Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should I run my true duals???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:41 PM
patrickj20
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How should I run my true duals???

Recently I've picked up some used Flowtech headers for the truck, along with two Flowmaster Series 40 muffler for pretty damn cheap and so I'm preparing to finally finish out the project (well with the exhaust I mean.) Although I'm not sure what I should do about the O2 sensor(s). Will I need an individual O2 sensor for each side of the exhaust or will tying it together with an H-pipe solve that? Or do I only need one O2 sensor? Along with that, if I put the H-pipe in, would the O2 sensor have to be before the H-pipe?

I was also curious how you guys ran your true duals? I was thinking of running the pipes side by side down the passenger side with the mufflers running wide end up. Then I'm not sure how I should end them... I'm not really digging the out the tailgate (that's more pipe, and that's more money right? ) and samething with an axle dump.. Should I run both out the passenger side or one on each side or just have it all dump?!

If you guys have any advice on how to put these long tube headers on as well, that would be greatly appreciated!

Any pictures you guys have of your true duals I'd love to see. All the pictures are very helpful! Thanks for any input!

Old 06-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
When it comes to getting the longtube done the best thing you can do before you start is to soak the manifold bolts in a penetrate of your choice and let it soak as long and as good as you can (i let mine soak for a solid week and all the bolts came out like butter) Then get the engine up to temp shut it down and start removing bolts out of the engine for them and hope for the best. Now as for installing them getting the driver side on is the easy part, the passenger side one with the flowtechs is really tight and while I got it in with the help of dad on my truck and allot of just wiggling and moving tell it fell into place it really sucked getting it in there and get the bolts in. Mind you I never took out the fender well to try it from there but it never occurred to me at that time to pull it.
Once you got that sorted out its just routing the pipes either under or over the cross-member putting on the mufflers and running everything down the passenger side.
Don't have tailpipes on mine, I just have two shorty glass-packs that end under the bed but i plan to get the last bit of tailpipe done by a local shop when money isn't as tight.
Hope that helps and don't be shy to shoot me any questions.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Oh I forgot to mention For the 02 sensor just weld it into one pipe and leave it alone from there, or if you want an H pipe for sure weld the bung in the H pipe so the 02 sensor is happier. Its fine with one bank of cylinders but having all the exhaust being read by it is not a bad thing either.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:40 PM
patrickj20
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Shadow944795
When it comes to getting the longtube done the best thing you can do before you start is to soak the manifold bolts in a penetrate of your choice and let it soak as long and as good as you can (i let mine soak for a solid week and all the bolts came out like butter) Then get the engine up to temp shut it down and start removing bolts out of the engine for them and hope for the best. Now as for installing them getting the driver side on is the easy part, the passenger side one with the flowtechs is really tight and while I got it in with the help of dad on my truck and allot of just wiggling and moving tell it fell into place it really sucked getting it in there and get the bolts in. Mind you I never took out the fender well to try it from there but it never occurred to me at that time to pull it.
Once you got that sorted out its just routing the pipes either under or over the cross-member putting on the mufflers and running everything down the passenger side.
Don't have tailpipes on mine, I just have two shorty glass-packs that end under the bed but i plan to get the last bit of tailpipe done by a local shop when money isn't as tight.
Hope that helps and don't be shy to shoot me any questions.
Thank you for the very detailed response! I was curious whether getting the engine to temp would help or not. It actually seems most people have pretty good luck in removing those bolts/studs. I was planning on removing the fender wells, as I mentioned I got the headers used but they had the original directions and after glancing at it I never actually saw them mention removing the fender wells, though I imagine it's a lot easier without them. They did mention removing the starter, did you wind up having to do that or did they clear?

Also were you able to route both pipes through the crossmember, it looks awful tight for two 2.5" pipes?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:31 AM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have headers, but this will give you a few ideas.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Sorry for the late response but to answer your questions I didn't to pull the started nor did i wrap it and so far a year and a half later the starter is okay and it did not make it hard to instal the headers (although I am sure if I ever have to replace it I am screwed in terms of removing it) and as for the pipes for the cross members you can run both over-top i think on both sides with no issues but the lazy idiots at the shop I took it to ran the drivers side pipe on the underside and the passenger side over making it a mess should I ever remove the cross-member for something and just looking weird to me. I can take some picks of my current setup and post them up if you would like.