Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With My Steering Gearbox: Motorcraft or Redhead?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:46 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help With My Steering Gearbox: Motorcraft or Redhead?

A forum search didn't yield much information, so my apologies if this discussion is hidden somewhere on the boards.

My '88 F250 has pretty sloppy steering, and I think I've narrowed the problem down to the steering box. So, this brings up a couple questions.

1) Is there anything I can do to diagnose it for sure without taking it to a shop?
2) If the steering box is the culprit, how much of a PITA is it to do a replacement?
3) Is a Redhead gearbox ($366) worth the price difference over a Motorcraft ($303) part?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:48 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Jeez, and here I thought truck guys were super opinionated

Old 05-30-2015, 02:37 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When my needs to be replaced, It will get a readhead. Are kind of expensive. But they fixed the flaw ford neglected, its better than new the way I see it.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:54 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
What flaw did Redhead fix? How is it better than new?

Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Russell F Cary
What flaw did Redhead fix? How is it better than new?
Red-Head Steering Gears - Steering Gear Re-Manufacturing in USA

Old 05-30-2015, 10:32 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Well of course the Redhead website is going to say that Redhead steering gears are the best ones out there. I'm looking for real experience from users.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:38 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Well of course the Redhead website is going to say that Redhead steering gears are the best ones out there. I'm looking for real experience from users.
when i installed a redhead steering box on chip truck,i had to learn to stop over correcting when going around corners.
cured all that ailed her. i used to have a '96 f150 that got the bad wonder too.that truck wasn't worth fixing to me at the time,cus the truck was too small for my needs,but i lived with it for too long.i didn't settle when it come time to address chip trucks.log truck will be getting a red too.

Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
When my needs to be replaced, It will get a readhead. Are kind of expensive. But they fixed the flaw ford neglected, its better than new the way I see it.
this is the way i see it as well.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Jeez, and here I thought truck guys were super opinionated
I just wanted to point out to you that very few of us live specifically to help you solve your problems. Most everyone on here is very willing to chime in with helpful suggestions when we have them. But a lot of us get less willing when we see this kind of attitude. Maybe you didn't intend it, and in that case I'm sorry I got snarky with you. Either way, you seem to be coming across like you expect people to immediately give you the answers you want. People don't tend to respond well to that. Just sayin'

Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 AM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
I just wanted to point out to you that very few of us live specifically to help you solve your problems. Most everyone on here is very willing to chime in with helpful suggestions when we have them. But a lot of us get less willing when we see this kind of attitude. Maybe you didn't intend it, and in that case I'm sorry I got snarky with you. Either way, you seem to be coming across like you expect people to immediately give you the answers you want. People don't tend to respond well to that. Just sayin'
If that is the way I was coming across, then it was certainly unintentional. The first comment was simply intended to "bump" the thread; they tend to fall away and get ignored when not responded to, and as it was an important issue to me, I wanted to keep it up on the list in hopes they someone would have some input. Also, I know most "truck guys" are super opinionated, because the vast majority of my friends, family, and coworkers are "truck guys". I was simply trying to inject a little humor into my post, because people who incessantly post "bump" have always bothered me.

As to the second one, again, no attitude intended. But I do believe that's fair, no? I'd already read the factory literature on both products prior to posting, and I posted the question because neither manufacturer is going to speak to the flaws in their product, whereas consumers will, often loudly. That's what I was after, experience between the two that the manufacturers won't let you see.

I'm not an ASE certified Master tech. Not even close. I love doing this kind of work, but I don't have the skill nor the setup to do it professionally. My truck is my daily driver. I can't afford to go running to the shop for every little thing, and I don't want to anyway. I'm not the type of guy to pay someone to do something that I can do myself.

So I'm going to have a lot of questions. I greatly enjoy mechanic's work, but at the same time I need some pointers from those who know more than I do, because trial and error isn't an option on this vehicle at this time.

Again, if an offensive attitude was somehow coveyed in my posts, it was not intentional.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:42 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't sense any attitude with your posts.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:46 AM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Originally Posted by bashby
I didn't sense any attitude with your posts.
Thank ya.

By the way, I like that signature

Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
If that is the way I was coming across, then it was certainly unintentional.
I apologize then, I took it wrong. For what it's worth, the smiley was a big part of it for me. I've never thought of a positive use for that one. Yes, bumping a thread to the top can be a useful and often necessary tactic which, as you said, can be done well or badly. Sorry I took your's wrong. As to the second, I read FordTruckfan89's post to be giving personal opinion at least, if not experience, which it seemed you might be overlooking if not discounting. But I was already biased by my (mis)reading of your second post, so I probably was too harsh there too.

Again, sorry for reading you wrong.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:58 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I went to look at how to rebuild a ford power steering box, I discovered how redhead adds a bearing to eliminate excessive play from the actual box casting being worn down. I already put seals in mine, no leaks at all. but It does have more play then I want. But my truck is also gonna need injectors,(idles like crap) so something will have to wait a bit. Life of a college student.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:31 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Interesting.

So how big of a deal is it to install a new steering gearbox? Can it be done in a garage on a weekend? Or is it more specialized than that?

Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only special tool needed is a pitman arm puller, once you pull that, theres the steering shaft, remove hoses to box, one connector, and the box bolts to the frame. I would take the tire/wheel off to access it. Check your TRE's and balljoints before considering box replacement as they could be the culprit also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help With My Steering Gearbox: Motorcraft or Redhead?