Share your tips on buying a TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Tone28
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone had experience purchasing from camping world? They seem to typically have decent sales prices versus msrp, though I'm sure they still leave room to haggle.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:43 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I haven't purchased a trailer or camper from them, but they have done some service work on my trailer. I felt they treated me fairly and did good work.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:07 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Tone28
Has anyone had experience purchasing from camping world? They seem to typically have decent sales prices versus msrp, though I'm sure they still leave room to haggle.

They are no better or worse than anywhere else. As long as you get your 35% off MSRP, you're doing OK.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
This is really great info and I don't want it to get lost by falling off the first page so I think I'm gonna make it a sticky.

Stewart

Old 07-22-2015, 09:02 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
This is really great info and I don't want it to get lost by falling off the first page so I think I'm gonna make it a sticky.

Stewart
I think that would be a good idea

Old 07-22-2015, 02:02 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with Hugh, Stewart. Thank you for making this a sticky.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Here is some food for thought. I was researchung one unit we are considering. I went to the CW site, they listed the MSRP as xxxxx.xX but their sale price was xxxxxxx.x. When to another dealers website same unit 2nd dealer listed MSRP 6 k lower than CW and of course there normal price croused out and contact them for their best price.

Here is one other thing we did not mention to much. If you buy out of your area, how are going to get? Drive and get it? Have it delivered? You have to weigh both options and figure that end. You may get a great deal at a dealer away but then add transportation and end up paying more

Old 07-23-2015, 07:48 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by hturner12
Here is some food for thought. I was researchung one unit we are considering. I went to the CW site, they listed the MSRP as xxxxx.xX but their sale price was xxxxxxx.x. When to another dealers website same unit 2nd dealer listed MSRP 6 k lower than CW and of course there normal price croused out and contact them for their best price.

Here is one other thing we did not mention to much. If you buy out of your area, how are going to get? Drive and get it? Have it delivered? You have to weigh both options and figure that end. You may get a great deal at a dealer away but then add transportation and end up paying more
MSRP can be hugely different based on options. We added about 20k worth of options over a base model of ours...

We drove 800 miles each way to get ours and after the cost of hotel and diesel still saved 9k. Delivery would have been 1700 and we still would have saved 8k.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:09 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
MSRP can be hugely different based on options. We added about 20k worth of options over a base model of ours...

We drove 800 miles each way to get ours and after the cost of hotel and diesel still saved 9k. Delivery would have been 1700 and we still would have saved 8k.
This particular trailer is a new Floorplan and it leaves the factory with almost every option . It is a Keystone Outback 326RL. Has two 8 cf refers side by side

Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
The 326 RL has many standards and forced options but actually has a few options that can change the price.

Diamond pkg.
Freestanding table.
50 amp service.
15k AC.
Second AC.

That said, this doesn't mean the dealer is being honest about the MSRP. It's very hard to verify MSRP on some brands of trailer too.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:53 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
The 326 RL has many standards and forced options but actually has a few options that can change the price.

Diamond pkg.
Freestanding table.
50 amp service.
15k AC.
Second AC.

That said, this doesn't mean the dealer is being honest about the MSRP. It's very hard to verify MSRP on some brands of trailer too.
I know about the options it on my list. On MSRP it a shame there is.no good source for it.

What really boils down to is there are two type of buyers. The educated informed ones and uneducated and uninformed . The sales folks love the second group.
The second group may never realize they could have got a better deal

I think all of us try to be in the first group.

Another thing we did not mention was the oa oh look and the let's really look at it.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:33 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Whoever on the front page suggested buying used if you are buying your first trailer was dead right. I'd say you should buy your second trailer used as well.
I've only been in this trailer game for about six years, and I'm on my second unit, and I can say that I'm so glad I'm breaking stuff on these cheaper trailers.

My best tip for buying used is to figure out if the WDH is included with the trailer. If at all possible, probably easiest to just have them bundled together. My most recent purchase didn't come with the WDH, and I didn't realize that until the day I picked it up. Caused lots of hassle for me.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
last month I purchases a used Coachman... 29FKCS

noticed the side running lights were faded... ordered new ones..
removing them (8) all had water inside, and was leaking into and down the inside of the walls.. NOT a lot of damage.. but still Wet... wires had minor (green) on the copper... cleaned up and soldered all joints...

but most of the screws holding the lamps to the walls were more than 50 percent rusted thru... and would soon fail...and lamps would be hanging by its wires...

9 years old....

Something to check into when looking at a used trailer.. otherwise trailer is in Good condition

Old 09-13-2015, 11:01 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
I just remembered this. Plan on looking at the one you think you want twice. The first time is the ooh ah look . The second one is the critical look. This time you are looking hard at everything. If you feel uncomfortable or lack the knowledge hire a third party mobile rv tech like Steve to inspect it. The money and or time could revel a big problem

Old 01-23-2016, 10:31 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Just bought a 29ft TT at the show in Tampa. Had 3 dealers dealing over my one purchase and got @ 40% of MSRP with a bunch of extras. Best thing is we didn't have to drive from dealer to another, just a short walk.

Quick Reply: Share your tips on buying a TT