General Automotive Discussion

Finding the cars you've always wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:02 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Finding the cars you've always wanted

Ever since I was a kid, I have had a thing for wagons, especially odd ones. My top three list for the longest time was the Volvo 240, Mercedes 300TD, and AMC Eagle. By the time I was of driving age, none of these cars existed, at least not in northern New England. Still, there was some mystical pull from these particular models.
I briefly had an 89 Subaru turbo wagon, that only served to increase my desire for these cars. While it was actually a pretty well built and fun little car, it had shortcomings, mostly related to an unstable engine that then had a turbo slapped on it. It did have an excellent AWD system, and combined with serious northern European snow tires it made short work of the nastiest weather it saw.
After it's demise, I had an opportunity to get an Eagle. The concept always intrigued me, a car with a tough AWD system, sturdy and decently powerful. Well, this car was a disaster. The body was in great shape, aside from being the most horrendous shade of yellow a car ever could be. I should have took that as a warning, but dove in anyways. The first thing- The heater core. The previous owner attempted and then took a hammer to the dash in frustration, and I don't blame him. This is one of the worst designs I have ever seen, where it would have been more practical to take a saw and cut the core out from the firewall side. The sharp edges were a nice bonus over the awkward angles.
The build quality was horrific, and despite having only done 60k, the transmission and transfer case coupling were both done. The engine ran ok until one day it started overheating, blew hoses, and somehow developed a blockage in the head. I got another head, then learned that right before this car was built they changed the head bolt design and what I needed didn't really exist, so I just got rid of the car. Between this and a Wagoneer, I swore off AMCs for life.
And that's what has me worried.
Today I had an opportunity to collect another of my top three cars, the Volvo 240. Not just any one, though, a turbo wagon. An actual, honest, unmolested turbo brick, right down to the alloy wheels. After the AMC event, I am nervous about pursuing another one of my favorites, only to have it blow up in my face.
I am reminded of an episode of Top Gear where James May gets to drive a Lamborghini Countach. Despite it having been an iconic car for thousands of kids, in the end the car is really pretty bad. My worry is that despite the downright rabid enthusiast following this car has, once I get it I'll long for the day it finds a new home.
Have any of you had an experience like this? A car you've always wanted, finally found and then it turned out to be..............

Old 06-12-2015, 02:50 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
well out of the 3 you listed, the 240 would be the only one I would want. Which I would like to find as well. I like the 90's subarus though if I can find one of those.
In the meantime my daily is actually a volvo 850 n/a

Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
There has never been an issue with the build quality of a 240. Given that there can be some mechanical issues, not major just little ones to bug you, that occur in higher mileage cars.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:06 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
There are actually two must haves that I would kick my 2011 F-150 to the curb for. A first generation Bronco, drive train is not a concern. Inline six or the 302, I don't care. And lastly, a first generation Mercury Cougar.

Unfortunately for me, my time is limited, my budget right now with a kid in college and the rest of the family living with us and my skill set prevent me from making such a move on one of these wonderful beasts.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:43 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My uncle had a Mercedes 300 TD wagon. It was a beautiful car and people would sometimes ask if it was for sale.

In Europe the Mercedes diesel is very popular for pulling campers and horse trailers.