Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:30 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The Tacomas are nice trucks. However for what you pay for one, what mpg they get, the less power and etc.......It is is outdone by the current half tons by quite a large margin.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
How did he know the actual coolant temp? Hooked up to data link or something?

His video is in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-hd-video.html

I think he had a scanguage hooked up.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
The Tacomas are nice trucks. However for what you pay for one, what mpg they get, the less power and etc.......It is is outdone by the current half tons by quite a large margin.
True statement today. I'll reserve judgement on the 2016 Tacoma until I see one. I'm very curious about the new Atkinson cycle V6. How It Works: 2016 Toyota Tacoma's 'Atkinson' Cycle - PickupTrucks.com News. There is (and will be) still a considerable size difference. However, if you don't need the space of an F150, the Tacoma might become a reasonable alternative. I know we have loved the Tacomas that we have owned. However, the old 4L V6 they are currently using in the 2015 Tacoma, is quite a gas hog.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:26 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
This thread is interesting to me as I happen to have a 2012 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. I have just over 80,000 miles on the truck with about 30,000 of them towing miles. I recently purchased a 2015 Super Duty with the 6.2. Long story, shortened, went to find a used truck for my son to use for a college internship, ended me getting a new truck and letting him use the old one. There is a big performance difference between the 2 trucks, can't wait to hook up a trailer.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkf
I know where you're coming from. If it were not for the fact they're FINALLY coming out with a modern engine & trans pkg I wouldn't even be considering them. Folks are expecting a decent mpg bump with the new 3.5L & 6-speed trans. The resale value on these are insane (in a good way if you own one). Because of that I'm considering it as worst case, if we bought another camper down the road I wouldn't loose my *** if I needed to go up to F-150 power.

I really wish Ford would sell the Global Ranger to us here. I prefer to buy Ford when I can, but sometimes they don't offer the exact fit.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:19 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by rblomquist
I know where you're coming from. If it were not for the fact they're FINALLY coming out with a modern engine & trans pkg I wouldn't even be considering them. Folks are expecting a decent mpg bump with the new 3.5L & 6-speed trans. The resale value on these are insane (in a good way if you own one). Because of that I'm considering it as worst case, if we bought another camper down the road I wouldn't loose my *** if I needed to go up to F-150 power.

I really wish Ford would sell the Global Ranger to us here. I prefer to buy Ford when I can, but sometimes they don't offer the exact fit.
Which is why I'm trying to convince my bride that the Subaru Outback should be our next family vehicle.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How is the global ranger even a desire? I'd much rather a PU Transit Connect than a 9/10th F150.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:10 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
True statement today. I'll reserve judgement on the 2016 Tacoma until I see one. I'm very curious about the new Atkinson cycle V6. How It Works: 2016 Toyota Tacoma's 'Atkinson' Cycle - PickupTrucks.com News. There is (and will be) still a considerable size difference. However, if you don't need the space of an F150, the Tacoma might become a reasonable alternative. I know we have loved the Tacomas that we have owned. However, the old 4L V6 they are currently using in the 2015 Tacoma, is quite a gas hog.
I hope that is not their largest engine option for the new Tacoma.

I would give the new Tacoma at least a year if it were me. There has been too many times when a new vehicle comes out......bugs and a large amount of TSBs that need to be worked out.

You are going to end up getting hosed when you trade in 9.9 times out of 10. A half ton will give you some room to grow.

How is the global ranger even a desire? I'd much rather a PU Transit Connect than a 9/10th F150.
I for one have no desire to own or drive a front wheel drive euro trash looking thing from Turkey. If Ford comes out with another Ranger it better come somewhat close to competing with the Colorado, Tacoma and etc or Ford should not even bother.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Ecoboost engine can run full tilt all day. So can other engines. Nothing unique about that.

It is not the engine that differentiates tow ratings, it is the vehicle it is in. If I remember right, Tom's F150 Ecoboost with something like 15K pounds ran away from a V10, tuned 6.0L Powerstroke, and a 6.4L Powerstroke. No doubt the Ecoboost can run. But at the end of the day it is resting in an F150 chassis and that defines the capability of the truck.

Can the Ecoboost win a towing drag race against the 6.2L? Yep. Can an F150, regardless of engine, out tow a Superduty, regardless of engine? Nope.

"Stock Ecoboost engine can run full tilt all day." I have been trying to figure out where you are coming from. Now I know! LMAO

All day maybe--not tomorrow though. I am looking a little longer.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't start this sh** skinner.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
"Stock Ecoboost engine can run full tilt all day." I have been trying to figure out where you are coming from. Now I know! LMAO

All day maybe--not tomorrow though. I am looking a little longer.
Obviously you ignored the torture test.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I didn't ignore the torture test. Ford did that to answer an objection as to longevity (how long) and durability of the ecoboost engine. Anytime a manufacturer tries to address a legitimate issue, rather than go along with the answer legitimate concern, I tend to doubt the results of the seller's test. Now, if someone else had conducted a legitimate test, independently, I would take that as a good point. The fact that Ford conducted a test, means squat to me and I consider people who point the "Ford Endurance test" as evidence, to fall into a group commonly known as fools. That is the same group of people who believed Obama Care would lower the cost on insurance and many who thought they were going to get health care for free. Sorry to mix the issues, but the correlation seems fair.

Think about it, if you were the person conducting the "Endurance test," conduced by a Ford employee, do you really think you are going to keep your job if the ecoboost fails? The result of this test only had one answer; your results may vary...LMAO

Old 06-14-2015, 07:41 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
I didn't ignore the torture test. Ford did that to answer an objection as to longevity (how long) and durability of the ecoboost engine. Anytime a manufacturer tries to address a legitimate issue, rather than go along with the answer to me legitimate concern, I tend to doubt the results of the seller test. Now, if someone else had conducted a legitimate test, independently, I would take that as a good point. The fact that Ford conducted a test means squat to me and I consider people who point the "Ford Endurance test" as evidence, to fall into a group commonly known as fools. That is the same group of people who believed Obama Care would lower the cost on insurance and many who thought they were going to get health care for free. Sorry to mix the issues, but the correlation seems fair.

Thing about it, if you were the person conducting the "Endurance test" conduced by a Ford employee, do you really thing you are going to keep your job if the ecoboost fails? The result of this test only had one answer; your results may vary...LMAO
I knew you would choose your opinion over facts and real world data. You always do.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:43 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Don't start this sh** skinner.
I'm not sorry, your statement has no basis whatsoever and I countered. Often times your claims are flawed in this manner.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:44 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I knew you would choose your opinion over facts and real world data. You always do.
Please enlighten me with your facts and real world data. I often hear about them and never see them. Have you ever considered why ford didn't enter others of their engines into the testing?????????????

Quick Reply: 3.5 Eco outpowers the SD's 6.2L?