6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by louisianashooter
I didn't know about this forum until a member of PSA directed me to this thread. He read my thread about weird vibrations occuring around a regen. You can look me up on other forums, as I use the same name and I have more than 20 posts on other forums.

So if you're inferring that I'm some lifeless user who creates multiple fake accounts on forums to try to make a point to other internet people, you're mistaken.

Nope...not you...someone else.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard from Ford today on my case.

I was told that there will be a 'callibration change' released in early 2nd quarter 2016 (9 to 10 months) to address the Active Regeneration Valve issue where the engine shakes anywhere from moderate to a violent level around 30 seconds into regeneration.

I was not told what actually is causing the issue nor why it will take 9+ months.

Will this fix it or are we being slow rolled out of lemon law parameters?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wharrell
I heard from Ford today on my case.

I was told that there will be a 'callibration change' released in early 2nd quarter 2016 (9 to 10 months) to address the Active Regeneration Valve issue where the engine shakes anywhere from moderate to a violent level around 30 seconds into regeneration.

I was not told what actually is causing the issue nor why it will take 9+ months.

Will this fix it or are we being slow rolled out of lemon law parameters?
This makes no sense. If Ford knows how to fix this why not do it now? Is it going to take 10 months to write the software?
I am inclined to think your theory of delayed engines in early 2014 has some merit. And I'm not even close to a conspiracy guy.
Did you look at the passenger side valve cover/intake yet for a build date?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whenever you change perameters on emissions related programming, you also need EPA permission. They will test all results before issuing permits. It will take time.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:53 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd try a buy back.
If they won't, lemon law it if possible.
At least they've acknowledged a problem.
Sorry.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
Thanks Louisanna, no,,, well it can. Some can get out of it by down shifting . There was a guy down in Texas and now under a gag agreement, that couldn't and a few exhaust valve on the driver's bank of course, dropped and the powder metal rods were not having it so they escaped thru the side of block. That story can be found by googling, " 6.7 Blown Motor $25k". It's is or was, it was still to be found on another forum.
I have seen quite a few of motors small hard items got into the cylinder and beat the piston face pretty good and they were ok after removal but it obviously dependent on how long it goes on. In the case of the 6.7 because it's not a seizure of the valve but a monetary stick till the Pistons smacks it out of this state the piston is not be "shredded" due to the lack of major resistance and the geometry used on the valvesbut those who continue to allow the condition, what does happen is spider web cracking radiating out from the guide in the aluminum head.This will eventually lead to a valve drop with spectacular results.
Ford was close with cleaning or replacing them. They would stay out for awhile that way for awhile till the normal film built back up on the stem. This film is normal overtime and is not coking in the traditional sense. Anytime exhaust back pressure exceeds atmosphere the exhaust gasses will escape vent right up the exhaust guide,this is normal. This film takes up the room that was allowing for thermal expansion, now we are sticking again. Minor differences in I.D. On guides from different runs and tooling.
REAM

Old 06-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
I liked the last buy back I heard about, they did an even swap out for him. He gets the new truck and almost immediately the new one was doing it. Couple days later the " hand them this, it's normal came out". Hmmm normal,,,, that's why he was swapped out.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
I would have a tough time letting anyone tear into a new engine in a 70K truck. And if it didn't fix the problem I would lose my mind.
Maybe Ford (wink wink nudge nudge) would let the affected owners delete the crap that is causing the problem? So there are a few trucks running around deleted. But the problem is solved and the owners are happy.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:37 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
Whenever you change perameters on emissions related programming, you also need EPA permission. They will test all results before issuing permits. It will take time.

Indeed, this is why it takes time.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did some checking on this issue.

The current theory is that there may be an actual issue concerning the valves. However, it's not what has been described in this thread by some folks.

The issue is that the valves are possibly not seating all the way at slight throttle tip in during regen. The valves are not actually hitting the pistons, so no engine damage is occurring. But because they aren't completely seated, the engine makes noise and some vibration occurs.

Ford is investigating and it will take time to pinpoint, test, and approve an exact solution. It could entail parts swapping, or it could be a calibration update.

That is the information I have received that has trickled down from the powers that be.

The conspiracy theories that Ford is trying to hide this, or that there was a mishap on engine builds, or that customers are being swept under the rug.... all have no merit behind them. This is not a very common problem, and it's difficult for dealers to duplicate. But Ford is now getting more information and is investigating.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:15 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Good update Curtis. Always good to read your posts that seem to cut through the BS.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Nick in Maryland
Senior User
It's not bs, it's been documented time and time again. People have been thru the mill having the truck torn apart up to thee times in one case I know of. Yes, it has also been swept under the rug telling owners it's normal.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
I read it on the internet so it must be true. I'm now a believer! That damn Ford... out to screw us again! I'm buying a Ram tomorrow first thing...

Old 06-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nick in Maryland
It's not bs, it's been documented time and time again. People have been thru the mill having the truck torn apart up to thee times in one case I know of. Yes, it has also been swept under the rug telling owners it's normal.
It seems its the same 3 or 4 posters on all the Ford diesel sites. Sometimes the posts are even in the same order. You guys must call each other in advance or something.
That said, its a very small number of trucks. But I don't want to be in that group and I hope the problems get fixed soon.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I read it on the internet so it must be true. I'm now a believer! That damn Ford... out to screw us again! I'm buying a Ram tomorrow first thing...

I'll buy the chebby so I can drag the frame with the sissy front end.

Quick Reply: Ford Releases TSB 15-0088 For 2015 Active Regeneration Jackhammer Valves Issue