6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LOL I just read the TDS forum again. Someone called out good ol' Nick on how he mistakenly identified the intake valves as the culprit.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:44 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
LOL I just read the TDS forum again. Someone called out good ol' Nick on how he mistakenly identified the intake valves as the culprit.
A day or two back, I followed a link here back to a "Nick" thread on TDS. Almost felt sorry for him. As a business owner, he should have stayed out of this. Seems he is now having trouble admitting he may not have been correct. After reading his posts, I wouldn't have his company check the air in my tires.

Just me, I know we have fans here. I'm not one of them.

bruce...

Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Tombeckeran
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So where did this end up? Any resolution?

Maybe a dumb question, but if the truck is shaking because it has some type of build up in the engine from driving city type miles, can you run it on a highway for an hour and clean it out so the shaking doesn't recur? It seems Ford thinks its due to city like driving, high idle frequency and stuff building up in the engine.

Btw, my 250 started doing this at 5k miles. I can keep it shaking if I maintain the same speed when it starts. Everything shakes and very infrequently I will hear a clank clank clank. I thought it was the infamous death wobble until I read this forum and boy does this seem smack on.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tombeckeran
Maybe a dumb question, but if the truck is shaking because it has some type of build up in the engine from driving city type miles, can you run it on a highway for an hour and clean it out so the shaking doesn't recur? It seems Ford thinks its due to city like driving, high idle frequency and stuff building up in the engine.

Btw, my 250 started doing this at 5k miles. I can keep it shaking if I maintain the same speed when it starts. Everything shakes and very infrequently I will hear a clank clank clank. I thought it was the infamous death wobble until I read this forum and boy does this seem smack on.
Once it's there, it takes a lot longer than an hour on the highway to clean it out.

I've already seen what my valves looked like when they were removed.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Tombeckeran
New User
Thanks for the quick response.

Is the PCM reprogramming fix out ( I was reading April 2016)? Do you know if the fix has worked? I ask this because several posters seem to indicate that this is happening on higher mileage trucks as well (rural drivers perhaps).

I am debating between bringing my truck in to be serviced or trading it in before it gets worse. I am having the debate because it appears the people on this forum are being dragged through a lot of pain and confusion without a solution all the while recording a known problem for a vehicle which may need to be sold (so loos in resale value potentially). However, if the PCM fix works, I'll schedule it. I also for the life of me can't understand why there is not a recall or thousands more complaining.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Thanks for the quick response.

Is the PCM reprogramming fix out ( I was reading April 2016)? Do you know if the fix has worked? I ask this because several posters seem to indicate that this is happening on higher mileage trucks as well (rural drivers perhaps).

I am debating between bringing my truck in to be serviced or trading it in before it gets worse. I am having the debate because it appears the people on this forum are being dragged through a lot of pain and confusion without a solution all the while recording a known problem for a vehicle which may need to be sold (so loos in resale value potentially). However, if the PCM fix works, I'll schedule it. I also for the life of me can't understand why there is not a recall or thousands more complaining.
Yes the calibration fix is out. The change was now both banks are fueled during regen, rather than the driver's side only. That was what caused the entire issue to begin with. Had nothing to do with horror stories of improper valve guide clearance or anything of the sort.

Not everyone experienced the problem either, since the symptoms were reliant on driving style, amount of regens, fuel quality, and a few other factors. That's why symptoms for some came and went. For others remained. And for even more (the vast majority of owners), never once surfaced at all. That's why there hasn't been a recall.

For most people, a simple calibration update will be fine. If you're currently experiencing the shaking/clattering during your most recent regens, then have the dealer replace the driver's side exhaust valves as well.

I've had it done to my truck and all has been great so far.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't let the shaking continue! Lock out gears to get the RPMs up above 1500.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Tombeckeran
New User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Yes the calibration fix is out. The change was now both banks are fueled during regen, rather than the driver's side only. That was what caused the entire issue to begin with. Had nothing to do with horror stories of improper valve guide clearance or anything of the sort.

Not everyone experienced the problem either, since the symptoms were reliant on driving style, amount of regens, fuel quality, and a few other factors. That's why symptoms for some came and went. For others remained. And for even more (the vast majority of owners), never once surfaced at all. That's why there hasn't been a recall.

For most people, a simple calibration update will be fine. If you're currently experiencing the shaking/clattering during your most recent regens, then have the dealer replace the driver's side exhaust valves as well.

I've had it done to my truck and all has been great so far.
Fantastic news you just gave me. I will schedule and let the forum know of any hopeful success.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curtis - has your fuel economy changed since the update?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Curtis - has your fuel economy changed since the update?
Yes, but also the fuel switched to summer blend so jury is still out.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
I'm wondering how to get my personal best 16 mpg up to 17... Regens are what kills it. I have been running on a 17.2 MPG for 300 miles, then whammo - Regen knocks it down to 15.x and I nurse it back to mid 15's..

-- edit
I have not had the update applied --- yet....

Old 06-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Just wanted to update everyone, we have had some hot days here in Atlanta and I have had plenty of regens in the "trouble zone" all conditions that I experienced last year. The truck has not skipped a beat or even a hint of the shudder it did last year.

When it started last year it did so at about 13k miles, truck now has 42k on it. My driving style and habits have not changed at all. I fuel up at one of 2 fuel stations 90% of the time. The only thing I have changed on my truck is I went to 35" tires and a 2.5" level kit other than that I haven't changed anything.

My oil changes are still on 7k mile interval and I did change to T-6 full synthetic from standard oil and I continue not to use any fuel additives. If I make it through the entire summer problem free I would say whatever the hell was going on is gone.

Hopefully some of you other guys have had the same experience....I was concerned because I want to keep this truck for a while. Other than that issue it has been problem free.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
I am glad there is a solution to this problem.
And also glad we are finished with the misinformation about $8 valves hitting pistons, improper guide clearances that need to be machined, and all the blather.
I wonder if the regen will use less fuel being it is on both banks now?

Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricohman
I am glad there is a solution to this problem.
And also glad we are finished with the misinformation about $8 valves hitting pistons, improper guide clearances that need to be machined, and all the blather.
I wonder if the regen will use less fuel being it is on both banks now?
+1

This was such a hot topic all over the internet prior to the release of the TSB. After the release, I did not notice a mad rush from FTE members to get the fix applied. Maybe I missed everyone reporting back on the results.

My 2015 does not suffer this issue but my 2011 did suffer the regen issues back in those days. My dealer applied the 2011 TSB and the truck ran perfect until I traded it. I wouldn't hesitate getting this TSB applied if my 2015 had an issue.

bruce....

Old 06-10-2016, 06:39 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Two things I am still trying to find out:

1) The reflash is now rumored to add fuel to both banks. How has anyone confirmed that? Does Ford say so?

2) If you go in and get your PCM reflashed on a 2015, is this the one you get regardless? Or only if you have a complaint about "jackhammering"?

Quick Reply: Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue