Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

1973 F250 Camper Special Refresh!

Old 06-13-2015, 01:38 AM
tfest
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1973 F250 Camper Special Refresh!

Recently I purchased a F250 Camper Special, in pieces, got it for VERY cheap. Over the next month I'll be focusing all of my spare time on getting it back together and running. It has a 360FE that will get some mild upgrades for now which are listed below. I'll also clean and update the interior with new carpet, seat cover and headliner. This truck has 70K original miles on it and a FRESHLY rebuilt engine from S&S. I cannot wait to get this thing on the road.

Current Plans:
Edelbrock RPM Intake
Holly 600CFM Carb
Edelbrock Aluminum Water Pump
2.5" Exhaust, XPipe, Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

Future Plans:
390 Internals
Comp Cam (to be determined on which one)
Crown Vic Front Suspension
And many other upgrades...

I am very excited for this project, I've wanted an old Ford pickup for a very long time. I will be updating this thread with the progress as time progresses.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Nice project! Looks like a nice solid truck.

Gotta love the big ol FE V8!!

Old 06-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi tfest are you out of the Spokane area? Im out of Colbert and saw that S&S engine rebuilders. Is that the one down off of Monroe street. I looked at your profile and it said Wa. so Im guessing that is the one you are talking about. They are supposed to be the premier Ford engine builders in the area or at least one time they were. Good luck on you truck I will be checking in from time to time to see how you are doing and if you cruise this week coming up on the 19th is the Car Dalane cruise over in the lake city.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:14 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
That is a beautiful truck to start with, I loved my 360 while I had it

Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 PM
tfest
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Hi tfest are you out of the Spokane area? Im out of Colbert and saw that S&S engine rebuilders. Is that the one down off of Monroe street. I looked at your profile and it said Wa. so Im guessing that is the one you are talking about. They are supposed to be the premier Ford engine builders in the area or at least one time they were. Good luck on you truck I will be checking in from time to time to see how you are doing and if you cruise this week coming up on the 19th is the Car Dalane cruise over in the lake city.
I'm in Vancouver, WA. I've done a bunch to it in the past week:

Interior stripped and painted the floors in Por15
Painted the engine bay
Edelbrock water pump
Pertronix Flamethrower dizzy

It's really hot here this weekend but if I find sometime in the evening I will be putting the engine in the truck. I will update this thread with pictures this afternoon.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM
tfest
Freshman User
Also, whats the best place to get interior bits? All I really know about is LMC so any other suggestions would be nice. I need all new rubber, carpet, bench seat cover.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM
tfest
Freshman User
The engine is almost completed. I have all of the parts but I leave tomorrow for a work trip so won't be able to finish it and install it in the truck till I get back.

I've also started cleaning out the engine bay. A new wiring harness will show up next week so that will be nice to have.

The truck has been pressure washed and I have some fun plans for the interior, can't wait to get this thing on the road.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:09 AM
tfest
Freshman User
got the motor installed.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but more than likely you will have problems with the end gaskets for the intake manifold, you would save yourself a ton of headaches while the engine is out to take that manifold back off and just seal the ends of the intake with a gasket maker/silicone instead

Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 AM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but more than likely you will have problems with the end gaskets for the intake manifold, you would save yourself a ton of headaches while the engine is out to take that manifold back off and just seal the ends of the intake with a gasket maker/silicone instead

second that, one bead of silicone on block and one bead of silicone on intake let stand for a couple minutes install intake to block then bolt it down and wipe off excess silicone with finger and lots of paper towels or use a rubber glove and clean off finger as you go.

Great looking build by the way will be following this thread. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM
tfest
Freshman User
^^ Understood. It should last till next summer when I take it all apart again to replace the heads with yet to be decided upon better ones.

Starting on the Ron Francis harness this week, so that'll be interesting. Waiting on the crank spacer from Survival Motorsports, ordered it a few weeks ago and it has yet to arrive. Once it does then I'll get to bolt the accessories on and get the rest of the engine bay completed.

After all that then I'll be removing the 2nd fuel tank and running all new fuel lines.

Then off to the muffler shop, 2.5", y-pipe, flowmaster delta 44's and it'll exit in front of the rear tires.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:15 PM
tfest
Freshman User
I'm running into a lot of trouble installing the Ron Francis harness. Most of the trouble is I'm way over my head.

Looks like I'll be removing the heater box under the dash for more access to the firewall.

Spent 3hrs today mounting the fuse box and running the wire from the starter to the solenoid, and staring at wiring diagrams...

With all the traveling I will be doing in the next 6 weeks it doesn't look like this will be finished before May.

I really want to get this truck running bur working on it by myself, between trips, outside has been a pain in the ***.

Wish me luck!

Old 03-25-2016, 07:12 PM
tfest
Freshman User
The wiring is going well. Looks like I'll be done with it sometime next week. When I get back from my travel in April I'll have to complete the list below before I can start it.

New fuel tank, sending unit, remove midship tank
New fuel lines
Install carb
Install distributor
Finish all hose connections
Wire up engine bay
Run all vacuum lines

Then I drive it off to the exhaust shop, with open headers.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:50 PM
tfest
Freshman User
I had some travel for work that held me back from working on this thing. In the last week I've finished all of the wiring in the cab. Now to move on to the engine bay today and finish that up.

Next I'll test everything, fix any issues then start buttoning up the rest of the truck. I cannot wait to get this thing on the road.

I do need to either buy a welder or pay a friend to weld in some new floor pans for me though...

Old 06-20-2016, 05:46 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Keep up the good work and it will be back on the road in no time!