6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Low Pressure Fuel Pump Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:18 PM
astecasphaltman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Pressure Fuel Pump Noise

I am a new diesel owner. I bought a 2014 F250 about 9 months ago. Three times in the last 50k miles I have heard the fuel pump near the tank making noise. Twice, while making the high pitched noise I have gotten a low fuel pressure warning and reduced engine power.

The first time, I left the truck with the dealer for two days while a tech drove it around. everything checked out fine. (30k miles)

The second time I heard the noise i did not get the low fuel pressure warning. (40k miles)

Today, I heard the noise and got the lower fuel pressure warning just before the truck stalled out. Lucky for me, I was near home. After a minute the truck start and I nursed it the last mile or two. (56k miles)

The tow truck just picked it up and is off to the dealer. It sound to me like the low pressure transfer pump is bad or going bad. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

Old 06-12-2015, 03:48 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Would be curious to know if yours started after a regen?

I picked up our new Voltage 5er this morning and on the way home saw the regen notice pop up. After driving about twenty miles home when we pulled up I could hear a loud squeal. After looking around a bit I can hear mine coming out from around exhaust or fuel tanks. I haven't been able to determine the exact location yet. Truck seems to be running fine except for the loud squeal. Also the other thing about my issue is it appears to only happen at Idle. If you press the pedal a little it appears to go away.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:30 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had one of my customers in with his '13 F350 6.7 that had a very similar situation. He had someone change the fuel filters that wasn't familiar with the 6.7 and the filter housing on the frame mounted filter was one revolution from being seated correctly. I turned it until it hit the stop, cleared all the engine codes and it has run great since. Just my $.02

Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I found my issue,

I couldn't stand hearing the loud squealing noise anymore. I ended up crawling under my truck, in my nice close I was wearing for the after noon, and found that the last thermal couple had somehow either blown out or backed it's way out and was just lying on top of the muffler. Waiting for the truck cool off enough to put it back in and hopefully it won't be an issue anymore.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 AM
astecasphaltman
Freshman User
I a call back from the dealer late Friday afternoon. The low pressure pump was bad. They are going to replace under warranty. Thanks for everyone input. I just get nervous any time something happens. These new engine can be so expensive to repair.

The noise was not related to a regen cycle. It was totally random. I have had an issue with the fuel filters not installed properly. That was a pain too.

The only real complaint I have is that the first time I went to the dealer they knew the low pressure pump was going bad, but Ford would not let them replace it until it completely failed. Ford has told the dealer just because the pumps are making noise doesn't mean that they are failing. That is BS I think.

I am just lucky that I was near home when it quite.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by astecasphaltman
I a call back from the dealer late Friday afternoon. The low pressure pump was bad. They are going to replace under warranty...
Welcome to the forum, astecasphaltman! I'm glad your dealership got to the bottom of this for you. Let us know how the repair goes; I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you have any news.

Crystal

Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM
epaul78
New User
I'm having the same issue with a 2015 with only 4k miles. Started it up last week and was getting a loud humming noise from the fuel tank area. I drove it around for awhile and noticed the low fuel pressure message on the display. I drove it straight over to my dealer and the service manager came out to listen. When I started it up the noise was gone (figures).

The next few days were incident free but about a week later it did the same thing. Took it back to the dealer and he had a diesel tech check it out and decided it was a low pressure fuel pump failure. They informed me that the part was on back order and could take a month (or more) to get and to call them in mid July to check on it. SERIOUSLY? They also said that it would be safe to drive in the meantime. On my way home the low pressure message came on again followed by the reduced engine power and the check engine light.

Now I have a (nearly) brand new truck that apparently will have to sit dead in the garage for the next month. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by epaul78
...Took it back to the dealer and he had a diesel tech check it out and decided it was a low pressure fuel pump failure. They informed me that the part was on back order and could take a month (or more) to get and to call them in mid July to check on it...
Sounds frustrating, epaul78; I want to see what I can do to turn this around for you. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start investigating options.

Crystal

Old 06-20-2015, 07:15 AM
astecasphaltman
Freshman User
Well it has been a few days and another 1500 miles. It seems that all is good. I love this truck. The only thing that scares me the potential price of some repairs.

The low pressure fuel pump issue I had probably would have been solved sooner if I was able to visit the same dealer every time. But, because I am a traveling salesman, the truck almost never see's the same dealer twice. I get service from the near Ford dealer when its time.

The problem is that the Ford service system does not track all your service and repair history. So you are stuck making your case every time you visit the dealer with a recurring issue. So I keep all my invoices in a file in the truck so that I can prove what I saying is true. My truck is only 10 months old and has 57K miles. I live in that truck and I know every sound. Like everyone on this forum, you can tell when something is not right just because the sound has changed.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by astecasphaltman
Well it has been a few days and another 1500 miles. It seems that all is good. I love this truck...
Great news, astecasphaltman! I'm glad this has been resolved. Keep in mind that I'm here as a resource if anything comes up in the future. I'll always be happy to help however I can.

Crystal

Old 06-23-2015, 03:48 PM
tcreek
Junior User
Glad they got yours fixed. Mine in the dealer for the second time in a week, and they haven't even looked at it yet. Said their diesel mechanic was in training this week, so it will be a couple of weeks before they look at it. Last time they changed the filters and it made it 50 or so miles before it gave the low fuel pressure and shut down. Luckily was only a couple blocks from home. Not so lucky was that I had a 16K lbs trailer connected at the time. Managed to get it back to the house at least.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by tcreek
Glad they got yours fixed. Mine in the dealer for the second time in a week, and they haven't even looked at it yet. Said their diesel mechanic was in training this week, so it will be a couple of weeks before they look at it...
Hi tcreek,

You might want to see if any other local Ford Dealerships would be able to help you out sooner. If you need assistance finding some options near you, just enter your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com What's the current mileage on your rig?

Crystal

Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 AM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi tcreek,

You might want to see if any other local Ford Dealerships would be able to help you out sooner. If you need assistance finding some options near you, just enter your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com What's the current mileage on your rig?

Crystal
Thanks Crystal, but the next closest dealer is about 300 miles away. The 2014 F350 only has 17000 miles on it. It's the one I PM you on last week. Could not see a need to escalate as they do not have anyone there this week to work on it. Kind of stuck waiting on the mechanic to return from training.

It's just frustrating that with such a short camping season up here, that a third of it is wasted because the truck is not working.

Thanks again,
Tom

Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by tcreek
Thanks Crystal, but the next closest dealer is about 300 miles away. The 2014 F350 only has 17000 miles on it. It's the one I PM you on last week. Could not see a need to escalate as they do not have anyone there this week to work on it. Kind of stuck waiting on the mechanic to return from training.

It's just frustrating that with such a short camping season up here, that a third of it is wasted because the truck is not working.

Thanks again,
Tom
I completely understand your frustration, Tom. If you decide you'd like me to go ahead and escalate this for you, just shoot a PM my way.

Crystal

Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 PM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordService
I completely understand your frustration, Tom. If you decide you'd like me to go ahead and escalate this for you, just shoot a PM my way.

Crystal
Looks like they found the problem. They found a cardboard insert from a Ford Cetane additive bottle cap sucked up against the fuel line in the tank. Have it taped to my dash to remember to check bottle is clear before adding Cetane.

Tom

Quick Reply: Low Pressure Fuel Pump Noise