6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue

Old 05-29-2015, 11:18 AM
wharrell
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue

Here is the TSB

http://http://wnharrell.com/superduty/tsb15-0088.pdf

I was hoping for a fix but this TSB is not a fix and does not apply to my case.

What Ford is saying in the TSB does not apply to my case as I do not let my truck sit around idling and all but 2 of my regenerations have been allowed to fully complete. I also have never gotten the 'Drive to Clean Message' and only get the 'Cleaning Exhaust Filter' Brief Message. 'Drive to Clean' is only displayed if regular regenerations are not being allowed to complete or there is some failure or clog in the Diesel Particulate Filter.

I will continue down the path of monitoring all of the injector fuel flows during regeneration to closely monitor what is going on with the fuel flow when the valves jack hammer. Initial analysis shows that when jack hammering occurs, injector fuel flow to injectors 1-4 are not stable. This is inconclusive at this point and I will continue to test as I only just this past Saturday started monitoring injector fuel flow during regeneration with the ForScan app.

Why can't a Ford Engineer actually get out of a silo or a from behind a firewall and address the issue in a customer facing manner?

I would advise anyone considering purchasing a 2015 to be aware of this issue as some trucks have it, but most trucks do not. As of now, be prepared that if you get a truck that has the issue, you are stuck with it and it will affect your resale or trade in value or possibly expose you to legal action from another purchaser of your truck at a later date. Would you knowingly purchase a truck that has this issue?

It is also important to note that when towing, this issue is a significant safety hazard as you will not be able to control the truck/trailer under all operating conditions when this issue occurs.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
tsb15-0088.pdf (250.5 KB, 1385 views)
Old 05-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am about to buy a 2015. I actually went and talked to a few techs at the dealer. They said that the 6.7 has been very, very reliable. Our Canadian diesel is actually better than the US fuel for lubricity, or so I was told.
They have only seen 2 HPFP pump failures since the 6.7 was introduced and one was from DEF added to the fuel and the other from bad fuel.
They have not seen the this issue that you have, as I asked about it. They did say that early 6.7's had some valve trouble but they hadn't seen any.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
How you can be legally liable from another purchaser is beyond my comprehension. How is the end user of a vehicle responsible for a potential Ford manufacturing defect?

I sure wish I could force a manual regen when I know I am going on a long enough drive. It would prevent the many cleaning exhaust filter messages right before I pull into my driveway. Why Ford only thinks buyers of XL trim trucks can do this is another thing I don't understand...

Thanks for posting the TSB.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Bwahahaha, nice attempt at sensationalizing your situation with ridiculous silly claims.

Legal action? ROFL
Sensationalize all YOU want

As a Christian individual, would you be dishonest and hide the issue and not disclose to another individual looking to purchase your truck if it had the issue?

You don't sound like the type of individual I would ever purchase a vehicle from.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
As a gearhead, technical, and general auto enthusiast, I would know if something was wrong during a regen or otherwise.

My wife, on the other hand is not. To her a vehicle is utility and transportation. She doesn't drive fast or spirited. Doesn't notice most things about her car... So if she primarily drove a super duty truck and traded it in, she wouldn't even know something was wrong.

Hence the saying goes, if you buy used its caveat emptor. You take your chances. Although some people here have sold their cars on their own, most people do not. They get traded in and then auctioned off -- In fact, I traded in a truck (not a Ford) that had an unpredictable accelerator pedal. Sometimes it would take off fine and other times it wouldn't. If it had a problem it would have been a buyback. If it came back on me, I had a sheet of paper from the service center that said it was fine and a hearing that I lost which also said the vehicle was fine. I wasn't going to get my family (or me) hurt or killed. It becomes the manufacturer and that dealer's service centers problem - not mine.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:02 PM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Dakster
As a gearhead, technical, and general auto enthusiast, I would know if something was wrong during a regen or otherwise.

My wife, on the other hand is not. To her a vehicle is utility and transportation. She doesn't drive fast or spirited. Doesn't notice most things about her car... So if she primarily drove a super duty truck and traded it in, she wouldn't even know something was wrong.

Hence the saying goes, if you buy used its caveat emptor. You take your chances. Although some people here have sold their cars on their own, most people do not. They get traded in and then auctioned off -- In fact, I traded in a truck (not a Ford) that had an unpredictable accelerator pedal. Sometimes it would take off fine and other times it wouldn't. If it had a problem it would have been a buyback. If it came back on me, I had a sheet of paper from the service center that said it was fine and a hearing that I lost which also said the vehicle was fine. I wasn't going to get my family (or me) hurt or killed. It becomes the manufacturer and that dealer's service centers problem - not mine.
Wholeheartedly Concur.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wharrell
Here is the TSB

What Ford is saying in the TSB does not apply to my case as I do not let my truck sit around idling and all but 2 of my regenerations have been allowed to fully complete. I also have never gotten the 'Drive to Clean Message' and only get the 'Cleaning Exhaust Filter' Brief Message. 'Drive to Clean' is only displayed if regular regenerations are not being allowed to complete or there is some failure or clog in the Diesel Particulate Filter.

I will continue down the path of monitoring all of the injector fuel flows during regeneration to closely monitor what is going on with the fuel flow when the valves jack hammer. Initial analysis shows that when jack hammering occurs, injector fuel flow to injectors 1-4 are not stable. This is inconclusive at this point and I will continue to test as I only just this past Saturday started monitoring injector fuel flow during regeneration with the ForScan app.

Why can't a Ford Engineer actually get out of a silo or a from behind a firewall and address the issue in a customer facing manner?

I would advise anyone considering purchasing a 2015 to be aware of this issue as some trucks have it, but most trucks do not. As of now, be prepared that if you get a truck that has the issue, you are stuck with it and it will affect your resale or trade in value or possibly expose you to legal action from another purchaser of your truck at a later date. Would you knowingly purchase a truck that has this issue?

It is also important to note that when towing, this issue is a significant safety hazard as you will not be able to control the truck/trailer under all operating conditions when this issue occurs.
I just read the attachment, what a freaking joke........that is considered a TSB?
So, If I read it correctly, the corrective action is to have the customer "read" the information sheet...glad I pulled that junk out from underneath my truck.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wharrell
Here is the TSB

Just stop with the constant misinformation.

You keep posting threads claiming that the valves are slapping pistons, and that the valve issue that affected a few of the very early build 6.7L's is somehow a problem on all 6.7L's in all years. Yet you don't even have your facts straight about the original valve issue on the early 6.7L's to begin with, and you don't have a clue about what you're talking about now.

This is getting ridiculous.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:21 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
The emissions systems since 2008 model year and bit before that are not kind to the commuter unless that commute is on the hwy.

Diesels are not too good for stop and go all the time. This TSB so much of says that.

I had no problems out of the emission components on my 08. That was the first year of the DPF and massive EGR. But my truck is not driven in the city very much.

Same with my current truck.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 AM
wharrell
Tuned

Originally Posted by Pocket
Just stop with the constant misinformation.

You keep posting threads claiming that the valves are slapping pistons, and that the valve issue that affected a few of the very early build 6.7L's is somehow a problem on all 6.7L's in all years. Yet you don't even have your facts straight about the original valve issue on the early 6.7L's to begin with, and you don't have a clue about what you're talking about now.

This is getting ridiculous.

I do have the facts straight and am full aware of the history of issues on the 2011-2013 as compared to the 2015s issues which Ford says has different valves and should not have the previous issue.

Talk to my Purchasing Dealer's service director and he will change your false statement that you just posted.

Also speak to 2 owners who recently had their trucks bought back by Ford for this issue and 1 owner who was given a new engine at 5000 miles due to this issue.

It is Ford Diesel Techs who feel the valves are slapping the pistons. You should take a ride in one of these trucks that have the issue where the truck can even violently jackhammer to the point the truck stumbles and stalls. I have only let mine go that far twice on the first 2 times the issue occurred as i learned I could gear down from 6 to 4 or 5 to 3 immediately upon the regeneration starting to avoid having the issue.

See your PM and give me a call and we can discuss.

Have a blessed day.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
I am all for free speech. I spent 26 years of my life helping to protect that right for folks. What I like even more though is educated free speech. -Glenn

Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
If...a valve were to "slap" a piston...the truck would no longer run...or at least only for a few revolutions while it sends shrapnel through the motor.

These valves do not float.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the pistons hit the valves it's game over.
As a mechanic I have seen interference engines destroyed.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
If...a valve were to "slap" a piston...the truck would no longer run...or at least only for a few revolutions while it sends shrapnel through the motor.

These valves do not float.
Agreed.

Wharrell if a "Ford Diesel Tech" is telling you values are "slapping the pistons" kindly take back yours keys, walk to the door then once outside run to your truck and drive away as fast as you can. Returning to said "Ford Diesel Tech" is inadvisable.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:00 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Issue is Ford Dearborn does not know or will not acknowledge what is going on.

I have also suspected the root cause as torque converter issues during regeneration but have no way to isolate/prove this as it happens for me only during regenerations. The reason this is suspected as when th issue starts (typically 20 seconds into regenration), dropping gears from 6 to 4 or 5 to 3 and increasing RPMs will cause the issue to cease for me for that specific regeneration.

I am currently down the path of closely monitoring my gauge logs for the fuel flow to all 8 cylinders during regenrations where the problem manifests itself.

The customer should not have to figure this out for Ford.

Most dealerships are lost if a DTC code is not thrown and none are captured with this issue.

Hoepfully this issue can be solved via a PCM programming strategy change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue