Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
Please enlighten me with your facts and real world data. I often hear about them and never see them. Have you ever considered why ford didn't enter others of their engines into the testing?????????????
Because it was called the Ecoboost Torture Test. Not the 3.7 Torture Test or the 5.0 Torture Test or the 6.2 Torture Test.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:14 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Ford has about 14 proving grounds located located in just about every climate on earth. Many of which were built long before the EcoBoost was even an idea. My guess is they torture test just about everything. It just so happens we were invited to see the EcoBoost testing.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I didn't ignore the torture test. Ford did that to answer an objection as to longevity (how long) and durability of the ecoboost engine. Anytime a manufacturer tries to address a legitimate issue, rather than go along with the answer legitimate concern, I tend to doubt the results of the seller's test. Now, if someone else had conducted a legitimate test, independently, I would take that as a good point. The fact that Ford conducted a test, means squat to me and I consider people who point the "Ford Endurance test" as evidence, to fall into a group commonly known as fools. That is the same group of people who believed Obama Care would lower the cost on insurance and many who thought they were going to get health care for free. Sorry to mix the issues, but the correlation seems fair.

Think about it, if you were the person conducting the "Endurance test," conduced by a Ford employee, do you really think you are going to keep your job if the ecoboost fails? The result of this test only had one answer; your results may vary...LMAO
The torture test and proving videos were conducted before the ecoboost was even widely available in an F-150. I'm pretty certain that Ford isn't dumb enough to create a series of infomercials about an engine that it intends to market heavily before they prove or dis proves what it can and can't do.

Remember all the times Ford and or their customers got burned by the 5.4L V-8, the 6.8L V-10 and the two POS diesels that they offered?

Originally Posted by xr7gt390
Ford has about 14 proving grounds located located in just about every climate on earth. Many of which were built long before the EcoBoost was even an idea. My guess is they torture test just about everything. It just so happens we were invited to see the EcoBoost testing.
Agreed and to help squelch the naysayers.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The torture test and proving videos were conducted before the ecoboost was even widely available in an F-150. I'm pre tty certain that Ford isn't dumb enough to create a series of infomercials about an enginethat it intends to market heavily before they prove or dis proves what it can and can't do.

Remember all the times Ford and or their customers got burned by the 5.4L V-8, the 6.8L V-10 and the two POS diesels that they offered?"

Read this again, I know what you are trying to say, but the statement contradicts itself. "I'm pretty certain that Ford isn't dumb enough to create a series of infomercials about an engine..." and then you go on to point out Ford's dumbness, "Remember all the times Ford and or their customers got burned by the 5.4L V-8, the 6.8L V-10 and the two POS diesels that they offered?"

The ecoboost has proven itself, but with the Ford history that you pointed out, I was not jumping in on it and I have said it 1000 times, but I don't see the point of trading two cylinders for two turbos. People think they are getting more, but I'm not seeing it.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Because it was called the Ecoboost Torture Test. Not the 3.7 Torture Test or the 5.0 Torture Test or the 6.2 Torture Test.
I'm still looking for the "facts" and "real world data" that you always claim to have and never produce.

All the "Torture Test" was is an infomercial. There was zero chance of that "test" having any other result. It really proves nothing.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:08 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ecobbost torture test was a marketing demo but there was nothing fake about it. Ford gambled the outcome would be good because they already did their homework. Many other engines already went through development, HALT rig, field testing, and other forms of validation. Those engines were monitored and studied meticulously. That thoroughness to become confident of the outcome should not detract from the raw guts it took to announce they would tear down the engine in front of the public at SEMA before they even completed the test sequence. That could have been a disaster! At the end of the day it is still impressive how little wear occurred considering what that engine went through.

They can't keep taking public demo risks like that. I don't think you'll see anything like that again.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:16 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
The Ecobbost torture test was a marketing demo but there was nothing fake about it. Ford gambled the outcome would be good because they already did their homework. Many other engines already went through development, HALT rig, field testing, and other forms of validation. Those engines were monitored and studied meticulously. That thoroughness to become confident of the outcome should not detract from the raw guts it took to announce they would tear down the engine in front of the public at SEMA before they even completed the test sequence. That could have been a disaster! At the end of the day it is still impressive how little wear occured considered what that engine went through.

They can't keep taking public demo risks like that. I don't think you'll see anything like that again.
You sound like a Ford commercial. Do you really think that was the first time they did that test?

Last edited by redford; 06-16-2015 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Repaired HTML markers
Old 06-15-2015, 01:15 PM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Old 06-15-2015, 03:34 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dagnabbit, old skinner done made me forget the original question - again!

Anyway, seems to me, OP, the Ecoboost would fit your towing needs just fine. Not just the engine either, but the chassis, etc. Cooling, chassis, brakes, etc., like I say, if you think going is important, just wait until you REALLY need to stop!! Whew, that'll raise ye blood pressure.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by rblomquist
Do I have this right.... The 3.5L ecoboost makes more torque than the 6.2L does & makes it at roughly 1/2 the rpm?
Here is the question.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Still, yet, and again... The eco boost naysayers still haven't died. Ford should listen. Eco boosts are junk. They should abort their mission. Glad they haven't, or they'd still be pumping out flatheads for Superduties. Ford has had their plates dirtied with poor engines and issues. I'm sure if the Ecoboost was the unreliable, short- lifespan, disposable piece he naysayers blab, it wouldn't be offered in 99% of their products. In addition, if their torture test was not as successful, I doubt they would have just swept months of testing and footage under the carpet. It would have been presented differently.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rblomquist
Do I have this right.... The 3.5L ecoboost makes more torque than the 6.2L does & makes it at roughly 1/2 the rpm?

Here is the question.
Pretty dang close... Keep in mind the F150 6.2 makes more HP and Torque than the Super Duty 6.2

F150 420 @ 2500 rpm (3.5 ecoboost V6 gas engine)
Super Duty 405 @ 4500 rpm (6.2L V8 gas engine)

Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by smokewagun
Still, yet, and again... The eco boost naysayers still haven't died. Ford should listen. Eco boosts are junk. They should abort their mission. Glad they haven't, or they'd still be pumping out flatheads for Superduties. Ford has had their plates dirtied with poor engines and issues. I'm sure if the Ecoboost was the unreliable, short- lifespan, disposable piece he naysayers blab, it wouldn't be offered in 99% of their products. In addition, if their torture test was not as successful, I doubt they would have just swept months of testing and footage under the carpet. It would have been presented differently.

I think you are being unfair when you call the ecoboosts "junk". I do think the higher price is mostly profit, that the engines will have shorter lives and that they are not saving gas. Most people don't tow either. I think they are over-sold.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Pretty dang close... Keep in mind the F150 6.2 makes more HP and Torque than the Super Duty 6.2

F150 420 @ 2500 rpm (3.5 ecoboost V6 gas engine)
Super Duty 405 @ 4500 rpm (6.2L V8 gas engine)
Please don't edit my posts.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:03 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Please don't edit my posts.
I did not edit your post. Only you or a moderator or administrator can do that.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?