6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

30-40 Percent load at idle. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:53 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30-40 Percent load at idle. Is this normal?

Haven't seen many threads on this topic. But what is a "normal" number people see on their load factor? Mine was around 25-30 a few weeks ago but I noticed it is increasing to around 30-40 once I'm in gear, in park it's fine. My acceleration is also getting a bit sluggish too especially going up hills and my throttle isn't responding all the way, my turbo boost is normal though and I don't think there is any VGT stiction. I'm thinking either a fuel filter or a MAF sensor to start with. Fuel filters have been in exactly 10 months. Can a dirty fuel filter, air filter, or MAF sensor affect engine load at idle and how fast it accelerates? I feel like I'm pulling a trailer and with it being more sluggish, my transmission is shifting harder as well.

Thanks

Old 06-05-2015, 07:36 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If your in doubt of the filters performance, change it... period. Isn't worth messing around with a $15k engine for a cheap, under $50 filter. I change oil filters about every 3k and oil every 6k or so. The fuel filter gets it every other oil change.

I remember seeing around the same numbers for LD, somewhere around 30-40.

Air filter is a 100K filter, but changing it shouldn't be a major decision, early is better.

As for slow response, what are some of your live data saying? ICP, IPR, FICM voltage and main power?
Clean the MAF and EBP sensors, easy to do and may be the cause of lagging power.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:08 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by WatsonR
If your in doubt of the filters performance, change it... period. Isn't worth messing around with a $15k engine for a cheap, under $50 filter. I change oil filters about every 3k and oil every 6k or so. The fuel filter gets it every other oil change.

I remember seeing around the same numbers for LD, somewhere around 30-40.

Air filter is a 100K filter, but changing it shouldn't be a major decision, early is better.

As for slow response, what are some of your live data saying? ICP, IPR, FICM voltage and main power?
Clean the MAF and EBP sensors, easy to do and may be the cause of lagging power.
My oil/oil filter are changed at same time every 5k. Fuel filters are supposed to be every 10k but I've changed them sooner. They have been in 10 months now. As for the EBP sensor, where is it? Is it easy to get to? And the MAF sensor, can I clean with carb/brake cleaner? I was told NEVER to do that.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:47 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
I'm on my cell so I can't see if you have a signature or not, what year truck?

EBP sensor 03-04 is near the thermostat, right side and the bracket is bolted to the t-stat housing. 05 and up is under the air filter area and comes out of the manifold, right side. Clean it with string trimmer line, the tube that is.

MAF is on the passenger side mounted to the fire wall near the A/C stuff and the tube goes down toward the lower part of the left side.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:10 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by WatsonR
I'm on my cell so I can't see if you have a signature or not, what year truck?

EBP sensor 03-04 is near the thermostat, right side and the bracket is bolted to the t-stat housing. 05 and up is under the air filter area and comes out of the manifold, right side. Clean it with string trimmer line, the tube that is.

MAF is on the passenger side mounted to the fire wall near the A/C stuff and the tube goes down toward the lower part of the left side.
I don't have a signature. And I have a 2004. I thought the MAF was right behind the air filter? can you post pix if possible? As for EBP sensor, is it easy to reach, I'd rather not tear into the truck and remove a lot of stuff.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Of course engine load would be higher in drive versus park...

Josh

Old 06-06-2015, 04:32 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Ok so my throttle response is worse by the day. I pulled the intake vacuum hose off the nipple it was on and found it torn and chafed where it was clamped on. I drove to autozone (another vehicle) and of course they wouldn't have the size ford uses so I got one the next size bigger. It was way too big so I'm gonna down size tomorrow. There was also some gooey stuff down in there which could have clogged and caused a false reading. I saw a YouTube video about it and my truck is showing the same symptoms.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:35 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Fix the hose and clean the sensor, may give you some back.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:43 PM
obiwan kenobi
Mountain Pass
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by joejackF250
Ok so my throttle response is worse by the day. I pulled the intake vacuum hose off the nipple it was on and found it torn and chafed where it was clamped on. I drove to autozone (another vehicle) and of course they wouldn't have the size ford uses so I got one the next size bigger. It was way too big so I'm gonna down size tomorrow. There was also some gooey stuff down in there which could have clogged and caused a false reading. I saw a YouTube video about it and my truck is showing the same symptoms.
Are you talking about the MAP sensor hose?

If so it is 1/4" but 7/32" works too.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:04 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
That's the hose I'm talking about. I was looking up EBP videos on YouTube and came across this

Mine wasn't completely blocked but there was some stickiness. I'm gonna get back on it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm gonna change fuel filters as well.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Just another thought on the subject. Whenever the subject of the value for %load comes up, one of our Techs here (I forget who) has repeatedly pointed out that the value displayed only exists so the PCM can complete other calculations and shouldn't be considered an accurate measure of load. That is to say it's the product of one operation embedded in a calculation.

In other words it may be of some limited use in very particular circumstances but should be considered a relative value and the actual number should be taken with a large grain of salt. It ain't right, but it serves it's purpose.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gine-load.html
Here you go guys , Eric Cheezit said it

Old 06-07-2015, 02:21 PM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Alls well that ends well. I changed fuel filters and cleaned the MAP sensor and replaced hose. Drove it around, and very powerful. It was even responsive when I put it to the floor while turning onto the main road!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 AM
joejackF250
Mountain Pass
Ok everyone it is sluggish again. Can't seem to figure it out. Only thing I can think of is it can use new tranny fluid/filter or I have low compression/bad injectors. My turbo veins aren't sticking as I'm watching my VGT% and all seems normal with that. Same with FICM, all is normal. I couldn't really get to the EBP sensor. I need some pointers on that as well as other things I haven't looked at.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:44 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by joejackF250
Ok everyone it is sluggish again. Can't seem to figure it out. Only thing I can think of is it can use new tranny fluid/filter or I have low compression/bad injectors. My turbo veins aren't sticking as I'm watching my VGT% and all seems normal with that. Same with FICM, all is normal. I couldn't really get to the EBP sensor. I need some pointers on that as well as other things I haven't looked at.
Check the MAP hose again. If the intake is gooey it could stop up that small hole pretty fast. I don't remember if you checked your EGR or if you have one. Remember that VGT% is commanded not actual. AFA the EBP sensor goes, you have to take some stuff out to make it easier on yourself; intake takes 2 minutes or less.

Quick Reply: 30-40 Percent load at idle. Is this normal?