1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

A couple of questions about my upcoming 120K service

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:40 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A couple of questions about my upcoming 120K service

As the title says I'm coming up on 120k and in looking at the schedule I'm suppose to change the following (among other things):

1. The PVC - where is it on the 2.3? The link in the tech folder lost the picture

2. Tranny fluid and filter change - How hard is this? What do you torque the pan bolts to? Does anyone have a good write up on it?

3. I was suppose to change the coolant at 100K so I guess I'll do that also. I know that with my 6.0 we changed to CAT ELC coolant over the Ford Premium Gold due to the filter getting gummed up. Is that the situation with the Ranger?

Thanks guys!

Old 05-29-2015, 03:52 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Also, where is the fuel filter?
Thanks

Old 05-30-2015, 11:46 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Good idea on performing the 120K scheduled maintenance service.
Look in your Owner, or Scheduled Maintenance manuals & see if your 4banger gets its PCV valve replaced by the Dealer at no cost, some years do. Its buried & difficult to get at & costly, so since you've likely already paid Ford to do it, make it their problem this go round.
Scroll down to the bottom of the "Tech Info" thread for a how to on performing a tranny filter change & Full fluid pumpout, doing a procedure the Dealers used before getting their Routnda machines. I've done it a number of times on my Fords, the Taurus year before last & have been rewarded with improved shifting.
Not sure about the coolant on the newer vehicles, maybe someone reading this that does, will chime in.
Let us know how your 120K service goes.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:09 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Pawpaw I was hoping you' chime in...I think I saw you a couple of months ago on 581 in Roanoke if your license plate is your screen name...

I'll see if I can find the info in the tech folder but it looks like some of the links aren't working...

Old 05-30-2015, 03:18 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
From the bottom of Tech Info (Miscellaneous section), here is how I did my Ranger 5R55E tranny filter change & full fluid pumpout back in 07. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-pump-out.html

My fuel filter is on the drivers side frame rail, back about where the door & seat are.
To bleed off fuel pressure, disable the fuel pump/trip the inertia switch, so the pump won't run, then crank the engine until it stops firing. Loosen but don't remove the gas cap, so the tank won't build pressure while you have the line open (Just remember to re-tighten the gas cap after installing the fuel filter).
Have a rag handy to catch some fuel that's in the filter that'll likely dribble out, so don't put yourself right under the filter when working it.
I'd recommend using Motorcraft parts/filters. You can get them at Basham's/Motorcraft Distributor, usually for a decent price.
I'm trying Chevron licensed Mercon-V fluid in the Taurus with good results so far, if you want to try something other than Motorcraft tranny fluid in your tranny & power steering, which also needs service by now.
I'm also using the Chevron licensed ATF+4 in the Wife's Neon tranny & power steering with good results over about 4 years now. This was a reason for me to try Chevron in the Taurus tranny pump out year before last.
Nope, that wasn't me on I-581.
Let us know how the maintenance service goes.