Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Help?

I did a test today on my 1993 F-150 302:

KOEO:

66, 36

KOER:

I can't find these in my Haynes manual. Any help?

Evan

'93 F-150 loaded and modified!
Check my Gallery

Old 03-09-2002, 05:46 PM
mickelsons
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Code Help?

what did you use to get these codes?

Old 03-09-2002, 06:23 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Code Help?

I used the method where you connect a jumper wire between the diagnostic port and the STI port.

I'm sure these are the correct codes, because I tested twice and got the same results twice.

Check my Gallery

Old 03-09-2002, 09:33 PM
mickelsons
Tuned
Code Help?

oh I didn't know how to do that for sure.

Old 03-09-2002, 10:58 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Code Help?

Evan , You got something kooky going on there because you shouldnt have got 36 or 66 with KOEO . Code 32 is valid for ER . Code 53 only applies to Diesels & Code 86 is only displayed in KOEO . I think what you are doing is maybe including the Seperator Code when counting the flashes . Also , when you enter the engine running test , As soon as the test begins you will get an Engine ID Code which causes the CEL to blink , In your case , 4 times , One half of the total number of cylinders , Disregard it . The ER Codes will be displayed after you are commanded to do the Dynamic Response Test , Which means you basically give a brief WOT , After that the ER codes , If any , Will be displayed . The Seperator Code basically lets you know that the KOEO is finished & you are entering the Continuous Memory portion of the Self Test . Its a brief single flash , Disregard it as far as using it to determine the codes . I think you just confused as to what flashes to count . Also make sure the engine is at O/T temp before doing any of the Self Tests . If you have a manual trans keep the clutch pedal on the floor during the tests .

Old 03-10-2002, 12:20 AM
mickelsons
Tuned
Code Help?

OK is there a place on here that explains how to get these codes? and what all the jargon means? I have check eng light on mine and would like to read the codes again. I don't have the obdII handy anymore.
Thanks
Scott

Old 03-10-2002, 12:24 AM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Code Help?

Paul, Are the codes, if there is any, contineous, meaning repeating? Will they continue to repeat until the ignition is shut off?

The engine running test was really different than what I expected. My truck has a E40D, and when I started the test, I got the 4 blinks, and according to the Haynes manual, I need to push the brake pedal, which I did, didn't get any response off that. However the truck did idle high (to 1500rpm) and then low (1000rpm) and did that several times before idling down and staying there. Then I got several very very fast blinks(so fast I couldn't count them) and then it gave the codes.

It's my understanding that while the computer is doing it's own tests, it shows the ECM test codes before the "problem codes". Is that correct? I was waiting for the single code, but never saw it.

I'm gonna give it a try again tommorrow.

Check my Gallery

Old 03-10-2002, 01:23 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Code Help?

Ok , Let me explain the Self Tests ... Connect the jumper wire , Turn the key to run , If you have the E4OD , There is no need to press any pedal . First you will get the KOEO Codes , If any . Once they have displayed , You will get the single flash , thats the seperator code , Next comes the Continuous Memory Codes , If Any . To get the ER Codes , Turn ignition switch off , & turn the key to start the engine , Now you are in the KOER portion , The engine will flash the ID codes , 4 flashes & run the ER test , The engine will idle up & down etc while it cycles various sensors etc . Once its done , the idle will level off & you will see a single flash , When you see it floor the gas pedal briefly & release , If you dont do the WOT , The Ecu will assume you were unable to to the Dynamic Response test & blink the CEL accordingly . Now the ER codes will be displayed , If any . Just remember , the codes will repeat twice . Say you have Code 23 & 24 , Code 23 will display first , two blinks , pause , Three Blinks , It will then display Code 24 , Same deal with the flashes & then go back & repeat it starting with Code 23 again . Pay close attention so you dont mix & match the flashes . I think you just misread the flashes . I dont think you have a lot wrong , Just a bit of confusion as to how to read the flashes .

Old 03-10-2002, 11:21 AM
stevieray
Senior User
Code Help?

I got this site from the forum a while back. I printed it all to have for future reference. Check it out. SR.

http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

Old 03-10-2002, 11:53 AM
mickelsons
Tuned
Code Help?

SR, thanks alot that is exactly what i was looking for.

Old 03-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Code Help?

AH HA!

I figured out my mistake.

My truck uses the three digit format, which I didn't know. Explains why there wasn't a 4 second delay between codes.

I also noticed a really faint check engine lamp when the codes are initatiated, right before the seperator code. Is that normal?

KOEO:

634--Driver's error. Didn't know I had to press brake pedal on this test

KOKR:

538:No Goose Test
536:Noo Boo results-Driver's Error
632:E40D Cycle Not done

Which I know was allready my mistake, however I do have one question...

I did get a KOER code of 116-Coolant Temp Sensor out of range.

Does this mean that the motor wasn't fully warmed up? The needle wasn't past N in normal when I did, and I did check radiator level right after test.

Check my Gallery

Old 03-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Code Help?

Thanks guys for your help

Check my Gallery

Old 03-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Redneckerson