Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First road trip with my Ex turned into a nightmare vacation

Old 05-30-2015, 01:57 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First road trip with my Ex turned into a nightmare vacation

So I took a 4 hr road trip for some vacation fun with the family to Disney. The ride up went great including the 3 days there until we were leaving Epcot. The truck fired up like normal, I go into drive and roll through the parking lot without incident until I come to my first stop. My truck starts to sputter. I start driving and the truck doesn't want to move much then stalls. No check engine lights or leaks noticed.

Now it's sitting at the local Orlando dealer and lucky for us we have a cousin who lives there that was coming down to Miami tonight. We hitched a ride back home with her and my truck is far from me. I hope I get not so bad news tomorrow but I'm expecting the worse.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:37 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear this news, hope it all works out for you.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
So far I'm in the hole for $1300. I need a new fuel pump and filters plus cleaning out the fuel lines. Then they will diagnose the rest of the fuel system. I hope they don't find anything else or this can easily run up to $3000

Old 05-30-2015, 09:59 AM
PhauxNub
Freshman User
I feel your pain. First day I had mine home, about two months ago, brakes siezed up and was without it for a few days. Had it back for about a month, took first long trip, two hours from home, transmission started leaking. Just got it back last night, transmission still leaking.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:41 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
Yeah it's such a gut wrenching feeling to have this happen so far from home and feeling stranded. The worse worst part is that I have a great diesel mechanic back home but I'm in no position to bring it down here. I'm stuck having to leave it with the stealership cause my roadside assist would not bring it down here.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueX
Yeah it's such a gut wrenching feeling to have this happen so far from home and feeling stranded. The worse worst part is that I have a great diesel mechanic back home but I'm in no position to bring it down here. I'm stuck having to leave it with the stealership cause my roadside assist would not bring it down here.
I don't know how it is for you guys in the US but here in Canada CAA has a premier membership package that will give you 1 - 320 km tow and 4 - 200 km tows.

I think for the cost of the membership would be well worth it to get it back into friendly territory.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 AM
PhauxNub
Freshman User
Right there with you on that one. I was lucky enough to find someone with a goose neck to go pick it up and bring it back to my mechanic for me. The other option was to use AAA from friends in two legs on two different days because it was too far for a single, covered, tow.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:18 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So far I'm in the hole for $1300. I need a new fuel pump and filters plus cleaning out the fuel lines. Then they will diagnose the rest of the fuel system. I hope they don't find anything else or this can easily run up to $3000
Did you run low on fuel?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:36 AM
BigBlueX
Senior User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Did you run low on fuel?
No in fact I fueled up at a rest stop on the turnpike along the way. I had just under 1/2 a tank when I broke down. It got me wondering if I got bad fuel when I stopped.

It has me wondering what could've caused this? A bad fuel injector, a bad FICM, or just good old fashioned ***** happens.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:32 PM
BigBlueX
Senior User
I just got the call from the dealer and there are no other findings thank God.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Did they test the fuel? When I got a bad tank of Conoco diesel they ended up paying for the entire $5200 bill. Took them three weeks, but they did pay for it.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:45 PM
BigBlueX
Senior User
I was going to ask them that when I get to the dealer on Monday.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse. I got a bad tank once and as soon as I was back on the highway my truck started running like crap. Thankfully I had only got let than a half tank so I pulled off and fueled all the way up at the next station and it stopped immediately. Awful feeling when your truck dies. Get aaa premier. They will cover a single tow up to like 200 miles or more and if you add the rv coverage it will include a trailer too. I dropped mine but as soon as my old truck is done and our daughter is a year or two older I will be adding it back for long camping trips. Peace of mind is invaluable.