2005 Frame Rusted Through - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

2005 Frame Rusted Through

Old 06-16-2015, 01:40 PM
New User

srgntrbt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy 2005 Frame Rusted Through

I was surprised a couple of weeks ago when a local garage mechanic told me the frame of my 2005 F150 (41,000 miles) was rusted through on the bottom and would not pass inspection. I purchased it new in December of 2005, year end deal. The rest of the body is in pretty good shape. I live in northern Vermont where salt is used but I have never garaged the truck just so the heat of a garage would not accelerate any chemical reaction. I expected the sheet metal body to rust through long before any part of the frame. I know of plenty of Model A's that still have solid frames even after 80 plus years.

The local dealer has told me sorry, out of warranty, and that it is unsafe to drive. I have to foot the bill for any repair... so until I repair it my truck has gone from its book value to zero just like that. I was hoping to keep it a few more years.

I have filed a complaint with the NTSB and checked for any recalls. As I read over the 5 year warranty they specifically mention "rust through on the body". According to them the frame is part of the body, I thought it was the supporting structure of body and other mechanical parts.
What recourse if any do I have with Ford?
It does not appear to fit within the Vermont Lemon Law guidelines.
Any suggestions or further information would be much appreciated.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Senior User

mds47588 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Possible that you would have pics of the damage?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM
New User

RED DYE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wash the frame on my 08 just as much as the outside. Run flowing water through the access holes. You'd be surprised how much gravel, road chips, and salt residue gets in there and sits in the bottom. A buddy's 01 chevy broke in half when his frame rusted out. The GMs have a c channel that holds about an inch of gravel in the bottom. He never thought to wash it and get it out and ultimately it doomed his truck. I'm not sure if you are going to get much help from Ford as the conditions your state has put you in, while unfortunate, is probably something that they would consider needing extra maintenance for extreme conditions. I would have the frame repaired by a good shop and invest in a good coating.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Senior User

jr105 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You're probably stuck with having to pay for the repair yourself. I don't see much chance of getting any relief on a 10 year old truck, especially one that has seen 10 New England winters.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
It may be a few days but I will try to get some. Don't have any at the moment.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
guy with similar problems - plate repairs for $1000.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...5-f-150-a.html
Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM
New User

2005 F150 Frame rusted through, camera on ground so could not get good distance shot.

2005 F150 Frame rust through

Last edited by srgntrbt; 06-28-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Just want to comment that even though I live in salt country the underneath of the body is in pretty good shape but frame NOT
Old 06-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Senior User

scottscott is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scottscott is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Toyota has rust problems on their Tacoma pickup frames. Supposedly if you complain enough Toyota will replace the frame. I wouldn't want to be the mechanic that gets that job.

Best thing you can do with a truck frame if you live in the rust belt: Coat the frame everywhere you can with a thick layer of wheel bearing grease. Cover everything you can, brake & fuel lines too. Its messy, but it will keep rust away. Or, fill an undercoating gun with motor oil & spray the underside a few times a year, inside body panels too. This is really messy but works great.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:31 PM
New User

Wish I had done exactly that.... oil/grease undercoating but obviously I didn't. Maybe my next truck. I'm still hoping to have this frame repaired and be able to still get 4 or 5 years out of this truck. If repaired as planned I will do the undercoating as suggested.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Junior User

WilliamKG88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow... that's inexcusable. I have 2 salt state trucks in my driveway, a 1997 B2300 (Ranger) with 185,000 miles and a 1981 F150 with 78,000 miles and neither have rust on the frames that bad.

I only replied because I logged in and saw "2005 frame rusted through" and couldn't believe my eyes. I thought only Toyotas and Isuzus rotted this early!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKG88 View Post
Wow... that's inexcusable. I have 2 salt state trucks in my driveway, a 1997 B2300 (Ranger) with 185,000 miles and a 1981 F150 with 78,000 miles and neither have rust on the frames that bad.

I only replied because I logged in and saw "2005 frame rusted through" and couldn't believe my eyes. I thought only Toyotas and Isuzus rotted this early!
When I look at this in real life it almost looks as though the metal in the frame was made up of layers. So far I have not had any success with Ford, they are just blowing me off... out of warranty. I expected the frame to last longer than the body.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM
New User

tomb1269 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just found nearly the same on my upper passenger side just behind wheel skirt. So frustrated. I own 3 fords, 2006 freestar torque convert failed due to known issue (recall on 04 & 05 but not 06 & 07), 2002 Syncronizer failure at 75k known issue no recall and this issue can take out the motor if not caught in time, 2005 F150 Spark plugs (waiting to see if I get any money from lawsuit - I am luckier than others as I am on the low end for total cost, however it sucks as I normally replace my own plugs and therefore would never had been any where near the $300 lawsuit threshfold), Fuel pressure control PC failed when my dad had it, now the frame. I had been using Mobile 1 synthetic every 6 months regardless of mileage (4 to 6k every 6 months) so as to hopefully not endup with phasor issues.
I used to be a GM guy, switching to Ford had just kind of happened and I had been fairly happy. But with this, my beautiful F150 FX4 Leather interior, power sliding rear window, sunroof, is now basically junk. I know I have sometime left with her but not as much as I had hoped (had thought I get at least 160 - 170K (i.e. 5 or 6 more years) with her if I kept after the little things. Now its driver her into the ground.
In short I am done with Ford. And being I do not care much for the GMC's looks its either Dodge, or possible Nissan or Toyota........ I have never been much of a fan of being foreign...... But if Ford is going to continue to leave me and the rest of us hanging then maybe its time to make some one else "THE BEST SELLING TRUCK"
Old 06-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Posting Guru

CougarJohn has a good reputation on FTE.CougarJohn has a good reputation on FTE.CougarJohn has a good reputation on FTE.
I am sorry to have to tell you this, pal, but the truck is probably junk. The problem is not with Ford. The problem is with the NaCl that is spread on the roads of your state to liquify the ice.
Iron is iron. Salt does what it does to iron.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM
New User

PaulFi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DYE View Post
I wash the frame on my 08 just as much as the outside. Run flowing water through the access holes. You'd be surprised how much gravel, road chips, and salt residue gets in there and sits in the bottom. A buddy's 01 chevy broke in half when his frame rusted out. The GMs have a c channel that holds about an inch of gravel in the bottom. He never thought to wash it and get it out and ultimately it doomed his truck. I'm not sure if you are going to get much help from Ford as the conditions your state has put you in, while unfortunate, is probably something that they would consider needing extra maintenance for extreme conditions. I would have the frame repaired by a good shop and invest in a good coating.
My F-150 frame is rusted on the sides and not the bottom. New England weather in and of itself will not cause a well built frame to rust through. My previous truck was a 2001 Dakota that was a work truck. I got rid of it last year and the frame had no rot through. The bed and body was rotted thru in a lot of areas. It looks to me the problem is with the frame rail steel. Toyota replaced the frames on trucks older than 10 years old too.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:16 PM
New User

PaulFi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post

Driver's side on the outside of the rail

Passenger side inside side of rail just before the rear axle