1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Having trouble with the idle of my f450 7.3L f450 when I key up my c. For some reason it effects it

Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
wiccantoy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having trouble with the idle of my f450 7.3L f450 when I key up my c. For some reason it effects it

Just as stated my cb effects the idle of my trucks idle when I key up the mike. Anyone know what this might be? Cb is brand new cause I trashed my other one cause I thought it was bad due to what I it's doing now.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:58 PM
wiccantoy
Senior User
Really? No one has any idea as to why this is happening? It seems I'm not the first to have this issue, but no one has found out as to why this is going on......

Old 06-19-2015, 06:30 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
Good morning wiccantoy,

I'm going to move this to the 7.3L forum. I couldn't even make a good guess as to what's causing it. How is it wired?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:02 AM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've heard of CB's messing with these 7.3's a lot. Don't know why or how (I don't have a CB).

Someone here will chime in.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:17 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember years ago a guy had a CB radio with a linear amp. Without the amp, his car was fine. Every time he turned the amp on, it would bog the motor down. The signal from the antenna interfered with the motor. Is your CB stock? Have you tried unplugging the chip?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:23 AM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you recently changed out your ICP sensor with an aftermarket. The nonOEM have issues with RF signals.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:42 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
It is your CMP sensor (Camshaft position sensor) most here call it a CPS. Do some searching you will find reports of CB radios and wiper delay modules not playing well with certain CMP sensors.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Is it aftermarket Cam Sensors or factory ones? Or both?

Also, is it aftermarket ICP sensors that suffer from interference from CB radios?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,312 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Is it aftermarket Cam Sensors or factory ones? Or both?

Both, and just like there are varying and subtle (and debatable) differences in how the engine idles and performs with various vintages and brands of CMP sensors, there is variation as to the degree that other sources of electromagnetic frequency interference (EMF) can effect the CMP (what a lot of people call CPS).

A solution that has worked for several people is installing ferrite chokes around the wires of the wiper motor, the CMP sensor, and the offending CB radio.

Radio Shack (if you can find one, as many have shuttered for good) sells ferrite chokes that you can snap together over the wire without any cutting or splicing. The look like donuts that split in half.

That being said, the more effective way to use ferrite chokes to attenuate EMF is to loop the wire through the hole of the "donut", and wrap it once or twice around the meat of the donut, and then loop it back through the hole of the donut sending it on it's merry way.

One way to accomplish at least one wrap of loop through is to disconnect the wire harness connector, remove the terminal assurance retention tab in order to release the individual pins/sockets that are crimped to the actual wire, pull the wire back with it's crimp terminal still attached, wrap around the choke, and restore it back into the connector terminal, reinstall the retention tab, and reconnect the harness connector. The problem with this is that the factory wire harnesses are generally JUST long enough to get to their destination without a wrap.

Hence the snap on chokes, while not technically as effective, are more practically appropriate, and are easier to install. And, according to several reports, seem to work good enough to address the problem with the truck dying in the rain, where it really isn't the rain causing the truck to die, it is acutally the EMF from the use of the wiper motor.

There is an external raid array connected to the offline computer next to me, and the cable that leads to it has a ferrite choke built into the cable. It is a fat plastic cylindrical shaped part, about an inch long.

If you already know what a ferrite choke is, please forgive me for explaining all the details. This post was "written for the record" to help anyone searching who might not have any idea... as this problem is a common occurance with the CMP sensors of this truck, and yet the solution of adding ferrite chokes has emerged as a relatively recent concocted home brew experiment that just so happens to have worked.

As more and more people try them and experience success, I'm sure that one of the enterprising vendors around here will come up with a catchy name like Furious Ferrite Run Rights, buy a bunch, treble the price, and sell them back to us. Only they will probably think of a better name than I just did. Until that happens though, try some online electronic hard parts resources like Fry's, Mouser, McMaster-Carr, and a hundered other electronic online sellers whose names escape me when I try to think of them.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
We had a Fire Truck that would Cut Off when their Radio was used. Found the Antenna was not Grounded properly and had some exposed wire as well affecting the DDE Computer.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
There is a good bit about electronic chokes or RF chokes on the web. I have occasionally run into the problem in RVs when turning on one electronic component resets or cancels out another one. I have to work with a fair number of module control boards and it can make them go goofy.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM
wiccantoy
Senior User
Thank you for the info gives me something to look at. Pretty much gives me a direction to move word.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM
LAMADMAN
Senior User
I bought an aftermarket CPS (cam position) that would kill the truck if I used delayed wipers. May just need a better ground for the cb though.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another good source for ferrite chokes is Amazon.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:22 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If the sensors are not OEM, I wouldn't modify the truck to compensate for sub-par sensors. This would be jury-rigging a jury-rig - then you might as well install a Walmart* bumper sticker while you're at it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having trouble with the idle of my f450 7.3L f450 when I key up my c. For some reason it effects it