1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Need new suspension, New OEM springs, re-arch old, or Airbags all around?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I need new springs all the way around on my 96 7.3 4x4 F250. I was looking at all my leafs and theyre all about 1 1/2-2"s off the bump stops. If Im going to have to put new leafs on anyway, Im thinking it just makes more sense to buy air bags all the way around and have an infinite adjust suspension so that its super soft and comfy. Can I go air bags as my suspension adjustment on warn out springs or should I get new springs, and better shocks? Or should I just get my old springs re-arched? Anybody every run airbags all the way around on an 7.3 F250 with a TTB D50?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Pic for suspension sag verification.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:25 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
I like st. Louis spring in the past.also check the front shackle bushings.they are shot I gauranree.do poly on them if you replace.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman67
I like st. Louis spring in the past
Im assuming u mean the rear. The rear suspension is good and tight. The front is done, who sells OEM replacement fronts for our trucks?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Feel free to send me a message! I can definitely set you up with something that will fit your needs.

-Junior

Old 06-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ATS Junior
Feel free to send me a message! I can definitely set you up with something that will fit your needs.

-Junior
Thanks man, Ill give ya a shout when the giant void that this truck, the performance tranny, chip, intake, exhaust, fluid changes, interior, and gauges left in my wallet fills back in. 9k went so fast. haha.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Haywire-Powerstroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh so your leaf springs aren't supposed to look like that? haha my front springs look just as bad as yours about 1-2" off the block

Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid
Im assuming u mean the rear. The rear suspension is good and tight. The front is done, who sells OEM replacement fronts for our trucks?
I spent a lot of time looking for front springs, to no avail. I had them re-arched at a good truck spring shop. I replaced all of the bushings too. I did not go poly although I should have. I bought the bushings from summitt @ $12 each. The spring job cost me $400.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks man, Ill give ya a shout when the giant void that this truck, the performance tranny, chip, intake, exhaust, fluid changes, interior, and gauges left in my wallet fills back in. 9k went so fast. haha.
Junior is the man when it comes to springs!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
I like st. Louis spring in the past.also check the front shackle bushings.they are shot I gauranree.do poly on them if you replace.
Yep. Didn't know it 'til I removed them, but my front shackle bushings were running metal to metal, the rubber was gone. Replaced them with poly bushings and visibly picked up more ride height, although I didn't measure the improvement.

I did the D50 pivot bushings at the same time and the visible TTB axle camber went away too. Not sure if that was due to the pivot bushings, the shackle bushings or a combination of both of them.

Bob

Old 06-05-2015, 10:33 AM
iverger
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Pic for suspension sag verification.
1.5" isn't very far off stock. Ford designed the IFS springs to be reverse arched. I replaced the fronts on my 94 F250 with a new 3500 lbs HD set from Bronco Graveyard and I ended up with 1.75 inches space at the bump stops.

If you are over 200k miles I'd check and or replace all the bushings 1st. Pivot, spring and shackle. Then see where you sit. If your closer to 1.75, new springs may not be needed.

My 97 was at this point and I opted to do a stock D60 swap instead. There wasn't a huge difference in cost and ride improvement was worth every penny.

Good luck,
Bob

Old 06-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by iverger
1.5" isn't very far off stock. Ford designed the IFS springs to be reverse arched. I replaced the fronts on my 94 F250 with a new 3500 lbs HD set from Bronco Graveyard and I ended up with 1.75 inches space at the bump stops.

If you are over 200k miles I'd check and or replace all the bushings 1st. Pivot, spring and shackle. Then see where you sit. If your closer to 1.75, new springs may not be needed.

My 97 was at this point and I opted to do a stock D60 swap instead. There wasn't a huge difference in cost and ride improvement was worth every penny.

Good luck,
Bob
I seriously considered the D60 swap. What finally stopped me was some information that I got that the D60 has even a wider turning radius than a D50. That "info" came from the internet and may not be correct. My extended cab long bed already has the turning radius of a locomotive and I don't want to make it any wider.

Bob

Old 06-05-2015, 12:43 PM
iverger
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_T
I seriously considered the D60 swap. What finally stopped me was some information that I got that the D60 has even a wider turning radius than a D50. That "info" came from the internet and may not be correct. My extended cab long bed already has the turning radius of a locomotive and I don't want to make it any wider.

Bob
Interesting. My reading and now my experience tells me exactly the opposite. I did stay completely stock with a 97 F350 donor. No RSK and or any lift other than the 2.5 inches gained from the factory F350 springs and using the 4" F350 rear blocks. Not sure if that changes anything, but mine turns noticeably shorter after the swap.

EDIT:
I used/replaced all of the linkage, including the pitman arm from the F350. That may explain some of the difference in results.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:27 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If I had had the cash full air ride would be the way I'd go
Ford - 4Link Towing Kit

Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM
ved0303
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My turning radius is much smaller/better since I put my D60 on. It was awful with the TTB. I did the RSK too. I decided to do a D60 on a whim and it turned into way more of a project then I planned. Airbags and bushings sounds sweet to me.

Quick Reply: Need new suspension, New OEM springs, re-arch old, or Airbags all around?