1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with suspension - 2011 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:33 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Help with suspension - 2011 F-250

I'm a total newb and overwhelmed at all the options for these trucks. I've searched and read about every thread and now more confused.

I just bought a 2011 F-250 CC SB 6.2 FX4. 190K miles. It has Rancho shocks, which I believe are still original LOL. The truck has a very rough and bouncy drive. Steering wheel is a little off centered. I've driven a 2004 F-250 6.0L FX4 and it also rides like crap, but it too has factory rancho shocks. So I really have nothing else to compare to.

Got a quote from 4 Wheel Parts to put in new Bilstein level kit #F4-SE5-C765-H0 (shocks and springs w/ 2" front lift), and Bilstein 5100 shocks in rear. I believe the rear included a spacer, but not sure. Alignment. $960 out the door. $360 in labor, $80 for alighnment. Rest for Bilstein parts. Not unreasonable.

I am going to tow a 7500# Travel Trailer. I will have a weight distribution hitch. I don't want it sagging, hate the look for a sagging rear end! Should I put in air bags?

I just measured fenders to the ground, rear end is just under 1" higher. Looks level to the eye. Front is 39 3/4" and rear is 40 3/4".

My options are the following:

1. Keep ride height same. Replace shocks with new Bilstein 5100 on each corner. Replace steering damper with Bilstein. Do I need to replace stock springs at 190K miles or are they fine?

2. Put in 2" Bilstein level kit and Bilstein 5100 shocks front/rear. and get rear to not sag somehow.

I'm leaning towards not lifting and getting the largest 18" wheel/tire I can fit without rubbing and get a much better look. Replace shocks with Bilstein 5100s on each corner and the steering damper. Should I leave factory springs in the front?

Ugh, what would you do?

Pic of truck:

Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM
walter white
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
I'm a total newb and overwhelmed at all the options for these trucks. I've searched and read about every thread and now more confused.

I just bought a 2011 F-250 CC SB 6.2 FX4. 190K miles. It has Rancho shocks, which I believe are still original LOL. The truck has a very rough and bouncy drive. Steering wheel is a little off centered. I've driven a 2004 F-250 6.0L FX4 and it also rides like crap, but it too has factory rancho shocks. So I really have nothing else to compare to.

Got a quote from 4 Wheel Parts to put in new Bilstein level kit #F4-SE5-C765-H0 (shocks and springs w/ 2" front lift), and Bilstein 5100 shocks in rear. I believe the rear included a spacer, but not sure. Alignment. $960 out the door. $360 in labor, $80 for alighnment. Rest for Bilstein parts. Not unreasonable.

I am going to tow a 7500# Travel Trailer. I will have a weight distribution hitch. I don't want it sagging, hate the look for a sagging rear end! Should I put in air bags?

I just measured fenders to the ground, rear end is just under 1" higher. Looks level to the eye. Front is 39 3/4" and rear is 40 3/4".

My options are the following:

1. Keep ride height same. Replace shocks with new Bilstein 5100 on each corner. Replace steering damper with Bilstein. Do I need to replace stock springs at 190K miles or are they fine?

2. Put in 2" Bilstein level kit and Bilstein 5100 shocks front/rear. and get rear to not sag somehow.

I'm leaning towards not lifting and getting the largest 18" wheel/tire I can fit without rubbing and get a much better look. Replace shocks with Bilstein 5100s on each corner and the steering damper. Should I leave factory springs in the front?

Ugh, what would you do?
I just yanked my airbags out if you want them.
I did 3" lift on my 2011 but didn't like back height so I got talked into bags. Recently installed helper spring instead. The biggest problem with airbags is it stiffens the ride when aired tight (think haywagon).

Old 06-04-2015, 07:45 AM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
I'm towing my camper today. I'll see how she looks/handles.

Definitely need new shocks and steering damper. Truck also has a small clunk in front end when going over rough areas.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
I definitely need something to keep the rear from sagging. Camping World tech installed my Equalizer hitch, said it was setup correctly. I'll play with it and see if I can get it better. The rear went down 1" and front stayed about the same. Not sure what tongue weight is, will find out in a week when I can get my hands on a scale. Trailer had 2/3 tank of fresh water a few feet from front.

Are airbags my best bet? Or is there a better option?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:57 PM
electrician304
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by walter white
I just yanked my airbags out if you want them.
I did 3" lift on my 2011 but didn't like back height so I got talked into bags. Recently installed helper spring instead. The biggest problem with airbags is it stiffens the ride when aired tight (think haywagon).
I have a 4" Zone lift on my 2014 and my front sets about 1/2" higher than rear. I have been looking at ways to fix that either add-a-leaf, air bags or helper spring pack. I was leaning toward airbags till I read your reply. Do u have a helper spring pack or add-a-leaf and how does it ride now? Thanks

Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
If you don't need the water. Dump it, as it does add a lot of weight to the front end making it tongue heavy. Plus the movement of the water will make it feel funny while driving.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:00 AM
walter white
Senior User
Originally Posted by electrician304
I have a 4" Zone lift on my 2014 and my front sets about 1/2" higher than rear. I have been looking at ways to fix that either add-a-leaf, air bags or helper spring pack. I was leaning toward airbags till I read your reply. Do u have a helper spring pack or add-a-leaf and how does it ride now? Thanks
I think its a "lift" spring in the stack with an overload spring. It definitely rides better than tight airbags but I kinda liked being able to shake paint cans by strapping them to back bumper

Old 06-12-2015, 05:06 AM
walter white
Senior User

Better angle

Old 06-16-2015, 02:59 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
The squat when towing is really annoying me. I hooked up my TT this weekend without the equalizer hitch and it bucked quite a bit on my 15 mile drive.

I'm leaning towards adding a leaf. Which kit? I talked to a guy at 4 wheel parts on the phone and he didn't sound like he knew his stuff. He said it's around $250 for each spring, pro comps. Sound right, $500 for the rear?

If I do a add a leaf, do I keep the front stock height or add a level kit (2")?

Old 06-17-2015, 02:41 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
I'm digging the Timbren SES kit. Cheap and easy to install.

Help me out if I want to do a level kit.... Here is what I'm thinking:

FRONT:
- Bilstein Level Kit (2") #F4-SE5-C765-H0: Includes new springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks

REAR:
- Bilstein shocks
- ???

Looks like my options are:

- Add-a-leaf + Timbrens. Would this keep the truck level with the 2" front lift?
- Add Ready Lift 4" (2" lift) + Timbrens

??

Old 06-17-2015, 05:14 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
I have the same problem with my 2012 f250 and I have the camper package which is basically the f350 springs. The total lack of any rack is the issue my truck handles weight perfect it just looks silly loaded up. I just ordered the ready lift 4" rear block kit specifically for f250's kit #66-2014. I'm still waiting for them to arrive but I'm hoping to have it sit like the f350 when done which will solve my issue. It's still going to sit on the overloads(as would a f350) but it will sit more level loaded due to the added rake. I didn't do air bags because I don't want the ride to get any stiffer empty or need to fill/deflate bags every time ( I'm far to cheap for a built in compressor). I can't wait to get these in.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:29 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Does the ready lift 4" rear block lift it 4" or 2"?

You are going to keep front stock height?

Will you need to extend your shocks?

So much to think about, it's overwhelming :|

Old 06-17-2015, 05:40 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
The ready lift block is 4" but you need to remove the factory 2" block so it's really an increase of 2" above stock. I read some posts that say shocks are not required and others say they are so I will figure out if there is enough extra length when I install the blocks. I may or may not also need to change out my rear sway bar end links but I'm not sure the extra 2" will effect it enough to worry about those links. I'm not sure if yours has the camper pkg which comes with the rear stabilizer bar so might not be an issue for you. My truck sits nose high stock due to the heavier front springs and when I'm even lightly loaded it looks sagged. Look the ready lift kit up (66-2014) it seems reasonably priced and I'm hoping for a quick install since nothing is all rusted together on this truck.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:47 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Ok, that helps.

My rear end sits about 1" higher. I am thinking the Bilstein front kit and ReadyLift 4" blocks will get me a nice 2" lift. Now need to see if the Bilstein 5100 shocks will work with this or I need a different shock with the 2" increase in lift. I also think I'll put in Timbrens to keep it level when loaded down.

Sound like a good plan??

Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
If you find a definite answer on the shock length let me know if you wouldn't mind.

Quick Reply: Help with suspension - 2011 F-250