Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
The few times I've used a truck hose, those high volume pumps seem to be either built or plumbed differently than those for the "cars" because the truck fill hoses I've used have not induced any air (i.e. foam) in the diesel as it fills the tank. This is yet another benefit... high fill with less foam to deal with on top of the liquid level while filling the tank.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fill on my 02 will accept the bigger truck nozzles. I did the h&h mod years ago but never had to open up the fill tube. Wonder if these were made in different sizes.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
guitarpicr: Maybe because my 7.3 PSD is a van and not many vans came with diesel engines. And they use whatever they have lying around when they put a diesel engine in a van (like a steel van gasoline fuel tank).

But my '02 fill pipe had a restrictor just like a gasoline fill pipe. Apparently, it was there to assure that when I mistakenly put gas in my tank, it is only unleaded gas...

If I would have removed that restrictor from a gasser, I would have violated an emissions law. Heck, I live in California so I probably have already violated an emissions law, because I am now capable of fueling my diesel with leaded gasoline...

Old 06-09-2015, 03:04 PM
F250_
Hotshot
My '02 fill tube accepts the larger pump nozzles, too, and also without having been modified at all. It's close, but they do fit.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I figured it was fuel injection hose but had to ask.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done.

Done.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Looks good to me buddy. Congratulations!

Edit: Quick question, did you push the tubing into the foot past the little red check valve in that nodule on the side of the pickup foot? I assume that the check valve is there to allow the pump to suck fuel out the side of pickup foot if the pickup foot screen gets clogged. I pushed the tubing past the check valve because I did not replace the screen in the pickup foot, preferring instead to have any debris flow all the way to the Racor to be caught there. And I figured that if I left the check valve functional, it would start sucking air as soon as the fuel level in the tank dropped below the check valve.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
My '02 fill tube accepts the larger pump nozzles, too, and also without having been modified at all. It's close, but they do fit.

same here on my 02

Old 06-11-2015, 05:14 AM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Looks good to me buddy. Congratulations!

Edit: Quick question, did you push the tubing into the foot past the little red check valve in that nodule on the side of the pickup foot? I assume that the check valve is there to allow the pump to suck fuel out the side of pickup foot if the pickup foot screen gets clogged. I pushed the tubing past the check valve because I did not replace the screen in the pickup foot, preferring instead to have any debris flow all the way to the Racor to be caught there. And I figured that if I left the check valve functional, it would start sucking air as soon as the fuel level in the tank dropped below the check valve.
I did go past it also.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:18 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I tried the approach of leaving out the screen as well for the same reasoning.

HOWEVER...

The down side to NOT reinstalling the pickup foot screen is that when (or if) you get large trash pieces in the tank, the pieces can accumulate and plug at the bend on the tubing coming out of the top of the tank. I have first hand experience with that very thing right now in my Excursion. Blowing the line out backwards works for a while, but the stuff gets picked up again over time.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Pete: Understood. Placing the foot firmly on the bottom of the tank was the way I thought could get around that because the foot has little feet with gaps between and I figured that it wouldn't likely be totally obscured by a wrapped large piece of trash.

But design, redesign, and even life are all about compromises. At least that is my experience in my life. Anyway that's what I tell my wife when I thank her for compromising to marry me... daily...

Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Pete: Understood. Placing the foot firmly on the bottom of the tank was the way I thought could get around that because the foot has little feet with gaps between and I figured that it wouldn't likely be totally obscured by a wrapped large piece of trash.
I had thought about that as well, but I honestly don't recall whether or not I got the foot in my tank all the way down. It's not a bad compromise.

But design, redesign, and even life are all about compromises. At least that is my experience in my life. Anyway that's what I tell my wife when I thank her for compromising to marry me... daily...
You and I are in the same boat, brother. The other day when I was buying some flowers for my wife, I missed a great opportunity while in the line at the store paying... the cashier asked if I was celebrating something special, and I just said "No". After leaving the store, though, I realized what I should have said was "Yes, I am celebrating the fact that my wife has not changed her mind after almost 29 years!"

Old 06-12-2015, 08:36 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
When I did my mod five years ago I never gave a thought to replacing the foot. It was in good condition but now I am having second thoughts.
At least I never let my tank get below 1/4 no matter what vehicle I am driving.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
I performed the hutch mod recently and installed a new pick up foot and the screen. Although, the metal tubing extended about 1/2" short of the screen and nearly to the bottom of the tank. I wanted to be able to pick up every last bit of fuel if the need ever presented itself.

My tank was spotless on the inside other than the broken up old pick up foot. I am not too concerned about debris getting into the tank, past the screen and then through the tube. Even if it did, there is no way it is getting past the Racor PS-120 screen mounted to the frame.

This mod and the harpoon allows me to get 75 gallons of fuel (45 gallon aux tank in bed) which greatly increases the range and ability to stop when we want instead of when we need to pulling the travel trailer.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Will104 and for others who have that pesky unleaded gasoline restrictor in your diesel fill pipes: The Milwaukee hole saw size is 41mm or 1 5/8" I used the tooth model first and then used the grit/tooth model to deburr and then followed with a small cylinder/drum sandpaper holder from H.F.

Quick Reply: Hutch Mod