1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Super Duty Gas engine Computer Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 PM
DouginGa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Super Duty Gas engine Computer Problem?

I have a 2014 Super Duty Gas Truck that I ordered & took delivery in Feb. 2014. It now has 22K miles on it. For several months I've had an irritating problem with the onboard information screen (or whatever its called) When you try to reset the trip meter mileage by pressing the "ok" button sometimes it works., sometimes not, when its not working the arrow buttons to navigate the different screens also do not work. The truck has run fine & this has been just a irritation.

Last Friday I experienced what I'd call a catastrophic computer failure. (not sure its related to the other problems or not). As I was driving a large warning "engine overheating" (not sure of exact words) came on the screen. at the same time the oil pressure, engine coolant temp & Transmission temp gauges all fell all the way to the left, (fuel gauge remained correct). Also all (I believe) the "idiot" lights in the tachometer gauge lit up. The engine remained running fine with no apparent sign of trouble. I immediately drove into a parking lot & shut off the engine, got out, looked under the hood & saw no signs of an overheating(or any other problem). I tried to restart the engine & the same warning lights came on, same gauges stayed to the left & all "idiot" lights came on but the engine would not turnover & attempt to start.

I had the truck towed to my local dealership, (I've recently moved so its not the one I purchased it from but had just had it serviced there 3 days prior). I attempted to restart several times while waiting on AAA with the same no start results.

The dealership is now telling me they can't find anything wrong & now it starts/runs fine, but have retrieved what they call some "communication" codes from the computer. They say the codes provide them no solution to the problem & they tell me they have contacted Ford but haven't heard anything from them & can't or won't tell me when they will get any answer??? Oh, I'm welcome to just come get the truck & take my chances when it will break down again.

Anybody have a clue what may be going on???

Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Sorry to hear of the malfunction. This makes me miss the days of no computers! I hope you will post what the problem is.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DouginGa
...The dealership is now telling me they can't find anything wrong & now it starts/runs fine, but have retrieved what they call some "communication" codes from the computer. They say the codes provide them no solution to the problem & they tell me they have contacted Ford but haven't heard anything from them & can't or won't tell me when they will get any answer??? Oh, I'm welcome to just come get the truck & take my chances when it will break down again...
Welcome to the forum, DouginGa. It sounds like you're having a frustrating experience; I'd like to see what I can do to help. Is your truck still at the dealership now or have you picked it up? Let me know and I'll get to work on some options for you.

Crystal

Old 06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Computer Problem or Network Issuse

Sounds like my dealer no light no problem.
Get it on video to show them.

To me it sounds like a network failure. Could be very wrong.

See what crystal can do and try another dealer.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:52 AM
DouginGa
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, DouginGa. It sounds like you're having a frustrating experience; I'd like to see what I can do to help. Is your truck still at the dealership now or have you picked it up? Let me know and I'll get to work on some options for you.

Crystal
Thanks for your reply & offer Crystal, the truck is still at the dealership, yesterday I talked to them & they told me the tech support from Ford had provided no help/solution. They were able to get it "to go crazy" ( their words) while it was in the shop & while they had it hooked to their diagnostic computer.

They said they believe the problem is the "clock spring" and have ordered the part, its supposed to be received & installed today.

I'm hoping this will resolve the problem. I will post an update when I find out.

The dealership is Covington Ford in Covington,Ga.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:54 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good luck.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM
DouginGa
New User
I wished i'd thought to video it

Originally Posted by donovan
Sounds like my dealer no light no problem.
Get it on video to show them.

To me it sounds like a network failure. Could be very wrong.

See what crystal can do and try another dealer.
I do have a video of the irritating problem I described in my original post & have shown it to them. Unfortunately in the confusion during the "catastrophic meltdown" I didn't think to video it.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DouginGa
...I'm hoping this will resolve the problem. I will post an update when I find out...
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, DouginGa; it sounds like things are headed in the right direction. If you need me to step in and assist, just say the word.

Crystal

Old 06-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Bandguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had the same issue with my 2014 250 6.2. Can you give me any details on the clock spring? I have no idea what that is. Has the issue been resolved?

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:43 AM
DouginGa
New User
Originally Posted by Bandguy
I just had the same issue with my 2014 250 6.2. Can you give me any details on the clock spring? I have no idea what that is. Has the issue been resolved?

Thanks.
My problem as yet is not resolved, the dealer got the clock spring part last Wednesday, when they went to install it said they found another module was "burnt up" (their words), didn't get the specific name of the module. They ordered it & said it did not come in Thursday, then said it did not come in on Friday they hope it will come on Monday, I'll update next week, I'm hoping I'll not be without my truck another week??

Maybe someone else can give a description of the clock springs purpose I do know it is located in the steering column.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Bandguy
Senior User
Could you ask what module is burned up? My dealership is at a loss right now.

Thanks, Doug.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 AM
DouginGa
New User
Originally Posted by Bandguy
Could you ask what module is burned up? My dealership is at a loss right now.

Thanks, Doug.
Sure, hopefully i'll get the truck back Monday, if not i'll ask, my understanding is that it must be located near or at least electrically attached to the clock spring as I understood them to say they visually saw the module was "burnt up". I'm just going on the info that has been relayed to me by the service advisor, hopefully it will be more clear on Monday what the problem was.

Also, when they first told me the Ford technical people were no help & had never heard of another problem like mine, I told them with all the trucks on the road it was hard for me to believe that mine was the only one to ever have this issue. Sounds like mines not the only one....

Old 06-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Bandguy
Senior User
Certainly is not just your truck. Too bad we have to do the investigative work for the dealers but thank goodness this is here for us to assist each other. Thanks for asking for me.

Hector

Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Little update Doug: a regional customer service manager is going to Get involved with my problem. My local dealer said they could not duplicate the problem and there are no codes so suggested I pick up the truck. Once I told them I had a case number they said that was actually a good thing and they would be waiting for the contact.

My dealer has been good to deal with but without a code, not much was going to happen.

I hope you have found a resolution and are back on the road.

Hector

Old 06-16-2015, 07:06 AM
DouginGa
New User
Hector,

I'm supposed to pick my truck up today, the part (module) came in yesterday & they were installing it & said they would have to manually load in data? as the data could not be retrieved/stored from the "fried" module. They are supposed to have it ready for me today?? Hopefully it will be fixed & I'll find out the specific parts they replaced & post that info.

Doug

Quick Reply: 2014 Super Duty Gas engine Computer Problem?