Sponsored by:

Redhead Steering Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:37 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Mine was total crap from the beginning, took about 3/4 of one turn.... It felt OK, but nothing to write home about, failed shortly after by leaking from cover...

New OEM felt great from install.... NO Drama

BTW, sorry you have to deal with this crap.
I can't afford to just replace it with another oem unless redhead decides to give me back my money. I'll have my mechanic mess with it a little, it has to go back to have a leaking hose swapped. I'll just have to live with it.

For all those considering a redhead, I would go with OEM instead as Michael has.

Michael, you shouldn't be sorry that I have to deal with this crap, REDHEAD should.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:39 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DidieX
I can't afford to just replace it with another oem unless redhead decides to give me back my money. I'll have my mechanic mess with it a little, it has to go back to have a leaking hose swapped. I'll just have to live with it.

For all those considering a redhead, I would go with OEM instead as Michael has.

Michael, you shouldn't be sorry that I have to deal with this crap, REDHEAD should.
Please remember once you touch it you will void he warranty... Call them first

Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
As soon as an adjustment is made the warranty (on the Redhead) is void.

Read my full posting, I'm not wasting my time if it works it works if if doesn't it will be in the dumpster at dealer. So, what warranty? I Don't give a crap. Also I won't take a picture of it.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:29 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Mark, mine went into a dumpster.... Just warning him, not many here can just throw away that kind of money..... That's all....

Old 10-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a small dumpster for junk parts. When it gets full, I cart it off to the metal salvage and get me some pizza money!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:39 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
I have a small dumpster for junk parts. When it gets full, I cart it off to the metal salvage and get me some pizza money!
Nice, I'm pretty sure one of the techs at Ford was going for it

Old 10-02-2015, 11:01 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Mark, mine went into a dumpster.... Just warning him, not many here can just throw away that kind of money..... That's all....
My dad put a red head in his trans am. 3rd time was the charm. We got good at swapping the boxes. Thank goodness for the lift

Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Yes, I'm aware adjusting the screw will void the warranty. I just don't have much faith in Redhead after hearing about other peoples problems with them. If they send a replacement and it has issues too then what's the point? If a slight adjustment has it working properly then I'll be happy. I haven't done anything yet though.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Pretty much my thought.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Update:

Just got back from the shop. Turned out to be a leaky pump not hose. The steering effort is back to where it was when the redhead was first installed but there is still that little bit of play and wander (you can feel a bit of a rattle through the wheel at times) which didn't start until a couple weeks after. I think I'm just going to stick with it for now. It's enough of an improvement over the old worn box. I still think I would have been better off with a new oem box.

Bad news is that I may have a bad front hub.....going to post a new thread on that.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:00 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Update:

Just got back from the shop. Turned out to be a leaky pump not hose. The steering effort is back to where it was when the redhead was first installed but there is still that little bit of play and wander (you can feel a bit of a rattle through the wheel at times) which didn't start until a couple weeks after. I think I'm just going to stick with it for now. It's enough of an improvement over the old worn box. I still think I would have been better off with a new oem box.

Bad news is that I may have a bad front hub.....going to post a new thread on that.
What condition are your tie-rod ends and pitman and drag-link ends in? A little pit of play here and there adds up and will show up in the wheel and in the wonder... Just sayin, maybe you have stated that's all in good condition.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdw1
What condition are your tie-rod ends and pitman and drag-link ends in? A little pit of play here and there adds up and will show up in the wheel and in the wonder... Just sayin, maybe you have stated that's all in good condition.
I actually didn't state that so for the record here's the rundown:
I bought the truck this past April, the po did the ball joints and tie rod ends. Everything else is in good shape. When it's on the lift and you mess with it there's no play in anything that there shouldn't be. Checked by my mechanic and myself.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:05 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Thanks for the update.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:09 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually didn't state that so for the record here's the rundown:
I bought the truck this past April, the po did the ball joints and tie rod ends. Everything else is in good shape. When it's on the lift and you mess with it there's no play in anything that there shouldn't be. Checked by my mechanic and myself.
Ok, I should have just kept my noise out of it.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:23 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdw1
Ok, I should have just kept my noise out of it.
LOL......every bit of help from everyone here is greatly appreciated. If not we wouldn't all be posting here on the forums. It's actually good that you asked what you did because who knows if I might have overlooked something...

Quick Reply: Redhead Steering Group Buy