1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Coil to leaf spring conversion help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Coil to leaf spring conversion help.

I have a 1997 F350 crew cab long bed that has been a project for a while now. I bought it as a 2x4 automatic with I beam suspension. I converted the truck over to a ZF 5 speed with a married transfer case.

I still have a bit more left to do; equip the truck with a 4x4 front end. I plan to install a Dana 60 straight axle with leaf spring front suspension, however I am uncertain on performing this conversion with out a better understanding of what I am getting into.

I heard a few years ago they made a kit for it, and all I would have to do is box in the frame, and install the kit with some drilling here and there. I have not found such a kit on my own.

I do not know if a thread is open already for this, but I am away from home in another country, and it took me almost an hour of waiting on pages to load before I decided to make this thread.

As well I would like to share the conversion process I've already gone through, and the conversions to come. I will try to post some pictures of completed work already.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
For any one who might be interested in this conversion I have found the direction I am going to steer this in.

I will include links to sights I found so far.

I am going to go with the 99-04 front axles. (due to the different lug pattern I will have to get the rear with the front so that I don't have a 8 on 170mm on the front, and 8 on 6.5 lug pattern in the rear)

I am going to use the Sky-manufacturing RSK kit which is going to give my truck 4" of lift.

www.sky-manufacturing.com - 9297F250F350FordOBSSuperdutyAxleLeafConversion

A drop pitman arm from Sky

www.sky-manufacturing.com - FordFrontShackleReversalDropPitmanArm

V code springs from SD truck springs

1999-2004 Ford F250SD, F350SD 4wd - Leaf Spring V Code (Front - 2 Leaves) [43-814] | $179.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Thats all I have for now. I will have to figure the rear shackles out, say bar mounts, and brake lines, and new wheels to accommodate the new axles.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:22 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out pmf's rsk kit. It seems to be highly recommended on this site. It will be the way I go when I convert to superduty springs

Old 06-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
Thank you. I will look into them. Hopefully I can pick the axles up soon.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:49 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with PMF, much better kit than Sky!

Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
I have new tires and wheels for the truck. I have 37x12.5R16.5 military tires with the split rims. I will have to buy an adapter to accommodate the wheels to the axles though.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
You might wanna rethink split rims. There very dangerous. Id bring them to a shop to get the tires off the rims and then switch to a set of steelies for cheap.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
I'm not a fan of split rims myself. I bought them as a set though.

The reason the military uses them is to accommodate the run flat. I intend on getting a nice set of wheels for it eventually, but I'm already spending about 4k on this conversion. I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible.

They split different anyway. a little safer to use this style.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:26 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Why do a spacer/adapter? You will be better off with a recentered wheel than the spacers due to the amount of spacer you will need to deal with the ridiculous offset in the H1 wheels. A new set of centers is not particularly expensive.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
I dont even know what the cost is yet on the spacers to be honest. If they are pretty steep in price I'll just assume buy new wheels.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Out of interest does anyone know what size back spacing I should run with these 37x12.5 tires?

I was looking on a couple sites for wheels. If I dont find a nice set for cheap I will see if I can find a set from the junk yard.

I found a set, but they are only rated for 2,000 lbs a piece. My truck ways at or maybe even over 4 tons. It weighed in at 7,600 lbs on the scale before the I beam to solid axle conversion, bigger tires, stout winch bumper, winch in front, and PTO drive winch in the back, PTO, etc. I dont know if the factory wheels are any better, but I literally wouldnt be able to haul anything in the truck on those wheels I found.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
https://www.roguefab.com/product.php?id=114

I found a set to recenter the wheels. not to bad on price. 67 bucks.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:00 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why abandon the coils? You can get a 05+ axle set and keep them.

Richard

Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Vertrees
Senior User
I dont particularly care for coils, or independent front suspension. Just a personal preference is all. I feel like Its stronger, and more reliable to go the rout I'm going. I will say that this truck is the smoothest ride I've had yet, but I can do with out that, and I can bag the springs to get that smooth ride back if I want.

I'm always open to suggestions though. I'm building this truck up so that I can use it for my line of work, and my daily driver. As she sits now I sometimes even cant pull off into the gravel.

The truck will be used for over the road, and recovery operations. I have a 24,000 lbs PTO winch in the back, and a smaller 8,000 lbs electric winch on the front. I have a 12,000 lbs electric I could drop in, but its a cheap badland winch. The little one is a ramsey.

with the weight of the winches, ****** blocks, chains, etc the truck will weigh a good deal. Thats why leafs seam a little more practical to me.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:26 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the 05+ is still a solid d60. The coils just give you a better ride and turning radius. Instead of doing the rear shackles, you attach the rear control arm mount to the frame under the cab.

Edt: it appears that for a 2wd to 4wd conversion it is actually easier to use the 05+ setup

Quick Reply: Coil to leaf spring conversion help.