Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much firmer is x/ats-c than v/b springs?

Old 06-20-2015, 07:21 PM
BeefmasterYoda
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much firmer is x/ats-c than v/b springs?

I just recently got a quote from ATS springs for some x/ modified c springs. I currently have a 2000 Excursion 7.3l 4x4 with a brush guard. Ats recommended this combination especially after mentioning I have a brush guard. I tow about 8,000 lbs about 4 times a year, but would like to know I can tow 9000 lbs safely.

95% of the time we are using the ex as an suv. The rep and the forum had the same consensus that the x springs are firmer, but how much firmer?
Is it worth the sacrifice in ride quality even though we only tow 5 times a year?
For those who have replaced springs, how has the ex been as a dd and tow pig?

I'm right outside Austin,TX so the roads are alright.

Thanks,
Joseph

Old 06-20-2015, 08:13 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to look thru the tech folder in suspension mods as well as this thread "Modded Suspensions Call - Request your measurents" it's on page 6 today. There is more to what your asking than just firmness. BUT to answer your question directly, 2 NUsq nano bums + or -

Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
If you want I can road trip out your way before you buy springs. I'm not far away, out in Houston. I have V's, B-mods, brush guard, etc... You can see how it rides and make a decision from there.

I've always been a truck guy personally, I prefer a firm suspension. The current one is just a hair too soft for my liking.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:52 PM
obiwan kenobi
Mountain Pass
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
I just finished X and mod C in my wife's excursion, I was worried she would not like it but, she said it rides great.

We gained a little lift, can carry all 6 of us + gear and if we choose, pull the 20' enclosed trailer.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:57 PM
BeefmasterYoda
Freshman User
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
You need to look thru the tech folder in suspension mods as well as this thread "Modded Suspensions Call - Request your measurents" it's on page 6 today. There is more to what your asking than just firmness. BUT to answer your question directly, 2 NUsq nano bums + or -
I've checked that thread out and learned a lot from it. That is the reason I even know about ATS. i'll go back through and see if I missed something.

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
If you want I can road trip out your way before you buy springs. I'm not far away, out in Houston. I have V's, B-mods, brush guard, etc... You can see how it rides and make a decision from there.

I've always been a truck guy personally, I prefer a firm suspension. The current one is just a hair too soft for my liking.
We also have a 03 7.3l 4x4 f350 with brush guard and the ride is definitely firmer. It just dawned on me that I can check the springs on that and get an idea of what the truck springs feel like even though it is lighter than the ex. We preordered ( hope this is the right terminology) our ex back in 2000 and have had stock suspension for past 15 years, so anything will be an improvement. I just don't want it to be a radical departure from highway comfort, because that is where I do most of my driving.

-Joseph

Old 06-20-2015, 11:02 PM
BeefmasterYoda
Freshman User
Originally Posted by obiwan kenobi
I just finished X and mod C in my wife's excursion, I was worried she would not like it but, she said it rides great.

We gained a little lift, can carry all 6 of us + gear and if we choose, pull the 20' enclosed trailer.
Thanks for your first-hand experience, especially what your wife thinks about the ride quality. When people mentioned "firm riding" in other threads, I wasn't sure if they mean't firm to the point where it is rough riding or just very tight in turns and whatnot. I'll check with my mechanic and see if he has had experience with different code springs and what he recommends. I was initially going to put a lift kit on the stock suspension, but decided that wasn't the wisest, so I am looking at this option, perhaps with a shackle kit.

-Joseph

Old 06-20-2015, 11:56 PM
obiwan kenobi
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BeefmasterYoda
Thanks for your first-hand experience, especially what your wife thinks about the ride quality. When people mentioned "firm riding" in other threads, I wasn't sure if they mean't firm to the point where it is rough riding or just very tight in turns and whatnot. I'll check with my mechanic and see if he has had experience with different code springs and what he recommends. I was initially going to put a lift kit on the stock suspension, but decided that wasn't the wisest, so I am looking at this option, perhaps with a shackle kit.

-Joseph
I too was planning to do a 4" sky jacker lift until I read how stiff it rides and the loss of load capacity

Old 06-21-2015, 02:21 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You need to look thru the tech folder in suspension mods as well as this thread "Modded Suspensions Call - Request your measurents" it's on page 6 today.
The "Measurements" thread is also in the tech folder. No need to keep track of which page it's on, especially since page lengths will differ according to each users preference setup in their User CP.

I just finished X and mod C in my wife's excursion
Where did you get your X code and C code springs?

Stewart

Old 06-21-2015, 04:36 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Given your towing duties & the fact you've had the X for 15years AS IS, I think you would best be served with the V/B mod. The V should net you right at 2" of lift up front (3 1/4" if you slip the over load from the B's under it) & it will ride great. I did the rear overload add & love it.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 AM
obiwan kenobi
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
The "Measurements" thread is also in the tech folder. No need to keep track of which page it's on, especially since page lengths will differ according to each users preference setup in their User CP.

Stewart
From Jr. at ATS

Old 06-21-2015, 09:02 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart

Dang Stewart : Didn't you notice, he's a JUNIOR USER

Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 AM
BeefmasterYoda
Freshman User
I too was planning to do a 4" sky jacker lift until I read how stiff it rides and the loss of load capacity
As much as I wanted to just put on a lift kit and big tires, just like you, I didn't want to lose load capacity and I figured with a spring swap and shackle or hanger kit I could still get the 4 in lift I was wanting in the first place and still give it a bad*** look.

Given your towing duties & the fact you've had the X for 15years AS IS, I think you would best be served with the V/B mod. The V should net you right at 2" of lift up front (3 1/4" if you slip the over load from the B's under it) & it will ride great. I did the rear overload add & love it.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give the search engine a workout on the v/b mod. Why is it that a good number of people who get v/b springs wish they had gotten x/c springs?... I don't want to be one of those people.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:48 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...l#post11391676 & here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...rformance.html

I don't think they have any regrets I would drop in the B's over load under the V . OH YEA , I just did.. Anyone saying they wish X over V most certainly has not had a stock suspension under their X for 15 + years.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:53 AM
BeefmasterYoda
Freshman User
Here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...l#post11391676 & here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...rformance.html

I don't think they have any regrets I would drop in the B's over load under the V . OH YEA , I just did.. Anyone saying they wish X over V most certainly has not had a stock suspension under their X for 15 + years.
That hurts me deep down. Nah, but in all seriousness, I will now heavily consider the v/b mod you recommended.

Much appreciated,
Joseph

Old 06-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
From Jr. at ATS
A small request then, please, so as not to confuse anyone reading your posts: Please make sure you include where your springs came from when you post you have X codes and C codes. The reason being, those alpha character designations are a Ford in-house designation and the aftermarket companies, even though they may use the same code designation for their leaf springs, are not spec'd to the same capacity as the Ford leaf springs.

So while you may have an X-code spring and a C code spring, it's not a Ford X & C-code spring and the springs you have do not have the same capacity or lift-over-stock when compared to a Ford X-codes and C-codes.

For more info, please see this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12515006

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 06-21-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much firmer is x/ats-c than v/b springs?