Safety question PICTURE ADDED ! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Safety question PICTURE ADDED !

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Senior User

OldGrayMare is starting off with a positive reputation.
Safety question PICTURE ADDED !

The previous owner of my 48 F1 replaced the front axle with what appears to be a 53 axle that is a couple of inches longer. When he did this the springs do not sit on the spring pads, so he welded the spring u-bolts to the springs.

I bought an actual 48 F1 axle to put in but my question is this. If I cut the u-bolts loose will the springs still be safe to use? Would the heat from welding and cutting the springs loose weaken the springs ?

1988 to 1948
Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Senior User

pbsdaddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
My personal opinion is, I wouldn't trust them. That said, they may last another 100,000 miles, but why bother? Springs are not all that expensive. Not to the tune of my life anyway. At $150, or so, each, what would you really be saving?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Posting Guru

drptop70ss has a great reputation on FTE.drptop70ss has a great reputation on FTE.drptop70ss has a great reputation on FTE.drptop70ss has a great reputation on FTE.drptop70ss has a great reputation on FTE.
I would expect the heat from the welding to not be good for the springs, I would replace them, even if with good used. If one broke on the highway it would not be a good thing.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Can you post a picture?! This has to go into the Hall of Shame!

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -- Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant futureunderthebridgejim has a brilliant future
I'm not schooled in metallurgy, but I have to give you an A+ for putting safety as priority. I'm a F-1 guy too, and when I bought mine one of the front springs was broken near the bushing. Just shows that they can be brittle. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to behold
bjmayberry2
A picture would help. You may be able to salvage the leafs that weren't welded to the U bolts. You could take your old springs to a spring shop and have them re arched. But like said above new Springs are cheap. Plus you can take advantage when changing your springs and lower your ride if you prefer.
All works in progress
Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Can you post a picture?! This has to go into the Hall of Shame!
Thanks guys, I figure it's better safe than sorry.
I will have to get a picture and post it, and this is by far not the worst thing the previous owner did.

I towed this home behind the Bronco at 30 mph, If I knew then what I know now, never would have done it.

1988 to 1948
Old 06-09-2015, 09:32 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
... like said above new Springs are cheap. ...
F-1 springs made in USA by Eaton used to be $100 each. Sadly not the case any more...

Click the image to open in full size.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -- Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Posting Guru

jimcar-9 has a good reputation on FTE.jimcar-9 has a good reputation on FTE.jimcar-9 has a good reputation on FTE.
I am a mechanical engineer......

If he weldedthe u bolt to the spring......

the leafs that is welded at is scrap.......no return

sorry

1956 F100 272 Y-block
Follow my restoration at: DinnerHill SpeedShop
Jimmy Carlsson
Old 06-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Postmaster

Tedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud ofTedster9 has much to be proud of
Hell, the springs were prolly worn out anyway right? I'm told re-arching aka "cold forming" does work but not for very long. Spend a little on quality springs and bushings, shocks and it will ride (and brake) like a new truck.

1964 F-100 292 V8
2009 XLT Ranger 4.0 V6
Old 06-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a great reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a great reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a great reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a great reputation on FTE.
If the u-bolt is only welded to the main spring, then I agree that spring is junk. But you don't need to spend all that money on a complete set of springs if the rest of the spring pack is good. There are places like BETTS Spring located throughout the US that make springs, there are also at least two springs places in Reno, so there are probably some located near you. Go get a set of new main springs made, put the the rest of your pack on them and be good to go.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to beholdbjmayberry2 is a splendid one to behold
bjmayberry2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Hell, the springs were prolly worn out anyway right? I'm told re-arching aka "cold forming" does work but not for very long. Spend a little on quality springs and bushings, shocks and it will ride (and brake) like a new truck.
My spring guy here in St. Louis says re-arching my springs is almost the same price as new ones. (within $30 @)
All works in progress
Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
My spring guy here in St. Louis says re-arching my springs is almost the same price as new ones. (within $30 @)
Yes....but then you won't have to pay for freight!

A good spring shop can make you a new leaf to replace the welded one and then....re-arc the rest of the stack. A pic might be good for the "what not to do" list!!

Dan
Old 06-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Senior User

As promised pictures of the PO's handy work. Sorry for the picture quality I got a little to close. As you can see the u-bolts are to short and not parallel with each other, nuts welded to axle, bolts welded to springs, spring center pin not over axle. Because the axle is longer the springs don't sit on the pads, u-bolts don't align with holes. The list goes on and on.
I already have the proper axle, new king pins, disk brake conversion, set of 5 on 5.5" wheels and tires. Still need to find some springs and new linkage.
Oh and the front wheels had the center hubs cut out and welded back together with hub caps over them to hide it.

Click the image to open in full size.

1988 to 1948
Old 06-11-2015, 08:01 AM
Senior User

JPMallory is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.JPMallory is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow! That is craptacular.