6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need help and guidance on bulletproofing a 6.0 on F-100 body.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 AM
F100trauma
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help and guidance on bulletproofing a 6.0 on F-100 body.

Hi everyone! So I'm taking the challenge on putting the body of a 1977 F-100 shorty bed in to a 2005 6.0 F250 frame and engine, but before I do all that I would like to get some input on all of the upgrades and what should I do to the engine in order to prolong the life and made this engine more reliable or "AKA" bulletproof, this is one of those rare opportunities in life were you get to do something cool for a fraction of the cost, so I'm going for it and want to do it right from the start.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 AM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
How many miles does the engine have on it and do you know any maintenance history. There is a possibility that a majority of the work has been done.

Of course the state you live in will play a factor in which direction you decide to go i.e. EGR delete vs BPD EGR cooler.

Since this is a project truck that you are having fun with, I would highly recommend getting ARP head studs installed (with Ford HG) while the cab is off. If it's a high mileage engine it would be wise to install new lifters and push rods.

A few good things to address as well...

STC fitting
Standpipes
Dummy plugs
Turbo feed tube
Turbo drain tube
Oil cooler
Non-Chemical Coolant flush (distilled water)
Install Fomoto valves on both block drains
EGR cooler delete or BPD cooler

Always change the batteries in pairs and buy some digital gauges to monitor everything... Scan Gauge II, Torque App, Dashboss to name a few....

Old 05-31-2015, 09:03 AM
F100trauma
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
How many miles does the engine have on it and do you know any maintenance history. There is a possibility that a majority of the work has been done.

Of course the state you live in will play a factor in which direction you decide to go i.e. EGR delete vs BPD EGR cooler.

Since this is a project truck that you are having fun with, I would highly recommend getting ARP head studs installed (with Ford HG) while the cab is off. If it's a high mileage engine it would be wise to install new lifters and push rods.

A few good things to address as well...

STC fitting
Standpipes
Dummy plugs
Turbo feed tube
Turbo drain tube
Oil cooler
Non-Chemical Coolant flush (distilled water)
Install Fomoto valves on both block drains
EGR cooler delete or BPD cooler

Always change the batteries in pairs and buy some digital gauges to monitor everything... Scan Gauge II, Torque App, Dashboss to name a few....
Thank you for your recommendation ! To answer your questions the engine has 98,000 miles in it, as for the maintenance, I took the vin number to a ford dealership and one of the techs that's helping me out should have a list of history work that has been done to this engine, as for the upgrades I'm planning on doing the head studs and better head gaskets as a start, I live in Colorado springs so I don't have to do emissions test, so most likely I will delete the egr.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:08 AM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By "better head gaskets" I hope you mean Ford OEM.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Outstanding, I can't wait to see it finished. I would love to do a build like this with a 70-72 model 4x4... But that will probably never happen. lol

At that mileage I would leave the lifters alone and just put new push rods in. Ford updated them at some point. They are the same ones that are in the 6.4s, and are a "hair" shorter.

You mentioned better HGs, to be quite honest OEMs are the best. "Super Duty Service" has a customer that trialed a set of Felpro gaskets. So far no failures and it tows heavy loads. I would certainly steer clear of any VR gaskets... They have a high failure rate.

Feel free to post pics over here too...

Old 05-31-2015, 09:54 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With judt 98k you'll want to tear down the turbo and clean it up (probably alot of rust)

Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of you that didn't read his other thread, first, we are mourning the death of an Amarillo. So, OP, how do you feel about bright yellow paint?

Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 AM
F100trauma
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
For those of you that didn't read his other thread, first, we are mourning the death of an Amarillo. So, OP, how do you feel about bright yellow paint?
Lol too funny! Let me tell you the old owner has a 2012 challenger srt8 and guess what color it is? bright yellow! He also has a Harley Davidson motor cycle also bright yellow😆😆😆

Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 AM
F100trauma
Senior User
I'm going back and forth in between the build thread and the engine work😁, anyway so yesterday I disassemble the front end on the frame to get a better look at the situation, once I took the lower radiator hose off, I saw how much sand, dirt and very large particles of crap were coming out of the coolant system, also I took the pipe that feeds the egr and the EGR looks to be in grate shape.

Now it is very easy for me to understand why the oil cooler gets clog up.

The inside of the egr looks in very good shape, no carbon built up on this end.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

You will want to ditch that EGR cooler for a BPD cooler or a delete of some sort! While the engine is exposed, install some Fomoto valves it the 2 block drains. This will assist in getting a good coolant flush done, the install a new oil cooler. You will be golden at that point. Just stay on top of the coolant flush intervals.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:22 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the junk I work on that lil bit is nothing. Picture twice that as normal for the junk I work on.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:42 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
You will want to ditch that EGR cooler for a BPD cooler or a delete of some sort! While the engine is exposed, install some Fomoto valves it the 2 block drains. This will assist in getting a good coolant flush done, the install a new oil cooler. You will be golden at that point. Just stay on top of the coolant flush intervals.
I think the BPD EGR cooler would be the way to go.

Also KEEP the Yellow paint. Sort of biased here I do have to say on that point.
Are you going to use the Superduty's brake system with the hydroboost?

Please keep us posted on the project and any photos would be really coolas
you move along in the project.
Best luck to you.

Sean

Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 AM
mohoneywell
Senior User
I would re-seal the oil manifolds, too, while you are doing the standpipes and dummy plugs.

search for - nipple cup orings.

cre8or has a good price on ebay for the tool and orings

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, this is a 1977. No emissions regs. Throw that EGR cooler as far away as possible.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
Guys, this is a 1977. No emissions regs. Throw that EGR cooler as far away as possible.
Not always/ it really will depend on how his state looks at it.
It now will have 2 VINs and they will need to be reconciled.

Sean

Quick Reply: Need help and guidance on bulletproofing a 6.0 on F-100 body.