is safe to say that my truck came off the factory line with a 2 piece drive shaft but somewhere during its nearly 16 year life that was replaced for a 1 piece drive shaft? I did not see a mounting location for a carrier bearing, but then again I was not looking that hard because it was obvious that the shaft was not a 2 piece.

I am very happy with the leaf springs and RAS that I installed. I was going to go with traction bars, but decided that the RAS offered sag support as well when the TT was hitched on. We are preparing to take the truck and TT on a 6000 mile trip soon and have 100% confidence in the suspension when prior to the springs and RAS it was OK, but not optimal.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
So it is safe to say that my truck came off the factory line with a 2 piece drive shaft but somewhere during its nearly 16 year life that was replaced for a 1 piece drive shaft? I did not see a mounting location for a carrier bearing, but then again I was not looking that hard because it was obvious that the shaft was not a 2 piece.

I am very happy with the leaf springs and RAS that I installed. I was going to go with traction bars, but decided that the RAS offered sag support as well when the TT was hitched on. We are preparing to take the truck and TT on a 6000 mile trip soon and have 100% confidence in the suspension when prior to the springs and RAS it was OK, but not optimal.
The mount for a carrier bearing is a bent up piece of sheet metal that typically has to be removed when installing a 1 piece. If you don't, it will interfere. Ask me how I know...

Old 06-24-2015, 06:35 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Standard cab with a short box? I think that's a breed of unicorn. It's very possible the single shaft was the call for that wheelbase. Single shaft is simpler and more reliable, but not as strong as a two-shaft. That's the difference.
Ehhhh...I don't know about that....In my misspent youth, I had a '64 Chebby SS Impala 4 door that I literally found in a Barn out in Twisp, Wa. It had no Motor or Trans.in it that I bought for 400$. It was in perfect condition. Then I found a wrecked Corvette 427 L88 engine and tranny for $1000. An unbeatable combo Right??? Well, I got it all to fit and run and it was a Tire smoker from the Start.I came up with the bright idea to take it to the Drags and race it. It was impressive...... Until I learned you don't pull HoleShots with a split driveline. 5 new assemblies later. I gave up and stuck with driving my Chick Magnet around town. Live and learn. That's why they require Shaft cages....They get tired of sweeping up parts

Old 06-25-2015, 06:14 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
What would be the advantages to a two piece drive shaft? The only ones I could think of would be the ability to make two easy angles for the U-joints rather than one steep angle. And that it might keep the front half up higher for a bit before angling down with the back half.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I can't speak to the intermediate hardware - as I'm betting the cars didn't have the same U-joints as a Superduty. The shaft itself weakens with length, and requires a lot of up-sizing on the gauge of tubing. While at the driveline place, I saw a few blown-out long drivelines - the carnage was complete. I didn't want a piece of that.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:10 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
FWIW....L99 2wd SC(extra cab) std bed here...2-piece driveshaft. i wonder if having same truck BUT 4x4, is the reasonfor 1-piece,since the transfer takes up a good section?

Old 06-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Tim, that may be the reason, it certainly seems like a good one. I think I will settle on the idea that a 2wd came with a 2 piece and a 4wd came with a 1 piece for a 2000 Super Duty.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:15 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Split drive shaft on both of my vehicles... 2002 2WD F250 Crew and 2003 2WD Excursion.

Quick Reply: 1 vs 2 piece drive shaft