1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vin number correction help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:33 PM
SpedKid94
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Vin number correction help

I am working with the DMV to correct the VIN on my title. I received a letter from the DMV today telling me that this VIN number was the one registered in 1950 when the truck was purchased. The VIN on file is 2605491A. Now most of you know that this isnt a VIN number. I sent some paperwork in along with some pictures of the VIN plates and they still won't correct it. Can anyone tell me what this number is? Im thinking its an old Ford part number and someone used it not knowing where the VIN was. Any thoughts? Im hoping if i can show them what that number is they will let me fix my title. Thanks

Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Looks like a Title Number, like is stamped on the title for the DMV's records.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:43 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,439 Likes on 1,390 Posts
It's not a Ford part number. Is there a tag affixed to the vehicle anywhere that would match that number? If so, it would be a state assigned number that would be legal. If not, your guess is as good as ours. It could be anything.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:15 AM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
In my experience, with older vehicles, states don't like to change anything. Unless they feel they are more correct than some other state. If the title has been in that state all along, it is not likely to be changed at all. However, should you, or someone else attempt to register in another state, it will become an issue.
While you may not be able to get them to change anything, finding and documenting the source of the disparity would be a very good idea. Try approaching someone at DMV on a face to face level and see if they will do a computer check to track the vehicle's various registrations. It likely won't go back to the original registration, but it may show a history of that number.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 AM
SpedKid94
Cross-Country
I haven't been able to locate anything that shows what this number might be. As for a face to face meeting, don't know about your state DMV but WV would rather run you out the door than help you. Worst case I think i might be able to do some paperwork like for rebuilding scrap trucks and change the vin to what is on the VIN plate. Im waiting on a call back from someone at the DMV state office. Just trying to track down a possible source of the number to show them.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:25 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
DMV, whether here or there, all seem to have the same MO. But, usually if you can corner one of the employees, they will relent to helping as that's what they are paid to do. Not to mention the fact that requesting a supervisor, if dis-satisfied is much easier in person.
Maybe I have learned to push harder than some, but I have no problem climbing government ladders. Even going as far as involving state reps in some situations. You'd be surprised how fast and friendly they can get when a state rep writes a letter asking what is going on and why their constituent is bothering them.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedKid94
I haven't been able to locate anything that shows what this number might be. As for a face to face meeting, don't know about your state DMV but WV would rather run you out the door than help you. Worst case I think i might be able to do some paperwork like for rebuilding scrap trucks and change the vin to what is on the VIN plate. Im waiting on a call back from someone at the DMV state office. Just trying to track down a possible source of the number to show them.
Ok, just what are you calling a vin plate? And does the SERIAL number on it match the number stamped in the frame?

Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 PM
SpedKid94
Cross-Country

I haven't located the frame VIN yet

Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

OK, that is the patent plate. There is no such thing as a VIN plate on these trucks, as VIN number didn't exist back then. The only REAL VALID number is the serial number stamped in the frame. It is located in the passenger side frame rail just behind the radiator. DON"T use a grinder or sand paper on the frame. Use Scotchbrite coarse pad with water or a mild soap.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, that's REALLY hard to read, but even with my old eyes, and working with the pic in Photoshop, I can see that your painted-over Patent Data Plate (that's what that is) is correctly stamped with a beginning "*" then maybe "98", which would, I believe, indicate a 49-50, then maybe "RC", then another star and the serial number, which is something like "392901" and ends with the correct "*" followed by what looks like "AR", which means nothing to me.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Joe that would be NR for Norfolk

Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Joe that would be NR for Norfolk
Yes, that could easily be an "N".

Old 06-23-2015, 08:28 AM
SpedKid94
Cross-Country
[QUOTE=harleymsn;15451655]OK, that is the patent plate. There is no such thing as a VIN plate on these trucks, as VIN number didn't exist back then. The only REAL VALID number is the serial number stamped in the frame. It is located in the passenger side frame rail just behind the radiator. DON"T use a grinder or sand paper on the frame. Use Scotchbrite coarse pad with water or a mild soap.

I found the number on the frame..Its right where yours is, just had to do some scrubbing so thanks.. The number on my frame matches the number on the vin plate

Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
[QUOTE=SpedKid94;15452223]
Originally Posted by harleymsn
OK, that is the patent plate. There is no such thing as a VIN plate on these trucks, as VIN number didn't exist back then. The only REAL VALID number is the serial number stamped in the frame. It is located in the passenger side frame rail just behind the radiator. DON"T use a grinder or sand paper on the frame. Use Scotchbrite coarse pad with water or a mild soap.

I found the number on the frame..Its right where yours is, just had to do some scrubbing so thanks.. The number on my frame matches the number on the vin plate
Great! So, how close was I with my detective work on the actual number?

Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 AM
SpedKid94
Cross-Country
oh im sorry, i can read the vin on the fire wall it is 98rc39450NP

Quick Reply: Vin number correction help