Sponsored by:

Free thread monthly pruning

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueX
Looking for a set of rear factory F350 3.75" AKA "4" lift blocks.
I've got a set of strait ones. No tapper.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:05 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Ya funny, being the 10.25 was first used in a Ford pickup in1985. Had a tone ring from day 1 if I remember right.
They didn't have tone rings anywhere when I was a mechanic.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:25 PM
justonv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ExploringNH
He is putting in lower gears so it doesn't matter what gear ratio the open diff has, although it will most likely end up being 3.73. It will be cheaper to ship without the heavy ring gear on it anyway.

In addition to being cheaper to ship without your ring gear, you will probably be wanting it unless you are doing a gear swap yourself. You aren't supposed to mix and match ring and pinions because they are a matched set lapped together at the factory. Just thought I'd throw that out there, since no one else had mentioned it, in case you weren't aware. Don't want somebody coming up with a rear end rebuild expense they weren't prepared for...

Old 03-04-2015, 03:10 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by EXv10
Your aggument is null and void in this conversation about 10.25/10.5 rear axles. You must have never worked on anything in the last 30 years.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by justonv
In addition to being cheaper to ship without your ring gear, you will probably be wanting it unless you are doing a gear swap yourself. You aren't supposed to mix and match ring and pinions because they are a matched set lapped together at the factory. Just thought I'd throw that out there, since no one else had mentioned it, in case you weren't aware. Don't want somebody coming up with a rear end rebuild expense they weren't prepared for...
That's not true, nothing is "lapped together" on it. They just cut them all the same.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:03 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Your aggument is null and void in this conversation about 10.25/10.5 rear axles. You must have never worked on anything in the last 30 years.
I never mentioned any 10.5 etc. ................read, and what argument?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

I never mentioned any 10.5 etc. ................read, and what argument?
Ok, so we where taking about a 10.25/10.5 carrier..... This is how it went not?

Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Gotcha. After I hit send I remembered they used the same carrier up til 07 IIRC lol
Than it continued.
It's amazing that thoseaka 10.25/10.5 rear ends haven't changed from at least back to the fifties (except for the tone ring).

Ya funny, being the 10.25 was first used in a Ford pickup in1985. Had a tone ring from day 1 if I remember right.

I'm not sure where you where going with this, unless you where changing the subject from the 10.25/10.5 rear ends that every vehicle in this section uses to rear ends in general. Either way, idk why I'm even bothering responding.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get that diff measured out?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Hell no, I'm still workin out of town. Lol

Old 03-04-2015, 07:04 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't realize you work outta town. No rush

Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Ok, so we where taking about a 10.25/10.5 carrier..... This is how it went not?
Than it continued.
I'm not sure where you where going with this, unless you where changing the subject from the 10.25/10.5 rear ends that every vehicle in this section uses to rear ends in general. Either way, idk why I'm even bothering responding.
You added AKA 10.5 etc to my statement in red (putting words in my mouth) but when I said THOSE I was referring to rear ends in general, "those rear ends" like "those v-8's" etc. I have no idea about certain ones or years. I only said they (meaning rear ends in general) never used to have rings.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:48 PM
justonv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not true, nothing is "lapped together" on it. They just cut them all the same.
With all due respect, as I have seen much of your advice that was great and right on, I think I personally have to differ here. However, it's not my rear end or my money, so in the end I don't care which ring gear he uses. Just seems to make more sense to use his own.

Technical Help
This guy LITERALLY wrote the book on rear ends, so I have to believe at least most of what he says...
All of my research and every trans and gear mechanic I have talked to, says that they are. However, knowing mass production, say you are right and Ford doesn't manufacture their ring and pinions like every other company who does lap them. The fact that they have been driven would have worn, or "lapped," them together. I have heard of guys mixing and not having problems, but it was always almost new gears. I know after rebuilding a rear end twice in a month because the guy I was doing it for wanted to try and cheap out and use a used ring gear from a junk yard (right rear end, right number of teeth, double checked), I will never do it again.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:17 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by justonv
With all due respect, as I have seen much of your advice that was great and right on, I think I personally have to differ here. However, it's not my rear end or my money, so in the end I don't care which ring gear he uses. Just seems to make more sense to use his own.

Technical Help
This guy LITERALLY wrote the book on rear ends, so I have to believe at least most of what he says...
All of my research and every trans and gear mechanic I have talked to, says that they are. However, knowing mass production, say you are right and Ford doesn't manufacture their ring and pinions like every other company who does lap them. The fact that they have been driven would have worn, or "lapped," them together. I have heard of guys mixing and not having problems, but it was always almost new gears. I know after rebuilding a rear end twice in a month because the guy I was doing it for wanted to try and cheap out and use a used ring gear from a junk yard (right rear end, right number of teeth, double checked), I will never do it again.
Ring and pinions are not lapped, they are made to certain specs and then case hardened which is extremely hard and can't be lapped anyway. It's a myth, nobody is going to take time to lap any production type gears in. They might be matched during the machining process somehow but I don't know about that. I read that guy's TECH HELP and I only agree with about half of what he said. Unless you have built hundreds of rear ends there is just too many myths associated with them. I can't really take anyone serious that uses an air impact to crush a sleeve........lol (You can approach the optimum bearing load at any time). I would like to critique all of that guys' statements but it would take too long.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Free Parts thread. Emphasis on the "Free" and the "Parts" so keep the yammering OT to a minimum please. This thread isn't like other threads that will typically drift, so please keep it more on-topic and less off.

Thanks.

Stewart

Old 03-04-2015, 10:50 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Free Parts thread. Emphasis on the "Free" and the "Parts" so keep the yammering OT to a minimum please. This thread isn't like other threads that will typically drift, so please keep it more on-topic and less off.

Thanks.

Stewart
OK, please leave that last post in though.

Quick Reply: Free thread monthly pruning