Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhuast Manifold Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:40 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exhuast Manifold Gaskets

Okay. The muffler shop is putting in my new exhaust manifolds on Friday when they have a full crew again. There is a couple cracked bolts and I honestly don't want to do this job in my driveway and the heat so I have decided to swallow my pride and pocket book and take it to the shop and let them have all the fun. They are going to charge me an arm and a leg for labor but its the cost of convenience I guess to have this truck run right after so many years of not (this should be last thing since I have done a full tune up and she is running like a champ).

So my question is what gaskets to use? I have read differing opinions on this. I am going with stock style dorman ones (so if I do do the MAF mod I can just plug the speed density holes with supplied plugs) so they are cast iron like the engine. I have read on here many think that if its cast iron manifolds it is better to just bolt it straight to the engine and just get rid of the gaskets all together. Also I have heard remflex gaskets are good (already but a set from amazon but I can always return for a small fee). So what have you guys done when replacing with cast iron manifolds? If I was going the header route this would not be a question and I would be rolling with the remflex gaskets.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM
choate
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what are they charging you? I'm thinking of getting some shorties that bolt up to the stock Y and it would basically be the same job but I have yet to ask around since I have a few things I need to get installed first but I am likely going to let a shop do it too and curious how bad it is. If it's too much I will have someone help and do it myself

Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru

These are for a big block, but this is what I have on my truck now. My manifolds were warped pretty bad and these sealed them right up. I had problems keeping the bolts tight, so I installed these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibration-Pr...3e572d&vxp=mtr

They worked like a charm!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 514 Likes on 339 Posts
There's not way that manifolds would seal properly against the motor without gaskets at this point. I also think you're throwing good power away by not putting on headers as long as you're replacing the manifolds anyway. Use copper or steel core gaskets. They won't blow out immediately like the junk paper ones.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf350man
I am going with stock style dorman ones (so if I do do the MAF mod I can just plug the speed density holes with supplied plugs) so they are cast iron like the engine.
Those are not "speed density holes"....those are for the Air Injection system. Has nothing to do with the engine fuel/air control.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by rla2005
Those are not "speed density holes"....those are for the Air Injection system. Has nothing to do with the engine fuel/air control.
Learn something new each day on here. Either way I don't think I want to delete the air injection system. Supposedly exhaust doesn't smell good after right? Any shorties with these already on them before I spend the money on getting these replaced?

Old 06-04-2015, 05:48 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts

Learn something new each day on here. Either way I don't think I want to delete the air injection system. Supposedly exhaust doesn't smell good after right? Any shorties with these already on them before I spend the money on getting these replaced?
No smell issues that I am aware of or experienced.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I deleted the smog pump and associated AIR system crap 5 years ago. No additional smell, and it's passed emissions every two years since. RI still does sniffer tests on OBD1 vehicles. (yay)

From what I understand, the AIR system is only operable for the first few minutes of run time on a cold engine. If you want to delete it, have at it.

Back to the gasket issue... I've tried a few different types, Remflex, Percy's, and now Fel-Pro. So far, the Fel-Pro gaskets have been the least problematic in terms of longevity, and not having to re-torque bolts after every 20 mile trip.

Summit sells a set of shorty headers with the EGR tube fitting on passenger side header, but I haven't seen any with the AIR fittings in them. That's what I have on mine and they've been great.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
No need for gaskets with new manifolds unless you ran the truck for 20k or so with broken bolts and it eroded the head.

The didn't have them from the factory, so there is no need now with new manifolds

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
I deleted the smog pump and associated AIR system crap 5 years ago. No additional smell, and it's passed emissions every two years since. RI still does sniffer tests on OBD1 vehicles. (yay)

From what I understand, the AIR system is only operable for the first few minutes of run time on a cold engine. If you want to delete it, have at it.

Back to the gasket issue... I've tried a few different types, Remflex, Percy's, and now Fel-Pro. So far, the Fel-Pro gaskets have been the least problematic in terms of longevity, and not having to re-torque bolts after every 20 mile trip.

Summit sells a set of shorty headers with the EGR tube fitting on passenger side header, but I haven't seen any with the AIR fittings in them. That's what I have on mine and they've been great.
Interesting. Well. I am rethinking this whole deal now. Clearly I need to spend some time looking into the air injection system delete and smog delete I just read a few places not to do it so I did not do my due diligence on the subject. I have obligations this afternoon but I will look into it tomorrow and decide if I should send these manifolds back. If I do might as well send the remflexs back and get felpros if you have experience with all of them. felpro I have always heard is decent. Dang. wonder how much shortys are going to be..... If I am going to spend the money though might as well do it all the way.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting. Well. I am rethinking this whole deal now. Clearly I need to spend some time looking into the air injection system delete and smog delete I just read a few places not to do it so I did not do my due diligence on the subject. I have obligations this afternoon but I will look into it tomorrow and decide if I should send these manifolds back. If I do might as well send the remflexs back and get felpros if you have experience with all of them. felpro I have always heard is decent. Dang. wonder how much shortys are going to be..... If I am going to spend the money though might as well do it all the way.
It was a few years ago when I bought mine from Summit, but I remember them being less than 200 bucks for my 5.8.

They won't be listed for an F350, mainly because of the AIR tubes that go into the manifolds. The shorty headers don't have provisions for that. But, if you're going to delete the AIR system, you don't need them anyway.

Here's a link to the shorties I bought:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...rd/model/f-150

Old 06-05-2015, 01:59 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 514 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
It was a few years ago when I bought mine from Summit, but I remember them being less than 200 bucks for my 5.8.

They won't be listed for an F350, mainly because of the AIR tubes that go into the manifolds. The shorty headers don't have provisions for that. But, if you're going to delete the AIR system, you don't need them anyway.

Here's a link to the shorties I bought:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...rd/model/f-150
I bought the same ones. They send you Pacesetter shorties. Repaint them immediately when you get them.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:36 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by GNR22
I bought the same ones. They send you Pacesetter shorties. Repaint them immediately when you get them.
What paint did you use? Yeah I guess I am going to go ahead and delete the air injection system. Seems pointless. I thought they were part of the speed density system for some crazy reason.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by choate
If you don't mind me asking, what are they charging you? I'm thinking of getting some shorties that bolt up to the stock Y and it would basically be the same job but I have yet to ask around since I have a few things I need to get installed first but I am likely going to let a shop do it too and curious how bad it is. If it's too much I will have someone help and do it myself
Pronto Muffler wanted $860 plus tax for complete job with parts (manifolds not headers). They are known to be a good shop in the area and have been there for years. Did many of my friends exhausts including some for my gearhead friends. I got my high school truck exhaust done there back when I was more like my grandpa then my dad driving a Chevy 1500 Z71, got true duals flow 40 series, boy was that truck sweet until it hit 120K and everything on it started breaking. That said that shop is also known to be a little pricey. Good quality comes with a price. I found a shop for $200 for just the labor. They looked at it when I bought some tires so they know about the two broken bolts already. Sketchy shop off Harry Hines (the old red light district here) so guess who is going to stand there while they do it..... Will be a fun 2-5 hours chain smoking cigarettes in the heat. Going to bring a chair and a fan. They are going to hate me but I don't know these guys from adam.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:11 PM
fordf350man
Senior User
Originally Posted by GNR22
I just bought these. Think the heat resistant paint at Home Depot will be decent? Also ordered some felpro header gaskets to use with those ARB header bolts I bought. Had a $20 off coupon for summit anyways.

Quick Reply: Exhuast Manifold Gaskets