1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Think I made a BIG mistake with this Fiberglass, any "fiberglass guys" that can help???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:03 AM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Think I made a BIG mistake with this Fiberglass, any "fiberglass guys" that can help???

First of all, this is a topper for my '05 F150. While not the right generation, I use this truck to experiment for stuff with my 56 "kind of" making it relevant.

For this deal I am experimenting with the DIY spray in liner on the underside of the fiberglass.

The issue:

I bought this topper for $150.00. It had been sitting on the ground and was dirty and molding/mildew. I flipped it upside down, hit it with some water, and some blue wolf degreaser. Scrubbed it with a brush and rinsed it out.

It looked great, like new! As it started to dry, it started leaching out in places. First a light tan, then these darker spots. I thought it was just water that had gotten behind some of the loose strands. I put a heater under it for TWO days, and it still continued to have moist patches, now I have had a fan under it as well for FOUR days. 6 Days of total dry time. The moisture level has went down but I am left with these "tacky/sticky" brown spots.

What are they? is it resin from the glass, something leaching out of the mdf or plywood use in the topper?

How do I clean it off? Think it is safe to spray with the liner now?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:50 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
No idea what it is, but if it is just cosmetic it wont matter. If it is moisture it has to be gone before spraying. You could try some alcohol on the spots which will absorb moisture and then evaporate.
Maybe something in the degreaser reacting with the fiberglass?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Did the topper used to have a glued-in headliner?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:11 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
No liner, I think it is resin that wasn't sealed with the gel-coat very good. That is the reason I wanted to add the bedliner was to seal it, and give it a uniform appearance.

No Liner.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I can't imagine there being uncured resin on something more than a couple years old, and still tacky. Have you tried something that kills mold/mildew?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:43 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Yeah, I used a degreaser that specified mildew/mold.

The crap thing of it, was the ceiling didn't have any mildew to start with, just around the bottom. I just wanted to give it a good scrubbing before I painted it with the liner.

This thing is like 10 years old.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:54 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
It looks like growing spores to me, flip it back over and wash it with a very strong bleach solution and let that soak for a while before rinsing and allowing to dry. That is what I would try if it was mine.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
I don't think it is spores, there weren't any in the top in the beginning, and they literally popped up in a matter of hours. They are also tacky, reminds me of pine sap!

Old 06-07-2015, 01:58 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Just smells like stale urine.......

Old 06-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
First of all, did you cut it 3 parts water to 1 part degreaser like it says for fiberglass?

It looks like the degreaser has had a chemical reaction with the fiberglass mat or resin. If you used it full strength, it may have been too strong and started to deteriorate the bond within the fiberglass.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:33 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Yes it was reduced, the more I look, the more I think it is something below the fiberglass.

If you notice, it is only on the area with the depression from the plywood, cardboard, mdf sheet.......

Old 06-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by clintonvillian
Yes it was reduced, the more I look, the more I think it is something below the fiberglass.

If you notice, it is only on the area with the depression from the plywood, cardboard, mdf sheet.......
Hard to tell from the pics, but if that's what you're seeing, it can probably be covered by the liner with no further problems.

Why not try spraying a small area to see what it does? Or does the liner need to be mixed all at once?

Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Best idea yet, Im gonna pick up some acetone tomorrow and scrub them. Once dry I'll brush on some liner in a couple spots and see how well it bonds.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Acetone is a seriously strong solvent, I would stick with alcohol. Hopefully that acetone doesnt melt the fiberglass!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:40 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Acetone is a seriously strong solvent, I would stick with alcohol. Hopefully that acetone doesnt melt the fiberglass!
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't try acetone on fiberglass.

Quick Reply: Think I made a BIG mistake with this Fiberglass, any "fiberglass guys" that can help???