1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Stumblefoot
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Ive always used Synthetic, in my class 8 tractor Freightliner with Detroit and my F450, 6.7 and my old F350 6.0L The 6.0 had just over 300,00miles when I traded it in, and still running strong on a local ranch, Two reasons Synthetic does not break down as fast, confirmed by oil samples, the other reason, ITS NOT FOSSIL OIL so I'm not paying "Big Oil" I give them enough with all the fuel I use. As previously stated, it kind of depends what your using your truck for, mine are over the road hot shots, and yes I pull heavy quite often, I know guys who use conventional oils, they claim a cost savings, but using a good oil sample I run mine longer therefore less oil changes, (less time in the shop for oil change) I could install a bypass oil system and run even longer, but sometimes I like to come home for a day off to get my oil changed. Run what your comfortable with..its your truck, your money. I guess you could strattle the fence and go semi synthetic like we put in the gassers.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:05 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Synthetic oil question

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I know guys who use conventional oils, they claim a cost savings
I use conventional in my Kenworth with a cat c15. The company I am leased on with buys their oil in bulk and I can get Mobil delvac for $8.95 per gallon. I get my filters at a 50% discount through them too, so both fuel filters, oil filter and 10 gallons of oil only costs me $112. Synthetic oil alone would cost twice that much.

I use synthetic in my super duty, but that is 7 quarts once a year instead of 10 gallons every other month.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:58 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
Bitter recheck your TBN numbers!
some good reading
Do I Need a TBN?
An oil's function is to lubricate, clean, and cool the engine. Additives are added to the oil to enhance those functions. The TBN will start out reading in the 6.0 to 14.0 range (depending on whether the oil is for gas or diesel engines). When you first start using the oil the TBN tends to drop sharply. Then it levels out and drops more slowly after that. A low TBN test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower.
Unless I am missing something here, my TBN # is good

Old 08-23-2015, 01:03 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
However, the TBN is not the only factor to consider when determining how long an oil can be used. If wear accumulations and insolubles in the oil build up and become abrasive, we would recommend changing out the oil, no matter how high the TBN reading.

Case Scenarios

Case #1
Joe Owner has a new engine and wants to determine how long he can keep a fill of oil in place. He sends in a sample of his virgin oil (with no miles on it) and a sample of his used oil (with 3,000 miles on it) for an analysis and a TBN test.

The virgin oil has a TBN reading of 12.0. His used oil has a TBN reading of 9.5, and his wear levels are fine. Joe decides to leave his current fill of oil in place, and resamples in another 3,000 miles. This time, the TBN reads 6.0, still an average amount, but his wear accumulations and insolubles have built up to a level that causes the oil to become abrasive. We recommend that Joe change out this oil.

This does scare me a little now though & maybe I should just change the damn OIL once a year even if I don't hit 5,000 miles just to be safe. I thought I was doing the right thing by having the oil tested & listening to them as far as extending the changes

You guys really got me thinking now, good timing though as my next 1 year mark is in about 1 month

Old 08-23-2015, 06:48 AM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my basic philosophy on engine oil:
You'll never end up with regrets down the road that you over-changed your engine oil. Its not a marathon race.

I know the diesel service is more expensive and we all like to save what we can, but in my 6.2 gasser I run Penzoil Platinum and change it when the OCI reads around 40%. I don't bother with analysis because the testing costs half the price of my oil change.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM
rjcorazza
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to criticize anyone's opinion on time vs mileage, or synthetic vs conventional oil, but really anyone who considers these issues is ultimately taking good care of their vehicle.
With my 7qt gas truck I use full synthetic, changed once a year (about 10k miles).

Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I switched from conventional oil to Rotella T6 full synthetic. I couldn't believe the HUGE difference it made just with my cold starts every morning living here in the Northeast!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Lees350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What weights are you using? The diesel supplement recommends certain weights for different temperatures.
Where I am, its not uncommon for the temp to go down to -15 to -20C for a month in the winter. In summer it can range from 10 to 30C
Looks like the 5w40 is a good choice for that temp range?

Would you still use 5w40 in summer hauling a 14k fifth wheel? or go lighter?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:33 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lees350
What weights are you using? The diesel supplement recommends certain weights for different temperatures.
Where I am, its not uncommon for the temp to go down to -15 to -20C for a month in the winter. In summer it can range from 10 to 30C

Welcome to the site! I'm using 5w40 all year long..

Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 AM
davester250
Elder User

Only -20C? Southerner...

Old 08-26-2015, 07:55 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
This does scare me a little now though & maybe I should just change the damn OIL once a year even if I don't hit 5,000 miles just to be safe. I thought I was doing the right thing by having the oil tested & listening to them as far as extending the changes

You guys really got me thinking now, good timing though as my next 1 year mark is in about 1 month
Well if your getting a UOA report look at the wear rates on the report and not just the TBN. All that scenario is illustrating that TBN isn't the end all be all of oil analysis metrics. In the days of ULSD, wear rates are more important than TBN IMHO.

A 5w40 should be fine... a 10w30 should be fine as well. -4F isn't that cold, I ran T5 in my 7.3 below zero and it started great.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Lees350
Senior User
Originally Posted by davester250
Only -20C? Southerner...
lol that probably should have been months... but yes, southern Canada. We have had -40C and lower but usually only lasts a couple of days. the rest of the winter is usually high teens.

I'll use the 5w40 until the engine is broken in then switch to synthetic.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts

I'll use the 5w40 until the engine is broken in then switch to synthetic.
Who makes a 5w40 dino oil? I've never seen one that's not fully synthetic, but I don't often travel to Canada either.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Lees350
Senior User
Well look at that... Just learned something new. I was unaware 5w40 was only synthetic.

I'm not sure what will come in the new truck, but I'll revise my statement to say I'll be switching to synthetic after the first oil change lol

Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Well look at that... Just learned something new. I was unaware 5w40 was only synthetic.

I'm not sure what will come in the new truck, but I'll revise my statement to say I'll be switching to synthetic after the first oil change lol
I believe that's because conventional base stocks require too many viscosity improves when you have such a high increase in viscosity. Going from a 5 weight to a 40 weight without shearing down right away isn't easy!

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil question