Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil & seafoam questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:07 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil & seafoam questions

Okay so I have put a little under 750 miles on the F350 with seafoam in the oil from when the oil was new. I get mixed reviews about seafoam most saying its fine to run a whole oil cycle with it in there and some saying only the last couple hundred miles as it can cause problems and sometimes dislodge enough gunk to stop up the oil pickup filter? Give me some feedback. The truck seems to be running perfect after this tune up except the exhaust leak which I still need to figure out manifolds or shorties. Looking like Shorties.

Figure its time to change the oil since it has served its purpose and the rear main seal has subsided to almost not leaking from what I can tell. Will powerwash the underside sometime soon and see if it secretes any more oil from between the tranny and engine. Anyone have any suggestions on a good degreaser for cleaning the suspension, frame, and bottom of the engine compartment? Want to clean up all the old dirt/oil that has built up on those I beams. It does have the underside coating but its starting to flake off anyways after close to 20 years.

Crazy question then and I am sure I will have haters but can I re-use that oil in the bronco I just bought? Here me out. Only been in the truck maybe 2 months and had 750 miles put on it. The oil still looks darn good for running that many miles and the bronco desperately needs an oil change as its black and I do not know when it was changed by PO. I am a cheap *** and I know its only $20 in conventional oil but I would want to run some seafoam through that engine anyways not for leaks (since it seems to have none which is surprising, only a coolant leak from the heater core being replaced this weekend). It is a highmileage mystery machine though. And from what I can tell the PO did -0- preventative maintenance as it was his son's HS truck and they lived 2 blocks from my old HS......

I am replacing the F350 oil with Mobil One synthetic. Isn't there a kit I can buy to test the oil after so many miles to see if its still good? Wondering how far I can push the synthetic in this truck.

Let's hear some opinions! or you can tell me how much of a dummy I am.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
My .02. Don't use Mobil 1, overrated. Try Valvoline MaxLife syn blend or full syntheric, great oil and the conditioners for old engines help with possible worn seals.

And I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I would NEVER reuse oil. Especially from another engine, you never know what microscopic contamination might be there.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:17 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by GuitarJesus
My .02. Don't use Mobil 1, overrated. Try Valvoline MaxLife syn blend or full syntheric, great oil and the conditioners for old engines help with possible worn seals.

And I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I would NEVER reuse oil. Especially from another engine, you never know what microscopic contamination might be there.
Mobil 1 was on sale for $13 after rebate for 5 qts. I could not resist so I picked up 2 of them. Noticed on amazon it had shot up to $37 before rebate for 5qts after I bought it. So probably won't be buying more... I usually do use the Valvoline Maxlife syn blend (the red bottle stuff, can't beat it at $18 shipped on amazon for 5 qts) but was going to try the mobil 1. I take it you ran the mobil 1 awhile or just did research and found the valvoline had more additives?

Well if I am not going to re-use the oil how do you feel about a full 3K cycle on the engine with that oil I have in it with seafoam. The oil looks fine truck is running great again. Thinking of just running it out.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:25 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordf350man
Mobil 1 was on sale for $13 after rebate for 5 qts. I could not resist so I picked up 2 of them. Noticed on amazon it had shot up to $37 before rebate for 5qts after I bought it. So probably won't be buying more... I usually do use the Valvoline Maxlife syn blend (the red bottle stuff, can't beat it at $18 shipped on amazon for 5 qts) but was going to try the mobil 1. I take it you ran the mobil 1 awhile or just did research and found the valvoline had more additives?

Well if I am not going to re-use the oil how do you feel about a full 3K cycle on the engine with that oil I have in it with seafoam. The oil looks fine truck is running great again. Thinking of just running it out.
I ran it for years. Never again. However with SeaFoam, I've only done it in the gas tank and in the vacuum line. Never tried it in the crankcase. I guess on newer engines I wouldn't see that big of a deal. But if your engine is more than 20 years old and hasn't ever been rebuilt or had major seals replaced, I would be leery about putting something in the crankcase that can thin up the oil, especially something that is as thin as water.

if you were just doing a flush, I would think that's perfectly OK. But I would not do a full oil change interval with something that lowers the viscosity. I use the mobile app, so I couldn't see what engine you are running in your signature, but if it is a 460, the recommended oil is 5w20, and I couldn't think of going any sooner than that for the whole oil change cycle

Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
running a 351. So your thinking I should pull it out asap as I have already ran quite a few miles on it with it in the crankcase? Been meaning too just been lazy but if you think it could be harmful then yes I will change oil tomorrow.

never rebuilt. 94 so pushing 21 years on the road it does only have 99K on it though.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:36 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordf350man
running a 351. So your thinking I should pull it out asap as I have already ran quite a few miles on it with it in the crankcase? Been meaning too just been lazy but if you think it could be harmful then yes I will change oil tomorrow.

never rebuilt. 94 so pushing 21 years on the road it does only have 99K on it though.
that's very low mileage for that vintage. It's hard to say for me because the tires were changed to larger tires early in my trucks life, but I'm pushing close to 300,000 miles.
but yes, I would just do the oil change. I've never heard from an expert on the matter, but I would think that an engine that is over 20 years old with very low miles, would be in great mechanical condition, but the seals would most likely need to be changed because they dry out over time, sometimes not being in use is worse for an engine then many miles.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Appreciate it man. Will change oil tomorrow when I am working on the other parts of the list I have the parts for. No reason to take a chance and I can re-use the oil filter since it doesn't have much use on it.

And yes these fords were meant to be ran. My dad had a couple friends with ford OBSs with small blocks in them that are daily drivers and one is pushing 250K the other way over 300K and still going strong with regular fluids and tune ups on occasion. The one with 250K has never had a oil leak... ever.... which is amazing to me. I started working from home so I can afford the gas and have been using the 350 as my DD since I only run to starbucks, restuarants, and the grocery store. The poor Camry has been neglected sitting in the garage.

My dad drove this as a DD for the first few years of its life before buying a diesel van for work. It then sat in the driveway and was only used on occasion for towing, moving, road trips, etc. It fell out of disrepair and was never running great (evidenced by my dad having to replace something each year to get it to pass inspection). When I got it last year it was in poor shape, running rich, leaking oil, tranny, and coolant. Had no throttle response, churned hard to get up to speed, tires were dry rotted, etc. Half the top end is new now, all new hoses (including vacuum), all new fluids, new deeper transmission pan with a drain bolt, new tires, new wheels, new filters, new flowmaster muffler, front end done by dallas frame and alignment. Jeez I am truly hoping once these shorties go on (need to delete air injection system first) that the engine is up to snuff and I can finally move onto the body. I will be happy when that day comes. Got some cool plans on making her look pretty clean.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I would NOT run seafood in the oil for more than 250 miles.

Also, I would NOT reuse engine oil. If you are worried about saving a $20 oil change just think how much a replacement engine is

Old 06-06-2015, 04:19 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad

Also, I would NOT reuse engine oil. If you are worried about saving a $20 oil change just think how much a replacement engine is
What Brad said. Also, I talked to my dad about it, and if you have any sort of oil useage in that motor (leaks, or blowby, burning oil), seafoam will only exacerbate the problem.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
been working some now and as far as seafoam goes I don't see it causing much trouble for a short duration in the crank case, I wouldn't go an entire 5k with it in in fact based on what I have read and heard and experienced by using the product I would say max I would go is 500 miles tops as for reuseing oil DON'T is saving $20 WORTH a $5K (or more) engine rebuild/replacement?? if so then its your call, if you want to keep your engine as long as possible then heed our warnings...

As another post stated there is possibly contaminants in the oil that are brken up (even the possibility of metal shavings) and putting that in an engine is a bad idea....

Old 06-06-2015, 11:06 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Point taken. Oil is changed. Fingers crossed nothing bad happened to the engine. Now heater core and radiator flush tomorrow on an unrelated matter. She also got new shoes today.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:00 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad

I wouldn't run it at all, had an engine that went high miles on last oil change, put new in, ran it for 900 added seafoam and it blew up 10 miles later, running along seemed down on power went clunk and locked up threw a rod which lodged up against the exhaust manifold and this was on the so called indestructible gm 3800 v6

Now I get to have more loans in college for a new vehicle. ..yippie

Old 06-07-2015, 01:05 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blue924.9
I wouldn't run it at all, had an engine that went high miles on last oil change, put new in, ran it for 900 added seafoam and it blew up 10 miles later, running along seemed down on power went clunk and locked up threw a rod which lodged up against the exhaust manifold and this was on the so called indestructible gm 3800 v6

Now I get to have more loans in college for a new vehicle. ..yippie
with such a short mileage span, I don't think you can attribute that to seafoam. I think you most likely had a problem with your motor that was undetected until then

Old 06-07-2015, 01:12 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GuitarJesus
with such a short mileage span, I don't think you can attribute that to seafoam. I think you most likely had a problem with your motor that was undetected until then
Nope seafoam turned the oil to crap, good oil when I took a little out to add seafoam, after I added seafoam oil was sticky, almost like a glue rather than an oil, rub some on your fingers and rub them together and your fingers literally stick together. Waiting for an oil test to get back to confirm

Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by blue924.9
Nope seafoam turned the oil to crap, good oil when I took a little out to add seafoam, after I added seafoam oil was sticky, almost like a glue rather than an oil, rub some on your fingers and rub them together and your fingers literally stick together. Waiting for an oil test to get back to confirm
Interesting........

Quick Reply: Oil & seafoam questions