Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is this normal? [Driveshaft clunking]

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:22 AM
corksil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal? [Driveshaft clunking]

Hello. 2002 F350 7.3l ZF6 manual transmission -- Crew cab, short bed.

Ever since I bought the truck a few month ago, I've had a nagging feeling that there should not be as much free-play in the driveshaft as there is.

Example -- today I was diagnosing a different [possible worn motor mount] issue, and this is what I did. Put the truck in gear, stomp the brake pedal. Slowly release the clutch until truck almost stalled, and then stomp the clutch pedal to disengage engine from rear wheels. The resulting sound was a loud "clunk clunk clunk clunk" from the driveshaft spinning forward and backward.

Same thing in reverse gear. Put the truck in reverse, stomp the brake pedal. Slowly release the clutch until truck almost stalled, and then stomp the clutch pedal to disengage engine from rear wheels. Again, I heard a "clunk clunk clunk" from the driveshaft spinning forward and backward.

I had the rear differential cover off recently while changing fluids and the gear mesh pattern looked good.

If I park the truck on flat level ground, set it in gear, and turn it off -- I can crawl under the truck and use my hand to twist the driveshaft forward and backward. There seems to be quite a lot of free play in the rotation of the rear driveshaft before it contacts anything in either forward or reverse rotation.

Is this normal? I can take a video and upload/link it if it will help with diagnosis.

Thank you very much.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:45 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes! Please shoot and attach the video. Make sure the parking brake is working and set when you shoot the video.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
I have a single piece drive shaft in my truck in my signature (similar to yours) and there is no play at all in the drive shaft. If I go under the truck and grab the drive shaft it doesn't even move but a 1/4" at most in either direction. What do the U-joints look like? If you have the single piece shaft then there should be 3 if I remember correctly.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:03 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Three u-joints on the two-piece shaft with a center support (or carrier) bearing between the two shafts.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Just grease the slip-joint and that should solve it!

Old 06-17-2015, 02:10 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
Just grease the slip-joint and that should solve it!
What Whitey said. Cured my clunking drive shaft

Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford actually sells a small kit for it. It comes with a small pouch of Teflon grease and a new metal ring clamp for the rubber boot..

Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 AM
corksil
Senior User
I was under the truck today and didn't feel much play in the slip joint. I held each side firmly and tried to rotate the other half in each direction and could barely feel any movement.

Last time I had the driveshaft out it had the blue rubbery stuff on the male end of the shaft, and it didn't look to be worn off anywhere.

I'm seriously considering that kit, just to rule out one more variable.

Here is video of play right next to rear pinion. Normal?

Here is second video of play at other end of driveshaft (transfer-case). Also noticed a scuff on underside of cab where it appears that the transfer-case driveshaft end was rubbing. I've noticed a strange noise while backing up with 7 tons on rear hitch in 4wd. Also the same chafing grinding noise of driveshaft rubbing on underside of cab while engine braking down a steep hill at 5mph (Low-range 2wd, hubs unlocked).

Thank you all for the words and guidance.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 AM
corksil
Senior User
I suspect that the driveshaft clunking I'm hearing is due to stomping in the clutch while the driveline is still under a lot of torque.

Imagine towing 7 tons in first gear at 10mph -- then mashing the clutch pedal to the floor without releasing the throttle pedal. "Clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk" -- Sometimes as many clunks as seven.

Sounds like the driveshaft bouncing forward/backward against the rear wheels and that tiny amount of free-play. I will try to take another video. From the noise, it sounds as if something is going to tear itself apart.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:38 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Each one of your videos is set to private...at least from this computer.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:01 PM
corksil
Senior User
Should be viewable now..

Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
corksil
Senior User
Anyone? Thanks!

Old 06-20-2015, 05:24 PM
corksil
Senior User
thread to top....

Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Mine never did it till John Woods worked on it. Now it dose it too. I haven't looked into it et but when I do I'll report back. It's to hot fo9r me now so next fall.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 AM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I hate to bring back this old thread, but did you ever discover anything about this? Mine with the 5.4 has this exact same thing. I assumed it was normal, but now I don't know

Quick Reply: Is this normal? [Driveshaft clunking]