Sponsored by:

Redhead Steering Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Hey Jon, is that a Chevy Volt in your signature?
Nope, it's my Cruze!

Had it just over two years and 11 months now, and put just shy of 36k on it. Which means 36k less on the Excursion!

I do really like the Volt, but the Cruze has the turbo I've always wanted, albeit small (a 7.3 turbo could probably eat this one for breakfast), and I've been having a lot of fun with it!

If I had to replace it, I'd probably go with a Focus RS, but I'm really not in a hurry to replace it. It does exactly what I want and does it well.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What fluid????

What fluid is supposed to be used in the power steering anyhow? Couldn't find it in the tech specs. I could be mostly blind though........

Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Vwags
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The2003Excursion
What fluid is supposed to be used in the power steering anyhow? Couldn't find it in the tech specs. I could be mostly blind though........
I asked RedHead what they wanted used and I was told any quality power steering fluid. I went with Redline Synthetic because I wanted synthetic. It took 2 quarts but I didn't try to keep it from running out of the removed hoses.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
I'm using Mercon V synthetic...

Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Vwags
Elder User
FYI I just called RedHead to make sure they got my core and inquire as to the timing for the refund and they said they have several ready to credit so the credits will start rolling out soon.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:35 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Vwags
FYI I just called RedHead to make sure they got my core and inquire as to the timing for the refund and they said they have several ready to credit so the credits will start rolling out soon.
I've decided to keep my OEM since is was close to perfect, I had it adjusted about a quarter turn before removal.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Our Ford rigs take Merc V trans fluid, not power steering fluid.

Stewart

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 AM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Redhead Steering Group Buy

Just emailed them a quote request. Found my pump with tons of shaft play while changing the belt the other day. I think that will answer my belt squeal as well.

Any vids you guys know of on how to change, I think I'll do my own if price is right. Border fees and price of the dollar is gonna jack the price 25-40%. But the reviews are good.

This is redhead steering gear out of Auburn WA correct? Thanks guys.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:09 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ATV PRO #11
Just emailed them a quote request. Found my pump with tons of shaft play while changing the belt the other day. I think that will answer my belt squeal as well.

Any vids you guys know of on how to change, I think I'll do my own if price is right. Border fees and price of the dollar is gonna jack the price 25-40%. But the reviews are good.

This is redhead steering gear out of Auburn WA correct? Thanks guys.
Yes, that is the company. It was not hard to do. Impact to remove some parts helps, but you could do it with a big breaker bar too.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:42 PM
cumminpwr11
Senior User
What do Excursion gear boxes go for? My steering is pretty loose so I was thinking about looking into this. Count me in for the deal!

Chris

Old 08-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by cumminpwr11
What do Excursion gear boxes go for? My steering is pretty loose so I was thinking about looking into this. Count me in for the deal!

Chris
Group Purchase deal is already over.

Stewart

Old 08-01-2015, 04:49 PM
cumminpwr11
Senior User
oh well thanks anyway

Chris

Old 08-03-2015, 02:33 PM
swmpbgy1
Senior User
Greetings all....

Was following the install of the gear box in another post and saw that both the red and blue thread locker was used to install the redhead box.

Is the thread locker really necessary??

Swmpbgy1

Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just got my Ex back from the shop. What a difference the redhead box makes! Or maybe my stock box was just that far gone, who knows? That's what 200k miles will do.

I had a squeak somewhere in the steering shaft at low speed or stopped, I though it was a bad bearing somewhere in the shaft. The squeak is gone now. And so is almost all of the play it had. Still a little tiny bit but it's barely noticeable. Also, parking is a breeze now, it just turns smooth all the way until it hits the stops. Before it would just jam up and I'd have to inch the ex forward or backward while turning the wheel to free it up. Overall, I'm very pleased. Still need to do a high speed bump test and see if the Ex jumps around. If it does then I'll add the Helwig rear sway bar.

Thanks again for setting this up Lambert01!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
DidieX, the rear sway bar (if yours has none) is THE best thing I've ever done to a vehicle... it takes away so much of the sway, and hunting around in the lane (especially if the lane is rutted or crowned very much). For the difference in safety and confidence, I think its almost a crime that Ford didn't make 'em mandatory!

Swmpbgy1, you oughta use some kind of threadlocker- having that box come off would ruin your day (and maybe someone elses...)

Quick Reply: Redhead Steering Group Buy