1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

PROJECT 53' Aluminator Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:02 PM
trumph
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work looks good

Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So now that the cab off I worked on the IFS install. The boxing plates need to be mounted square. I measured the frame rails and cut the longer one to match. I had to remove some from the top and bottom. The blue tape is on the bottom and needs to be cut off.

I leveled the frame front to back and side to side on jack stands with shims. Then I clamped the boxing plates on and test fit the cross member. Whoops. Round peg square hole.

The issue is my frame. The bottom of the frame measures correct for width. The top is too narrow. It is actually visible now that I know. The rest of the frame is perfect. But for some reason just past the factory cross member the top of the frame rails tilt in tword each other.

There were a few work arounds I could think of. But I'd rather get the twist out rather than cutting the frame to accept the cross member. I made a little spreader bar out of a RV jack stand I had and some steel 90° channel. Just welded the nut between the channel, and a nut to the threaded part. A few twists with a wrench and it was perfect. Top and bottom the same, and the cross member dropped right in. Nice. Now a level on the side of the frame shows square, as before they were tilted in.

I took it all apart and sprayed the plates and frame with weld through. Then reassembled with the spreader bar. The bar will stay in while I weld. With the plate installed I set the frame to my previously measured rake of 1.5° and set it level in all directions. Then set the cross member in and leveled it side to side, front to back.

Then after I took a break and made sure I wasn't doing something stupid like welding the crossmmber in backwards lol. I re cheaked all my measurements, checked the levels again, then tacked it in. Then welder er up. Well.... I ain't never going to win an award for pretty welds. But they are solid and have penetration. I don't grind them down unless I need to for figment of a part.

I hit up the welded spots with some primer to keep oxidation at bay until I strip the frame next summer and epoxy paint it. I re checked the levels. Good to go. No on to the rear.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM
highdesert55
Senior User
looks good. Are you going to box the whole frame with that much HP or will it be ok not to?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Originally Posted by highdesert55
looks good. Are you going to box the whole frame with that much HP or will it be ok not to?
I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet. I'm going to see if I have to c notch the rear and plan off that.

I got the rack and sway bar all mocked up. No issues with the tie rods being too short like you mentioned. Did you ever sort that out?

Also the instructions call to c notch the front frame area for the steering arms. I checked on full compression and I still have lots of clearance. Maybe you just need the notches if you use the 2" drop spindles?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
nice. I notched mine, but I do have the dropped spindles and have my sway bar in front. my rack was wrong because TCI adds an extension on the drivers side under the boot to compensate for the xmember being off centered and they forgot it on mine.
Are you doing the TCI's four link out back?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Are you doing the TCI's four link out back?

Yup. It's just mocked up. I have to get the tires mounted and determine ride height. I have plans for a tubular rear cross member/ drive shaft loop / torque box. But the more I think about it, the more I think I should box it all. Hmmmm.... Got some figuring to do.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
I got the tires mounted to the new wheels. Width measurements came out perfect. Phew.

In the process I decided to box the rest of the frame and picked up material to do so. Figured if I didn't do it now I'd be wishing all along that I did. Going to use 1/8" plate. I'll also have to rework the rear coil over perch. So I picked up some 1 3/4" DOM and other assorted sized or 1/8" wall tubing for bolts to pass through the frame.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
looking good, please keep us updated on this build. I am considering boxing my frame too so it would be good to see how you tackle it. I'm still trying to decide what 4 link kit to do (either tci or no limit probably)and waiting for my Coyote to show up.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
looking good, please keep us updated on this build. I am considering boxing my frame too so it would be good to see how you tackle it. I'm still trying to decide what 4 link kit to do (either tci or no limit probably)and waiting for my Coyote to show up.

I did no limit fatbar 4 link. Looks good. Definitely not bolt in.

Name:  03663D72-6055-4A6E-9145-A65E3BAC073F_zpsxfq96rps.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  C1F8B108-0B73-4A8F-80F0-10302AFF12D3_zpsl98yc46y.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  E4B52D1E-0F08-43AA-AC30-C9E64AA41C80_zpswec5xzkt.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  147.2 KB

Name:  1C74D292-BBA7-459F-8063-31A0B3F393D9_zpsjneoxtre.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  85.6 KB

Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
Honestly that is the one I am leaning toward, I saw a truck at a car show with it and loved it. I worry though about the shocks on the outside of the frame. I want to go with 10 or 12'' wide wheels and I worry I might have clearance issues with those shocks so far out.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Honestly that is the one I am leaning toward, I saw a truck at a car show with it and loved it. I worry though about the shocks on the outside of the frame. I want to go with 10 or 12'' wide wheels and I worry I might have clearance issues with those shocks so far out.
My rear tires are 20x10 chip goose nitrous wheels. I did extend my rear axle housing a few inches so I didn't have to tub the bed

Old 07-09-2015, 03:42 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Chip Goose? Wow they must be kinda Fowl? Ya think?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:36 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Chip Goose? Wow they must be kinda Fowl? Ya think?

Lol. Yelp. Their knock offs. Got em at Walmart. When I do burn outs they go "squawk squawk!!"

Old 07-09-2015, 05:10 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
Anybody know what 4 link kit this one is? I like this one too, maybe it has to do with the sick burnout in this instagram video.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
I'll post some pics of the boxing. Some of the bracing will have to wait until the engine/trans/driveshaft/exhaust is ready. What sold me on the TCI was the rear sway bar set up. I didn't post any pics of it yet, but its pretty slick.

I have my E-Stopp parking brake set up here now, and a fuel cell from No-Limit with a return line and LS in tank pump is "in the mail". Hope to have most of the boxing done this weekend.

Quick Reply: PROJECT 53' Aluminator Build