Sponsored by:

Need suspension help please! Terrible sway while pulling TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:20 AM
R.Gates
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need suspension help please! Terrible sway while pulling TT

Finally found my perfect tow vehicle. I am scared to drive it. Story: Got back last week from a 2500 mile white knuckle trip from Denver to Prescott, AZ. I found a 2001 excursion 4x4 with a 7.3 engine. I pull a 2013 Crossroad ST26BH trailer and couldn't get over 50 mph or everything starts to sway. Almost lost it twice. I've had the following done to the truck: replaced tie rods, all four shocks, 4 wheel alignment, gear in steering box-all this to try to eliminate the sway. I have an equalizer wd hitch with 2 point sway control. Trailer tires are at 50 lbs pressure, truck tires at 60 and 65. Loaded the truck weighs 8930, trailer at 5720 and tongue wt is 840. Tried different truck tire pressures. Trailer been tried with full fresh water tank and empty. Two Ford dealers and three rv dealers couldn't find anything I haven't already tried. Latest rv dealer suggested I move the bar hanger up one notch. Took it for a test drive, still swaying. Trip planned from Denver to Seattle next month and I am not sure I want to go.
Any advise please? Thanks.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 06-20-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Changed thread title to garner more attention for OP
Old 06-19-2015, 04:07 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
So, measuring at the rear fender wells, how much drop do you have in inches when you hitch your trailer. Then, after you adjust your bars, how much drop do you have? That is, after you have your bars connected how close are you to where your Excursion is unhitched?

Can you shoot us a picture of your rig ready to roll?

Please don't drive it like this. It is scary, tiring, and dangerous for you and everyone else.

Steve

Old 06-19-2015, 06:31 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,840 Posts
The tow vehicle drives fine without the trailer behind it right? What kind of WD hitch do you have in regards to brand, model and weight rating? I know you said you have had it to RV places to look at, but who initially set up the WD hitch, was it you or a dealer?

Something is not right, you know that, but being that unsafe at speed is a bad idea for you and the people around you.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
A 6k trailer shouldn't bother an Excursion even without sway control. So the question is, why is there too much weight too far back on the trailer? Sway is simply a result of not having the mass centered in the correct location, barring mechanical malady. Of course, sometimes the wheelbase of the truck, distance form axle to hitch, and the hitch to axle distance on the trailer can be less than ideal, but that usually manifests in difficulty backing up. Maybe weigh the entire rig and find out what the real axle weights are?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:59 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
He has posted weights, so maybe give a break-down from the scale? Knowing before and after heights at the rear fenders offers some insight into impact of trailer weight on tow vehicle. I do not think the solution will be obvious.

I am impressed that the OP has obtained weights and has been diligent in trying to address his problem.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Not saying this is your problem, but I have a Reese straight line WD hitch and I experience almost zero sway and porpoising going down the highway at speed. Of course, if it were set up incorrectly, I could be on the other end of the scale.

Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 15,000 lbs GTW, 1,500 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66130

Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I have the original version of that with an old double cam. They do work well, although the OP is running a distribution set-up that is often highly regarded.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:26 AM
R.Gates
Freshman User
Thanks to all who responded. The dealer (Ketelson campers of Colorado) did the set-up. I do not have the measurments on the wheel wells just now, but will get them in the next few days as we will be leaving shortly for a trip to Seattle from Denver.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Is your rig still on the stock suspension?

I have a feeling you are and your problem is the dreaded Excursion Wander.

Stewart

Old 06-20-2015, 11:29 AM
R.Gates
Freshman User
Hi Stewart, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by stock. I'm not much into mods. What is there that can be done? Is this wondering an inherent problem? and what do you suggest?

Old 06-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
He is referring to the springs and/or other suspension modifications or upgrades you may have done. For example, I put in new 4/1 3300 lb springs and Roadmaster Active Suspension on my 2000 F-250 to get it exactly where I wanted it for towing my TT.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by R.Gates
Hi Stewart, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by stock.
Is the suspension all stock, like it came from the factory when you bought it, all original equipment, or have you modified it at all.

What is there that can be done?
Lots...and I mean tons!! You've come to the right place!!

Is this wondering an inherent problem? and what do you suggest?
Wander, not wonder, and yes, it is a problem with the 4x4 Excursions because Ford decided to put different leaf springs on the 4x4 Excursions rather than the same springs they put on the 4x4 F250/350 trucks.

What we Excursion owners have been doing for over 10 years now is to replace the POS (piece of poop) OEM leaf springs on the Ex and put the F250/350 leaf springs on in their place.

I'm going to copy your first post above and create a brand new thread for you over in the Ex forum where we help people with their suspension problems 24/7.

Head over to the "Excursion - King of SUVs" forum and you'll see your thread there that I've created for you.

Stewart

Edit: On second thought I'm just gonna move this thread over to the Excursion forum where we can help you with your problem

Old 06-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Moved to the Excursion forum.

Stewart

Old 06-20-2015, 03:41 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Do you have a rear sway bar on the Excursion?

I would go with a Roadmaster Active Suspension Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

I would also follow young Stewart's advice and upgrade the springs.

Trailer sway is "usually" caused by too much weight behind the trailer axle. In this case it sounds like a tow vehicle problem.

Last edited by mecdac; 06-20-2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: add info, spelling
Old 06-20-2015, 04:33 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R.Gates
Thanks to all who responded. The dealer (Ketelson campers of Colorado) did the set-up. I do not have the measurments on the wheel wells just now, but will get them in the next few days as we will be leaving shortly for a trip to Seattle from Denver.

WELCOME to the world of XXXs
When was this 1st posted 1st post leaving next Month, NOW " as we will be leaving shortly for a trip to Seattle from Denver. "
I take it your in Denver? PLEASE add that to your profile.
As Stewart has stated the X needs suspension work as well as a tuner on the 7.3 to be the Tow V you want it to be. You've got a lot to do before you go on a trip like that again (I.M.O.P.) Go the tech section & look for the V/ B Spring Mod & read for a day or so Then you'll know what your in for. Most Mod the V (front) & B (rear) springs, add a rear sway bar, as well as air bags to tow TTs behind their X.

Also take a look at this thread " Modded Suspensions Call - Request your measurents" it's on page 6 today.

Quick Reply: Need suspension help please! Terrible sway while pulling TT