Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:58 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I rented a Suburban that had cylinder deactivation. The highway MPGs were 21ish if you could maintain a constant speed. You get stuck in traffic and bye bye gas mileage. Stop light to stop light it was ok. Merging on the highway or trying to make lane maneuvers were all but impossible, unless you just cut people off. You'll find yourself flooring it just to make it go.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I rented a Suburban that had cylinder deactivation. The highway MPGs were 21ish if you could maintain a constant speed. You get stuck in traffic and bye bye gas mileage. Stop light to stop light it was ok. Merging on the highway or trying to make lane maneuvers were all but impossible, unless you just cut people off. You'll find yourself flooring it just to make it go.
That sounds NFG. our 3.5L EB is very, very driveable. Sweet ride in fact. The only difficulty (for me) has been using the automatic transmission in the mountains. Even using tow/haul or sport mode, it was always reacting late, and with too much "enthusiasm". I got exactly the reaction I needed by shifting into manual mode, and selecting the gears myself.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
My wife has a minivan with cylinder deactivation that seems to work pretty well. You get some vibration in the wheel when it goes down to 4 cylinders, but overall driveability is good and it seems to make a dent on fuel consumption.

On the video referenced earlier in the thread, we monitored my temperatures with an OBD reader and the Torque Pro app. Max coolant temp was 243 degrees.

Originally Posted by dkf
Doubtful. The F-150s cooling system as is, is no slouch. A large block, large heads and etc give a lot of surface area for the coolant and oil to come in contact with and draw heat away.(surface area the 3.5 EB can only dream of)
I don't think this has anything to do with it. To my knowledge the PID data for coolant temp comes from a coolant temperature sensor. So if the coolant temp hit 243, the system had no trouble moving heat from the engine to the coolant. The bottleneck was with heat being rejected from the radiator into the outside air. If your theory were correct the oil and head temperatures would have risen while coolant temp didn't. I have no evidence to support that idea.

The radiator size difference is noticeable though. As per the Ford specs the EcoBoost/Max Tow radiator is 521 square inches. The Super Duty 6.2L radiator is 837 square inches, and benefits from a clutch-driven fan that's far more powerful than the electric fans in the F150. The 6.2L doesn't have to worry about cooling the exhaust system, and the EcoBoost's cooling system has to absorb heat from two glowing hot turbos.

Combine slightly smaller radiator with increased power at a given RPM, a less effective cooling fan, and the added heat load from the turbos, I think it's pretty clear why it got a little warm.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't think this has anything to do with it. To my knowledge the PID data for coolant temp comes from a coolant temperature sensor. So if the coolant temp hit 243, the system had no trouble moving heat from the engine to the coolant. The bottleneck was with heat being rejected from the radiator into the outside air. If your theory were correct the oil and head temperatures would have risen while coolant temp didn't. I have no evidence to support that idea.

The radiator size difference is noticeable though. As per the Ford specs the EcoBoost/Max Tow radiator is 521 square inches. The Super Duty 6.2L radiator is 837 square inches, and benefits from a clutch-driven fan that's far more powerful than the electric fans in the F150. The 6.2L doesn't have to worry about cooling the exhaust system, and the EcoBoost's cooling system has to absorb heat from two glowing hot turbos.

Combine slightly smaller radiator with increased power at a given RPM, a less effective cooling fan, and the added heat load from the turbos, I think it's pretty clear why it got a little warm.
The mass of the engine does not just have more area for transferring heat to the cooling system and oil it also takes more heat to get it up to a higher temperature vs say the EB. Then when you get down the other side of the grade you have more cubic inches to pump fuel and air thru to cool the engine down.(because that what these engines are, air pumps) You also have more cubic inches to increase engine braking. There is a reason why trucks and equipment that are made to carry heavy loads throughout their lives use rather large displacement engines vs a smaller displacement engine that is capable of the same output. Many of the people in this thread seem to think just because an engine makes the same or more power than a larger engine, that the smaller engine is suitable for the same applications. Which is false.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dkf
The mass of the engine does not just have more area for transferring heat to the cooling system and oil it also takes more heat to get it up to a higher temperature vs say the EB. Then when you get down the other side of the grade you have more cubic inches to pump fuel and air thru to cool the engine down.(because that what these engines are, air pumps) You also have more cubic inches to increase engine braking. There is a reason why trucks and equipment that are made to carry heavy loads throughout their lives use rather large displacement engines vs a smaller displacement engine that is capable of the same output. Many of the people in this thread seem to think just because an engine makes the same or more power than a larger engine, that the smaller engine is suitable for the same applications. Which is false.
Can't argue with any of that.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
The question I would have is how that might work on a V6. Not as many cylinders to deactivate...
Wife's V6 Honda SUV has cyl deactivation & it works flawlessly. From a driveability standpoint I don't notice it kicking on or off.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Can't argue with any of that.
I do get the point you made though.

My hunch is that the actual coolant temp before going to the radiator in the case of the 3.5l EB in the test was less than 243 degrees. I say this because the temp sensors are usually fairly close to the heat generating areas of the engine, plus they are usually screwed into aluminum or iron.

Originally Posted by rblomquist
Wife's V6 Honda SUV has cyl deactivation & it works flawlessly. From a driveability standpoint I don't notice it kicking on or off.
On a lighter and more aerodynamic SUV I don't doubt it. Trucks on the other hand are not what I call either.

Honestly I would rather Ford stay away from cylinder deactivation. Their mpg are close enough to the competition as is.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:23 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rutherk1
I see the 6.2 and eco compared a lot. I'm sure the eco is a good motor. Why don't they put it in the F350?

I would be anxious to see an eco and 6.2 with 14k behind it pulling up hill for 100,000 miles.

My money is on the 6.2 about 10 fold.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 AM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by rutherk1
I don't know why ford isn't doing cylinder deactivation. 20mpg highway on the GM 6.2 PUSHROD motor with 460LB of TQ.

The cylinder deactivation of the 70s-80s was crap but it seems like the technology has been figured out.

Car and Driver got a Silverado 0-60 in 5.4 seconds too.

Who knows.
If cylinder deactivation worked well, maybe Ford would use it, but it doesn't.

The internet is full of devices like this to deactivate the GM fuel management system and keep your V-8 working as a V-8. If the strategy worked well, there would be no market for these devices.

Amazon.com: Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device: Automotive Amazon.com: Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device: Automotive

Typical review of this device:

Used on a 2009 Suburban, that is substantially used for highway travel. Having the AFM disabled has not decreased fuel mileage whatsoever. This suburban was using oil due to the AFM (approximately 1/2 to 1 quart in 3,000 miles) and this is the only device made that can disable AFM without a tuner. After using it non-stop for approximately 4,500 miles - THE OIL USAGE HAS STOPPED - PERIOD! I just checked this morning and the oil has NOT budged. (2009 Suburban 36,500 Miles).

Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by redford
If cylinder deactivation worked well, maybe Ford would use it, but it doesn't.
You can't rip a single example of a bad system out of context and declare them all to be ineffective.

The system in my wife's Honda works great and seems to get about 3 MPG better than competing vans on the highway. Chrysler has been using cylinder deactivation for about 10 years, and starting a couple of years ago they were putting it into their heavy duty pickups.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
You can't rip a single example of a bad system out of context and declare them all to be ineffective.

The system in my wife's Honda works great and seems to get about 3 MPG better than competing vans on the highway. Chrysler has been using cylinder deactivation for about 10 years, and starting a couple of years ago they were putting it into their heavy duty pickups.

June 17, 2014 my truck got destroyed and I rented another truck for work. It was the 5.7l Ram. I couldn't tell when it kicked in and out of 4 cylinders. Ford was out of production and I almost bought a Ram. It just didn't feel right.

Anyhow, I was impressed the the Ram.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
June 17, 2014 my truck got destroyed and I rented another truck for work. It was the 5.7l Ram. I couldn't tell when it kicked in and out of 4 cylinders. Ford was out of production and I almost bought a Ram. It just didn't feel right.

Anyhow, I was impressed the the Ram.
It's too bad that you didn't buy the Ram, then you could be over there poking their users with same rhetoric.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too late, Tim. Ram dealer banned him too.

I tried to rep you for that hilarious post.... But it won't let me.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 PM
bsboothe
New User
From reading 5 pages of this thread, no one ever did mention that the 6.2L has/had 411hp and 434 lb-ft of torque in the F150/Raptor. Ford and Ram tune down their engines from the LD to their HD series pickups. Ram tunes down their 5.7L hemi and Ford does similarly with their SD's. Even Chevy's 6.0L is low in power on paper, but still pulls descent. I'm sure that there's a difference between the same motors such as different cams, timing, tune, and possible transmissions. The light duty trucks are tuned to be sports cars while SD trucks are tuned to work.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bsboothe
From reading 5 pages of this thread, no one ever did mention that the 6.2L has/had 411hp and 434 lb-ft of torque in the F150/Raptor. Ford and Ram tune down their engines from the LD to their HD series pickups. Ram tunes down their 5.7L hemi and Ford does similarly with their SD's. Even Chevy's 6.0L is low in power on paper, but still pulls descent. I'm sure that there's a difference between the same motors such as different cams, timing, tune, and possible transmissions. The light duty trucks are tuned to be sports cars while SD trucks are tuned to work.
I sort of mentioned it back in post # 42 of this thread.

Originally Posted by NASSTY
Pretty dang close... Keep in mind the F150 6.2 makes more HP and Torque than the Super Duty 6.2

Quick Reply: 3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?