Sponsored by:

cruising RPMS changing in OD

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:36 AM
jmthunderbirdturbo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruising RPMS changing in OD

ok, so now that it runs correctly, i have a small trans issue.

truck specs: 1993 5.0 bronco. E4OD. 200k miles, 4x4.

prior to this issue, i would start the truck, head down the road, and get on the freeway about 6 miles away. after getting on the free way i would cruise to 70, and RPMs would be around 2300. a short time after i set cruise (2-3 miles), the RPMs would drop to around 2000. i have always assumed that the trans had gotten up to temperature, and the torque converter had switched to full lock. this was supported by the fact that in winter months, this RPM drop occured later in my commute.

the issue now, is that it doesn't stay locked. it still drops RPMs at cruise speed, but sometimes it goes back to 2300. its very random, and unrepeatable. might go three days without doing it, might do it 30 times on the way to work.

i have pulled codes related to this issue, and consistently gotten a code for the coast solenoid. is this code as simple as dropping the pan and replacing the solenoid pack?

what i know about automatic transmissions could fit in a shot glass, with room left over for some johnny walker black, so be kind.

thanks in advance!

-J0N

Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Tapping the brake will unlock the torque converter. Do you have LED brake/tail lights? If not perhaps the Brake On Off (BOO) switch is momentarily closing from time to time from bumps, vibration, ect.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:27 PM
jmthunderbirdturbo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm, i suppose thats a possibility. ill look into it.

now, about the 'coast solenoid' code. do i have to just bend over a shell out $150 for a solenoid pack, or is there a chance i can remove mine and clean or repair it? maybe clean an orifice or get lucky and find a broken wire?

-J0N

Old 06-12-2015, 07:10 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Some info to test the impedance of the solenoid pack: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-2wd-4wd.html

Old 06-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jmthunderbirdturbo
the issue now, is that it doesn't stay locked. it still drops RPMs at cruise speed, but sometimes it goes back to 2300. its very random, and unrepeatable. might go three days without doing it, might do it 30 times on the way to work.
There are several things that could cause this. A bad MLPS (Manual Level Position Sensor) is a possibility, and that won't set a code.

A wiring issue could do it, too. A broken wire that makes intermittent contact, or a piece of insulation that wore through so that a wire intermittently shorts to something else, or a failing lockup solenoid, or remotely possible is a bad torque converter.

i have pulled codes related to this issue, and consistently gotten a code for the coast solenoid. is this code as simple as dropping the pan and replacing the solenoid pack?
If it is a bad solenoid, then yes, that's all there is to it. If it is a wiring problem between the PCM and the solenoid, then a new solenoid pack will have the exact same problem.

And the coast solenoid has NOTHING to do with the lockup. Fixing this will not correct your lockup problem.

now, about the 'coast solenoid' code. do i have to just bend over a shell out $150 for a solenoid pack, or is there a chance i can remove mine and clean or repair it?
You can't repair a bad solenoid.

maybe clean an orifice or get lucky and find a broken wire?
A blocked orifice won't set a solenoid code. It is more likely that you have a broken wire than a failed solenoid, though either one is possible.