Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell Phone Mount installed (PANAVISE GROUP BUY THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell Phone Mount installed

Stewart forgot the most important part, my reply lol

Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
Stewart forgot the most important part, my reply lol

Yeah...um, no.....

Stewart

Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 PM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Show off, I still have the 5
This is a great example of how people act that actually have money. They could easily afford to pay cash for a new phone or car but instead buy used or keep what they have and not run and get the next new gadget.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 PM
7.3Excursion4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like someone, who has a friend at a company which could benefit a lot of people, should organize a group buy

Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
Alright - I got this thing installed. I have to say that I really like it. It is incredibly sturdy. The bracket itself is surprisingly solid considering how thin it is. It is extremely hard to bend. Once screwed into the cup holder bracket it's not going anywhere. The rest of the mounting hardware is just as well built and sturdy. I'm extremely happy with the end results. Knowing what I was looking for now I could have installed this in 15 minutes or less. It took me an hour this time mainly because I kept getting distracted and had to get ready for a week long camping trip this weekend.

After trying so many mounts that never truly worked and got in the way I really like it. It's nice having something that isn't going anywhere and I never have to worry about it falling off (suction cups and magnets) or damaging something (cd mount) or taking up valuable space (cup mount and vent mounts).

The 3 main parts, the top is the AMPS to Phone holder mount. Middle is the actual phone holder and the bottom is the Excursion specific bracket

9/32 screws to remove here

9/32 screw to remove here

9/32 screw to remove here

Do NOT remove these T15 screws. I thought this is what the instructions meant but I was wrong. This was a waste of 10 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't get the cup holder out....

It's hard to tell from this picture but those 9/32 are vertical. You can only access them once the cup holder is pulled out (just the cup holders). Unscrew those guys and you can now pull the whole unit out.

Now that you have the cupholder unit pulled out a little bit, you can slip the mount into place and start putting it back together.

Nice snug fit with the cup holder back in.

Here I mounted the AMPS mount to the bracket. In hind sight I would have just put this on before since there are little nuts and bolts to work with. It just takes little longer doing it at this point since I'm doing it somewhat blind.

iPhone 6+ works great. The mount came with a second set of side holders which makes for a VERY secure fit. This is going nowhere.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:24 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wdDezlX
This is a great example of how people act that actually have money. They could easily afford to pay cash for a new phone or car but instead buy used or keep what they have and not run and get the next new gadget.
Rude. Maybe some of us had been using the same phone for five years, it had no more volume controls, been repaired to within an inch of its life and finally had a free upgrade.

for no hard feelings and in good humor

Tech, awesome write-up and I'm pretty sure I'm sold on this mount. Are the arms fully extended to hold your phone, or is there some more room to work with? I have the Rokform case on mine and it adds a bit to the width, which is why I ask.

x2 on group buy

Old 06-18-2015, 05:59 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
I may be interested in just the vehicle specific mount. I have some Ram mount pieces I currently use for my work van and have a another in the excursion. But that bracket would bring it up higher to see. Hopefully I can combine the 2 together.

These are what I currently use

RAM Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Holder with 1" Ball

RAM 1" Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Diamond Base

Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Technologiq
Elder User

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Rude. Maybe some of us had been using the same phone for five years, it had no more volume controls, been repaired to within an inch of its life and finally had a free upgrade.

Tech, awesome write-up and I'm pretty sure I'm sold on this mount. Are the arms fully extended to hold your phone, or is there some more room to work with? I have the Rokform case on mine and it adds a bit to the width, which is why I ask.

x2 on group buy
yes, you could easily have a big case on your phone and it still fit

Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Technologiq
Elder User

Originally Posted by 2wdDezlX
I may be interested in just the vehicle specific mount. I have some Ram mount pieces I currently use for my work van and have a another in the excursion. But that bracket would bring it up higher to see. Hopefully I can combine the 2 together.

These are what I currently use

RAM Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Holder with 1" Ball

RAM 1" Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Diamond Base
Anything with the AMPS hole pattern will connect right up.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-202U

Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by Technologiq
Anything with the AMPS hole pattern will connect right up.

RAM 2.5" Round Ball Base with the AMPs Hole Pattern & 1" Ball
Awesome. So, where do we sign up for the group buy!?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:29 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
This looks like Im going to install one in my EX. I have a cup holder version now and its rather obnoxious. Thanks for posting this!!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
Going to talk to them today and see if they can do anything for us for a group buy or not.

Edit: I've reached out to them re: a group buy and see what they say.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Technologiq
Going to talk to them today and see if they can do anything for us for a group buy or not.

Edit: I've reached out to them re: a group buy and see what they say.
It looks like the mount will fit the HTC One M8? If so, I'm in, too!

Is there a hole in the bottom for a charging cable?

I use TorquePro and my GPS on my phone, sometimes hours at a time, so it suck some battery. I've been plugging it in and setting it sideways in the passenger cup holder with the charging cable out the slot.

I was thinking about a floor mount, but concerned with how much wasted space that would be when it comes time for gauge mounting and accessing the front of the storage console.

Tell your buddy he's got the chance to make a bunch of new friends, LOL.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt

Same here. I was on the 5c since it came out (I was on the 3g before that and got it for a song after the 4 came out) and had no choice but to get the 5 when my 5c took it's last breath. I have NEVER in my life had a first gen item of any sort (not even Oreo flavor) and this was a HUGE deal for me

I'm in for a GB! I'll take one!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:58 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Same here. I was on the 5c since it came out (I was on the 3g before that and got it for a song after the 4 came out) and had no choice but to get the 5 when my 5c took it's last breath. I have NEVER in my life had a first gen item of any sort (not even Oreo flavor) and this was a HUGE deal for me

I'm in for a GB! I'll take one!
Hey, I wasn't trying to stir up trouble or anything. Just making a simple observation from what I have heard listening to Dave Ramsey and learning how millionaires act and spend their money.

Quick Reply: Cell Phone Mount installed (PANAVISE GROUP BUY THREAD)