1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Utility Bed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:48 AM
SuperDutyFirefighter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Utility Bed

Hello fellow Blue Oval worshippers. I've come to you in need of some help/answers. After recently spending some time under my truck in the driveway, some very nasty holes in the floor of my bed have come to my attention. Not to mention I've noticed two bed supports have all but rotted away.

Money is pretty tight, and in my neck of the woods (north jersey), short boxes fetch a hefty bounty. After doing some searching on the interweb, I've decided to go with a utility body. Simply because they're cheaper around here because nobody wants them, and you get built in locking storage + bed space.

After fooling around on google & bing, I've found this utility bed (pics attached) on other truck forums, and have since become completely obsessed with it (I have no interest in the slide in camper). All I know from reading is this particular truck is from California. Any information on this specific bed (manufacturer) or a similar unit will be appreciated.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your a fireman in NJ as am I, Did you try P&L in Farmingdale, they make the brush truck bodies, looks just like that, I bought an ambulance from the first aid squad, they got a new one so I made an offer on a 97 with 40,000 miles on it. 236 hours. Of course rust free cause it was in the garage, with a little bit of work it will be my mobile diesel repair truck. I got all the light bars, arrow stick, sirens and strobes, light tower, generator, they left everything on it but the name, they peeled all the stickers off it. It has air rear suspension, auto tire chains. more storage then I could possibly use, but since im a member of the fire co. They didn't refuse my lowball offer. It's got a 400 watt alternator and 4 batteries,. Try P&L

Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 AM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
There are so many manufacturers and so many options available, pinning down a specific manufacturer and model would be difficult.

That one could be a Trademaster, Stahl, Harbor, Knapheide, Custom, Reading, or a Royal.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:40 AM
auburngrad
Senior User
That will look good and would be a nice off road rig. I am considering finding a utility bed like that and having turned into a trailer like others have done.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:36 PM
SuperDutyFirefighter
New User
Thanks for the help guys. It's given me plenty to go on.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:48 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Too many companies as mentioned already, my drivers side bed started with bubbles this winter and they are slowly getting a little bigger. I'd like to make a custom flat bed that has hydraulic dumping and retains the factory bed sides that just lift off for when I need the bed and go back on when I want it to look stock. If not I'm gonna do the same as you get a nice low profile utility bed with lockable storage and say enough to bed rot!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:18 PM
SuperDutyFirefighter
New User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Too many companies as mentioned already, my drivers side bed started with bubbles this winter and they are slowly getting a little bigger. I'd like to make a custom flat bed that has hydraulic dumping and retains the factory bed sides that just lift off for when I need the bed and go back on when I want it to look stock. If not I'm gonna do the same as you get a nice low profile utility bed with lockable storage and say enough to bed rot!
I was planning on going with a flatbed for the longest while, but then I got over thinking about how I'm gonna have to strap or chain down my load every single time. I love the look of a flatbed, especially with storage boxes under the bed. But I live in the suburbs, am a volunteer firefighter, and own a towing & recovery business. A flatbed just isn't exactly practical for me.

I think its an awesome idea to have the factory bedsides on a flatbed though. I think it'll be way cooler and much more original than putting racks in the stake pockets. Be careful when looking at hydraulic dump units. Alot of the ones designed for pickups aren't meant for much more than dirt or mulch. If you want a real heavy duty unit, look for someone parting out a mason dump, or find one already pulled from such a vehicle. Be sure to get the full assembly from PTO to brackets & hardware. individual pieces get expensive.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:12 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Dump feature really isn't a biggie but if I go custom flatbed I know I'll use the truck instead of my 16ft utility trailer so not having to shovel would be amazing