2000 PSD 2wd Pulling Heavy NO SPEED "ON THE ROAD"

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2000 PSD 2wd Pulling Heavy NO SPEED "ON THE ROAD"

Mom and Dad left to come home for the summer From Florida, Pulling heavy

Can not get any faster than 45mph. Push on go peddle, nothing, Motor Don't even try to apply muscle to go faster.
Was thinking fuel pressure, but he stated when he puts peddle on the floor to attempt to speed up the only thing that happens is his EGT ski rockets up to 1300 degrees. Little stumped. exhaust valve closed somehow? Any idea's ? he gets up to 45mph normal, just flat lines after than.

When I called on them a little bit ago. He said all of sudden it is running fine at 60mph. But it works on and off. Intermittent. and different times

They are going to reach camp around 3pm/4pm today. I would like to give him things to check out before he attempts to hit the road again tomorrow morning.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:05 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Got him checking ICP on his next stop.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:29 PM
phinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have him try unplugging the exhaust back pressure valve sensor. I had a similar situation where the truck seemed sluggish and sounded as if the EBPV was closed after driving over 100 miles. Unplugged it and had no problems after that. Just tuck it up where it's out of the way.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:41 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Thanks. Will do. I was thinking to try that too but will take some doing to guide him thru that. If he can get it unplugged , worth a shot

Basically a stock truck . No screens in tank , no chip

I am thinking icp. No real engine response. Above 45. Peddle on the floor . But Real high egt. And super low mpg on the scan gauge reading. They said the motor sounded funny. Almost like a knock but not real sure. . Then all of a sudden back to normal . Egt came down. Mpg went back up . And sped up to 60mph. He said glad he looked at his egt gauge

Old 06-11-2015, 04:13 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
6 miles from camp stopped for fuel. Ran fine for last hour or so. But

When he restarted he says starts and sounds like the motor is loud like it is dumping fuel. . Limped 30mph to camp. Barely made it up slight hill . Backed into campground lot . I talked him through icp location and unplugging . He is going to unhook camper and go for drive . See if it behaves. . If good results . he is safe to drive it as is correct ? I think so . Has another half day of driving to reach brother and he can help change icp

Connector not oily . But can't see inside

Edit. Unhooked camper. Unplugged icp. Went for drive. City Starts / stops / thruway drive. . Running good .

Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by danskool
6 miles from camp stopped for fuel. Ran fine for last hour or so. But

When he restarted he says starts and sounds like the motor is loud like it is dumping fuel. . Limped 30mph to camp. Barely made it up slight hill . Backed into campground lot . I talked him through icp location and unplugging . He is going to unhook camper and go for drive . See if it behaves. . If good results . he is safe to drive it as is correct ? I think so . Has another half day of driving to reach brother and he can help change icp

Connector not oily . But can't see inside

Edit. Unhooked camper. Unplugged icp. Went for drive. City Starts / stops / thruway drive. . Running good .
Before I put much stock in that one test have him plug the icp sensor back in and go for the same test drive to make sure it wasn't placebo from not having the camper hooked up.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAC boot leak and unable to build boost and then seals off later?????

Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
True that. Told him good we got good instant results but time will tell. Shoving off in the morning .

boost leak. It is doubtful. I put on rifts boots and new clamps a few years back .and checked everything last fall . Possible though. Wish I could see it and snap in my laptop /ae

Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
We have three of these trucks. They run and ran so well for us , my trouble shooting skils has me scratching my head and my memory is dormant. Forgive me for talking thru it

Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Left this morning. Went 27 miles to flying jays for breakfest. Fine
After breakfest. Hit the road and got to speed ok 55mph.

But EGT 150-300 and scangauge reading 4mpg and 2200 rpm.

Then all of a sudden. it would shift and rpm would drop 1600 Scan gauge 12 mpg EGT 600/700. Been running fine. They said at least they can maintain speed now and has more power. Some hills around town they struggled to get up hills. Unplugging ICP definitely helped.

Somthing has to do with Load related. Without the camper the truck runs great. He drove all over in florida. Last night he unhooked and it runs great. Hook up the camper this morning and it misbehaves.

True test again when they have to stop again to use the restroom.. ha. we will see.

Stumped, But they are happy they can go 55mph now.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:26 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Ran fine all morning . Until they stopped at flying jay . Upon restarting and heading back out. Same thing. Happening. They can push peddle to floor and nothing happens except real high egt and real low mpg. And 2200 rpm. Tried just using cruise condrol only but it deactivates on its own . The only thing they did was stop and touch shifter . I wonder if we have a colum chaffed wire .

Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Any place good around Charlotte NC he can take it to ? He will be there shortly

Old 06-12-2015, 01:18 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there any/alot of black smoke out the tailpipe?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:35 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
They are about 5 miles out from distination . For the day. They said "no black smoke ". Or noticed any .

And I said pulling heavy. But not that heavy. Around 10k lbs

I am leaning towards very low fuel pump pressure. . I say that because last fall I noticed the pump sounded kinda growly . But we talked ourselves out of changing it .

Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
They are going to stay where they are for a few days in charolete. But going to run/limp to virginia camp grounds where they will be for a few days. And get the truck checked out. hope they can find someplace that knows what they are doing. I think that fuel pump came back to haunt us.

Quick Reply: 2000 PSD 2wd Pulling Heavy NO SPEED "ON THE ROAD"